Sasha & Rockne??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha & Rockne???

aurora100

Final Flight
They should go for it. No matter what, they will become a show stopper from the beginning and even if they don't get all the way to the top in the world, they would still be good enough for some awesome show numbers. It would not take much to get to the top of the US Nationals right now.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I don't know if it will actually happen, but I'd be happy to see Sasha compete again if that's what she wants to do. Whatever happens I wish both of them the best of luck in whatever they end up doing :)

mousepotato

On the Ice
I hope Rockne doesn't entertain this idea for one second. For Sasha it would be a neat way to stay in the spotlight if she could handle it with all her injuries. Pairs skating is one tough sport esp for the girl. Jumping a triple sal is one thing, being thrown is quite another.

Rockne is only 24 and he can scour the earth to find a skater he can work with over the next 4 or 8 years, to waste his time on Sasha would be a career killer for him.

gold12345

Medalist
I'm in agreement. It is possible that her 2010 attempt to return ignited that competetive fire in her, I saw it in her eyes after her SP. Perhaps she missed the adulation. She has a star quality that is good for the sport.

Excluding the time missed due to injury, how much time did Sasha really spend seriously training for 2010? It didn't sound like it was much, and she said afterward that she was done competing. So I have my doubts of her truly having competitive fire for a brand new discipline of skating for at least 4 years.

I hope Rockne doesn't entertain this idea for one second. For Sasha it would be a neat way to stay in the spotlight if she could handle it with all her injuries. Pairs skating is one tough sport esp for the girl. Jumping a triple sal is one thing, being thrown is quite another.

Rockne is only 24 and he can scour the earth to find a skater he can work with over the next 4 or 8 years, to waste his time on Sasha would be a career killer for him.

I'm not sure if it would kill his career (he could keep looking for a partner), but it could potentially be a big waste of time to teach a girl of that age pairs from scratch. I tend to doubt Sasha has a burning desire to be a pair skater. I don't know if she would be a good match for Rockne in terms of work ethic and being able to work with a partner either.

It would not take much to get to the top of the US Nationals right now.

That's what Sasha thought about the Ladies competition last season. :rolleye: If she really is interested in pairs, I have a feeling she's underestimating how tough it's going to be. Even if she doesn't compete again, I hope she is putting on some mass and gaining a little strength because she looked painfully thin at Nationals, almost scary looking.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen has amazing qualities as a skater and they are on display on Stars on Ice where you can see her spins and spirals and other moves but if she has a desire to skate competitively and thinks she can do pairs than more power to her. Now you could say she would be keeping Rockne down but after his nationals 2010 I am sure he just wants to do better and if this pairing ever got off the ground (Unlikely!!) well than Sasha would understand that too!!

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Excluding the time missed due to injury, how much time did Sasha really spend seriously training for 2010? It didn't sound like it was much, and she said afterward that she was done competing. So I have my doubts of her truly having competitive fire for a brand new discipline of skating for at least 4 years.

Excluding missed training time due to injury, I would say certainly not enough training to put out a Moonlight Sonata LP @ Nationals up to her abilities and standards. Her short program to Espana Cani was well done, not her best however.

I don't recall Sasha stating that she was done competing, in fact I thought she left the door open. Did I miss something?

Whether or not is is willing to commit to 4 more years in a new discipline is another story.
Remember Rockne still has a say in all of this also. It is fascinating.

MKFSfan

Medalist
NYscorp6 said:
While I realize this is a long shot, thinking of the possiblity of Sasha Cohen and Rockne Brubaker brought back memories of SOI 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KexhyMA5kI

I must say it appears the lifts would not be a problem.
(John Zimmerman would work as well as Rockne).

Thanks for sharing-never saw it in entirety before. It was a great performance of Sasha's flexibility, showing very nice positions, and a good show of a performer trusting the skaters to lift and spin with her. Not sure how much would lend to Pairs skating-well, aside full trust in your partner! I'd imagine learning to spin and jump in sync would be very difficult. Unless her partner was already in sync with her, I'd imagine she'd have to tweak a lot of mechanics and muscle memory is so important for a skater. Plus spinning as a pair and throw jumps seem even more a risky challenge. Wish someone had an inside glimpse or even a video clip of whatever Rockne and Sasha did together to start these speculations!

aurora100

Final Flight

Only? That's not young. In fact Rockne is getting over the hill in skating age. If he wants to get to somewhere in world figure skating stage, he needs to find a partner who is accomplished in her own right. Time is running out for Rockne.

DrunkenIce

Rinkside
I would loooove to see Sasha competing again..pairs or single whatever!

Rockne is 24? so they should go for it!!!

mousepotato

On the Ice
Only? That's not young. In fact Rockne is getting over the hill in skating age. If he wants to get to somewhere in world figure skating stage, he needs to find a partner who is accomplished in her own right. Time is running out for Rockne.

24 is not old for a male pairs skater anymore. Robin Szolkowy will be 34 at the next Olympics, Maxim Trankov will be 30, Alexander Smirnov will be 29, Tong was 30 this year and Zhao was 36.

Rockne would be 28, 32 and 36 at the next 3 Olympics if he chose to compete that and Zhao proves you can win gold at 36 even taking time off. If he put between 4-8 years in a partnership of even 12 years...he would have a great career. I agree time is running out, he needs to make good decisions, Sasha isn't one of them. As much as l like seeing her skate in shows, her training/competition days are over.

gold12345

Medalist
Excluding missed training time due to injury, I would say certainly not enough training to put out a Moonlight Sonata LP @ Nationals up to her abilities and standards. Her short program to Espana Cani was well done, not her best however.

I don't recall Sasha stating that she was done competing, in fact I thought she left the door open. Did I miss something?

Whether or not is is willing to commit to 4 more years in a new discipline is another story.
Remember Rockne still has a say in all of this also. It is fascinating.

She says in this video from a month or two ago that she is done competing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKW3gZ9UE8

So it really just seems like she came back for a run at the 2010 Olympics, but had no real intention to compete in non-Olympic years.

24 is not old for a male pairs skater anymore. Robin Szolkowy will be 34 at the next Olympics, Maxim Trankov will be 30, Alexander Smirnov will be 29, Tong was 30 this year and Zhao was 36.

Rockne would be 28, 32 and 36 at the next 3 Olympics if he chose to compete that and Zhao proves you can win gold at 36 even taking time off. If he put between 4-8 years in a partnership of even 12 years...he would have a great career. I agree time is running out, he needs to make good decisions, Sasha isn't one of them. As much as l like seeing her skate in shows, her training/competition days are over.

True. 24 is on the younger side for a top male pair skater, and Rockne would actually be 27 at the next Olympics, which would mean another Olympic chance after that at age 31 could also be possible. If he's looking to develop anything long term, Sasha isn't the answer. 4 years would be extremely long for her, never mind 8, and that's even if she is able to learn the throws and other pair elements she would need. She wouldn't have a problem with the flexible, bendy type tricks, but throws and a competitive pair program are a whole different story. But Rockne is young enough where he doesn't have to immediately decide on a partner, and could resume this all again next season if he needed to.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Exquisite!!!

Yes .... it shows how special Sasha is for the skating planet :) And I always love it when SOI does something truly original.

Is it harder to land a throw jump than a regular jump? I've always wondered.

i love to skate

Medalist
Is it harder to land a throw jump than a regular jump? I've always wondered.

Yes it is. Getting skaters to sync their timing is very hard. Couple that with the force and torque that are involved in throw jumps and this is the reason why the girl has to be soooo strong.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yes it is. Getting skaters to sync their timing is very hard. Couple that with the force and torque that are involved in throw jumps and this is the reason why the girl has to be soooo strong.

Thanks. It always looks like an absolutely impossible feat from my perspective!

FlattFan

Match Penalty

No it is not. If throw Sal or Loop are so much harder than Sal or Loop, then all the SBS jumps will be Sal or Loop instead of 2A and 3T.

Throw jumps are just different. Not harder, not easier.