Sasha & Rockne??? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Sasha & Rockne???

aftertherain

Record Breaker
She was looking pretty good leading up to 2010 Nats...

Really? I thought she was really thin at Nationals (unless you really mean leading up to Nationals, then IDK) and I remember she was talking about her weight with her coach for a brief moment during K&C following her short program.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yes-I meant I thought she looked healthier post 2006 Olympics through pre 2010 Nationals. What was said about her weight following SP? I thought she sad something about her stomach not feeling well, like she had been sick or something?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Word is that Mary Beth Marley, the 2009 Novice Ladies champion has tried out and is not training with Rockne. She reminds me a lot of Keauna, very spunky (with a bouncy ponytail) yet smaller in stature. If Mary can continue landing her double axels like I have seen her do them and land a triple salchow every now and then, this could be the begining of a beautiful partnership.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Word is that Mary Beth Marley, the 2009 Novice Ladies champion has tried out and is not training with Rockne. She reminds me a lot of Keauna, very spunky (with a bouncy ponytail) yet smaller in stature. If Mary can continue landing her double axels like I have seen her do them and land a triple salchow every now and then, this could be the begining of a beautiful partnership.

you said she was "not" training though??

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Awful idea. Someone out of Novice? Much too young. He needs a partner with maturity.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yes I did mean "now."
I agree that Rockne needs somebody older, especially if she is too young for worlds this year. Rockne was, IMO a little old for Keauna (or you could say she was too young). But if nobody else can be found, this girl does have star power and nice basics.

gold12345

Medalist
If she's really that short, she probably won't grow much past 5'0", if that. I don't think it will matter much when she grows... the mental maturity is probably more of a factor. Others are saying she's out of Novice, but she actually did Junior singles last year-- she just didn't make it to Nationals after rough skates in the qualifying competitions. She'll quickly have to mature for any Sr International competitions, if they make it, in a new discipline no less. Or maybe the opposite will happen and she will feel less pressure if everything happens so quickly.Who knows. I wonder how fast she can learn pairs while also competing singles. I hope this pairing works out, because the thought of not seeing Keauna or Rockne at Nationals this year was just sad to me. Still, there is no rush for a pair a few days old.

yes I did mean "now."
I agree that Rockne needs somebody older, especially if she is too young for worlds this year. Rockne was, IMO a little old for Keauna (or you could say she was too young). But if nobody else can be found, this girl does have star power and nice basics.

I don't think Keauna was too young for Rockne. They were both teenagers when they paired up and got to do a Junior season. I liked their connection together on the ice a lot. If you consider that too young, then you won't like this. :laugh: Mary Beth is just old enough for Worlds though, turning 15 before July 1. If the only other option was Sasha (and I doubt that was a real option), this has to be better no matter how young she is.

Last edited:

OHgal

Rinkside
Exquisite!!!

WOW! That was beautiful. What a bendy little thing she is, LOL.

Despite appearances, that girl is not frail. Anyone with the strength to do what she was doing in that video is as tough as nails. (Not the same as landing a throw triple, granted, but still!)

just wondering

On the Ice
Mary Beth will be great. At 15, she stands < 4'10" (4'11" at the absolute most) and is unlikely to shoot up beyond what Rockne can easily manage. At Skate Detroit, she was F A S T across the ice & springy in her jumps. Yes, she looks unpolished and not senior pairs quality on the ice yet, but under the proper direction, those finishing touches will come. In the meantime, we will have the pleasure of watching her compete with attack and consistency as she learns the intricacies of a top level pair. They will be fun to watch develop over the next few years!!!

Cal Girl

Rinkside
Where are they going to train? Springs or LA?
Sorry but I know many girls who were 4' 11" and grew to 5' 4" when they were 14 and 15.
This pairing does not sound good to me - I thought he and Keauna looked odd when she just started and she looked a lot older than MaryBeth.
I do not think the success or throws will come easily or stay consistent as she transitions through puberty.
Not a good choice, but obviously not much out there to choose from.