Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th | Golden Skate

Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Re: Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th

According to this update on the COS website, the Thornhill Summer Skate will be broadcast online through Skatebuzz.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/2010-11%20eventsresults.htm#August

Although I have yet to make an account for myself, I believe that Skate Buzz is free to view. (Can anyone confirm this?) However, you must register in order to see most of the videos.

i love to skate

Medalist
Re: Thornhill (Figure Skating Boutique) Summer Skate - August 12th - 15th

Although I have yet to make an account for myself, I believe that Skate Buzz is free to view. (Can anyone confirm this?) However, you must register in order to see most of the videos.

Yes, that is right!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And the confirmed entries are on it:
Senior Men
Shaquille Davis
Benjamin Guthrie
Patrick Myzyk
Nobunari Oda (Japan) :rock:
Eric Radford
Fransisca Javier Raya Buenache (Spain)
Andrei Rogozine
Joey Russell
Raphael Yacobi-Harris

Sr Women
Kate Charbonneau
Gabrielle Anne Cormier
Adriana DeSanctis
Meagan Duhamel
Shannon Edling
Min-Jeong Kwak (Korea)
Marianne Laporte
Lisa Makeeva
Stefani Marotta
Kelsey McNeil
Victoria Muniz (Puerto Rico)
Alexandra Najarro (Y.R.S.A.)
Eri Nishimura
Christina Pulla
Ashley Simond

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Senior Dance
Corenne Bruhns / Benjaman Westenberger (Mexico)
Sarah Lysne / Christopher Steeves
Terra Findlay / Dmitry Dun (Ukraine)
Helene Letourneau / Kevin Boczar
Alexa-Marie Arrotta / Martin Nickel
Alexandra Paul / Mitchell Islam

Senior Pairs is not being competed, although Junior Pairs is.

sk8rdad

On the Ice
Does anyone know if theres an entrance fee if I want to go watch the competitions this weekend?

Yes, Thornhill has always had an entrance fee. You can either pay for a day or for the event. The announcement lists the addmission as $6/day or $20 for an event pass.

feraina

Record Breaker
Funny Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford both signed up to compete in singles. I wonder if they are just doing this for fun since there's no pairs event, or if they are actually serious about competing in singles this year as well. After all, at the Quebec Summer Competition, they both landed solo 3Z, 3F, and 3T. That'll be interesting if they are serious about singles as well.

Kypma

Final Flight
Funny Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford both signed up to compete in singles. I wonder if they are just doing this for fun since there's no pairs event, or if they are actually serious about competing in singles this year as well. After all, at the Quebec Summer Competition, they both landed solo 3Z, 3F, and 3T. That'll be interesting if they are serious about singles as well.

Someone suggested this earlier in another thread, and I think it may be close to the truth--the singles events allow them to polish up on jumps which they probably did not train seriously for the last few years (especially Lutz and Flip-2T-2T), so that they can get them as solid as possible. Also, working on technical difficulty seems to be their aim this year, so it may help to try new jumps in singles competition before adding them to pairs. I doubt they are serious about competing at a higher level in singles as they already have their work cut out for them in pairs.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Min-Jung pulled out of this competition according to Yuna Kim Forum, apparently her back is injured. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing her programs.

feraina

Record Breaker
Someone suggested this earlier in another thread, and I think it may be close to the truth--the singles events allow them to polish up on jumps which they probably did not train seriously for the last few years (especially Lutz and Flip-2T-2T), so that they can get them as solid as possible. Also, working on technical difficulty seems to be their aim this year, so it may help to try new jumps in singles competition before adding them to pairs. I doubt they are serious about competing at a higher level in singles as they already have their work cut out for them in pairs.

maybe this is their strategy toward sochi. There's no way to beat the top Chinese pairs in throw jumps or twist. Their top junior pair has been credited w throw quad. So their strategy is perhaps to enhance their advantage in hard triples. Nobody else is attempting solo jumps as difficult. Three diff triples including flip and lutz. That's competitive even in singles.

Sylvia

Record Breaker

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Oliviera/Hockley won the Junior Short Dance. The Hasegawa's are in second and the Khongs in third. I pretty much agree with those results (watching on Skatebuzz). I think it'll take me a while to get used to the Short Dances. My about 2012/13 season, I'll be on board. But until then, I don't like these hybrids.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Paul/Islam have improved quite a bit since junior worlds. Wasn't expecting that for some reason, but given their steep learning curve, I should have. A piece of her costume fell off (looked like a hair bun thingamajig - I'm a black man with a very close shave, I don't know these things). They scored 53.16, and they had an error on the twizzle as well (she came off early). But they are much smoother and more refined than last season. Sorta stunned, actually.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I was lucky enough to attend the competition, and I can tell you that both Oliviera & Hockley and Paul & Islam were phenomenal. I really wasn't expecting it from Oliviera & Hockley since they just moved up to juniors, but they were absolutely breathtaking. They weaved the OD and CD portions of the short dance together seamlessly, and they had really good power, speed and flow across the ice. I think that a big reason that the program worked so well was because they stuck to one piece of music, unlike many of the other teams, who's programs seemed disjointed because of the sudden music changes.

There's really nothing for me to say abut Paul & Islam except that they were sublime. They had everything; speed, power, flow and an excellent emotional performance level. I will admit that when I heard they were doing a waltz/tango I was expecting a train wreck, because I really couldn't see how they could fuse the styles. Well, I was wrong. Don't ask me how they did it, but they made the golden waltz portion of the dance look like a tango. The music did change slightly at that point, but it was a seamless transition, and did not disrupt the feel of the program at all. They were a little out of unison on the twizzles, but made up for it in the non-touching footwork sequence. They were as close as humanly possible to one another without actually touching during that entire section. I was really, really impressed.:biggrin:It really was a shame when her hair piece fell out.

npa

Match Penalty
I was lucky to watch SD ar Skate buzz - thank you a lot!
It was really interesting how SD will work for me. I must say - i dont like it. Its look, like skaters did CD andthen start doing OD :biggrin:
And i musct to say, that Lane-Razgulyaevs become new Shpilband-Zueva - they have too many teams, who had a lot of similar elements and transitions. And this sweet waltz style - look reaaly the same. They did greate job for C-P, but they need to work on there skaters postures more (IMHO).
And i must say i like SD form Tyler Myles and Islam group. P-I SD was really unusual adi like, that they skated GW in tango style - and i love this.I like this girl - she have good posture and could express music really greate. I wish to watch this SD one more time. And i like SD from there second team - on Bryan Adams "If you really love a women" and tango in spanish style. But i dont know, what judges think about this idea, but this look unusual for me.
And it was interesting to watch Yurii Razgulyevs son skating. Nice kid! :)
Thank you skatebuzz againe!

P.S. And now i know, what Julin miss in I-K SD - they didnt have a lot off skating in dance holds, like canadina teams had. I dont talk about awfull changing of the rithm. Hope he will be told to work on more smoother connection between waltz and tango.

Last edited: