Short Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.5 2:45 am | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Short Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.5 2:45 am

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Pechelat/Bourzat: I don't get this team. They're too unconventional for me. Too "voidy." And I don't think this was worth a 64 (that's way too close to D/W for me), but that was a well skated program. I don't get what it had to do with Doctor Zhivago.

Faiella/Scali: On the other hand, I do get this team. Shame about the mistakes, but I think this program could be a terrific one for these two. I do wish she was more expressive (variably expressive).

Boborova/Soloviev: The dress... looks better in close-ups, admittedly, where detail is more intriguing. It was obvious right away he would have issues with that twizzle, they resembled whirling dervishes. They started out blazing but seemed to lose speed right away, but then they get it back. They really do have speed. They've definitely improved since last season - his extension is lovely. Really loses my interest by the end. That transition looked too much like a fall for me.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
From the live-viewing audience, some thoughts on the short dance:

--P/B's new Dr. Zhivago has some promise going forward, but they were clearly having to think their way through it. Emotionally, it was a little flat. I expect this will improve as they get more comfortable with it. Looks like a smart move on their part to get some early competitions and judges' feedback, in time to make key changes well before the GP series.

--F/S. Oy, that blade-in-the-skirt bit was unfortunate but foreseeable. Her skirt is too long (I actually like the cut of the dress but the black trim/bow needs a bit of pruning). I'm sure they'll remedy that toute suite. He looks absolutely yummy. I really feel they are better overall skaters than P/B, but it just wasn't to be, in this segment of the competition. Once they look at the protocols and unofficial feedback, and then tweak the dance, I think they will be in good shape.

--B/S. Wonders of wonders. A SLOW Russian couple. I like old Tom Jones' numbers, but not for this short dance. The music actually comes off as heavy or draggy and seems to suck the life and energy out of the skating. I thought they were overscored just a little bit for what they put out there. She needs to lose that bubblegum pink skirt.

--Hoff/Zav--Looked surprisingly labored and lots of scratchy skating--I could hear the blades more often than is acceptable at this level. Somewhat sloppy, and the transition between the GW part and the next section is jarring. I don't like their dance. She has great legs though--I'm jealous :)

--Ralph/Hill--Schmaltzy music but it works pretty well, and the costumes seen live actually work in context, though probably look a bit garish on the TV closeup. They seemed a little slow ("heavy?") out there, but it was well choreographed and I thought they did a nice job for their SGP debut. He projects very well to the audience, and presents her well. They looked like they were having fun out there (or were faking it darn well). I really like this team, and think they're likely to be going places in the future.

--Hubbells. Oh dear, they really were doing well up until the fall--looked like he just lost an edge or caught a heel and went down, then she got caught up and went down. A very disruptive fall that also affected the rest of the program including 2nd set of twizzles. I did like their music and program including dance lift. Without the fall, they might have been up in 5th place. :-(

Not a lot of excitement from rest of field.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you very much! :yay:

I know there was no excitement for Cannuscio and Lorello, but can you remember anything at all about them? They were the first team to skate (finishing last).

*Boa*

Spectator
I know that F/S's SD didn't get it's best showing but I really appreciate in general how the past few years they've really been attempting to put together very detailed and complete programs on the ice- from the music and steps all the way down to the detail in the costumes. The costumes in this particular one looked like they stepped straight out of the film version of My Fair Lady.

I very much agree with this. They really push themselves to give all of us very detailed routines, from the music choice to the choreo and the dress. Personally I take it a sign of professionalism. Very happy about this new routine. It will grow with the season. Good work always pays off :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whoever designs Ralph / Hill's costumes needs to be summarily fired. Year after year they are garbed in the ugliest of the ugly, and this year's design trumps everything that's gone before. The colors are ugly, and her dress is so fussy and unflattering it makes 18-year-old Kharis Ralph look like a middleaged frump.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Thank you very much! :yay:

I know there was no excitement for Cannuscio and Lorello, but can you remember anything at all about them? They were the first team to skate (finishing last).

I would not say they look "juniorish" but they clearly aren't yet in the class of the other first group teams that had been in seniors already. Compared to other rising juniors: Ralph/Hill seem to have better basic skills. C/L are relatively close in skills to Guan/Wang. But both R/H and C/L had better musical vehicles for showing what skills they did bring. In general, C/L were a little sloppy and their footwork seemed less precise than most other teams, esp on the GW parts. I thought they were visibly "pushing" their strokes through the program rather than making it seem to flow effortlessly. All this is correctable with time, practice, and experience--they are actually pleasant skaters to watch and this is likely a transitional/building year for them. They should persevere and not give up.

I think choice of Piano Man was a BIG BIG BIG mistake. I personally have always despised this piece of music. But, setting my own bias aside, melodically and lyrically, it just clashes like crazy with the whole image of the GW, even if rhythmically it fits within the SD parameters. It's just too heavy a vocal number to use. I don't know how to put it in words, but Piano Man didn't showcase any of C/L's positive skating qualities, and unfortunately accentuated their weaknesses. They should muddle through their other GP assignment with this, then seriously consider changing music before nationals and reworking the non GW sections. I'm surprised the USFS didn't nix this music earlier back at Champs Camp.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
chuckm..You beat me to it..My feed was frozen through most of the competition but unfroze long enough to see R/H finishing up . Gack ! ...But I don't think we'll see a firing, since I suspect either the coaches or some family member of one of the coaches has a hand in the costumes. ( What else could explain the travesties continually being foisted on all their skaters. ) Otherwise, a firing would have occurred long ago.

These costumes look like the kind of pre-made costumes you find in a kid's dress-up store..right down to the cheesy tiara. And they do nothing for their bodies. It's a dress fit for one of the step sisters. Why must these kids be made to look like cartoons? I haven't found a clip of their skate yet, and I do want to see how they did ( I'm sure CBC will show them tomorrow ,at least.), but I know I'll be cringing all the way through.

(Kids, go to someone who'll fix your posture problems and give you decent costumes and grown -up programs.)

KKonas

Medalist
Thought P&B did a great job on their Chaplin routine since we first saw it at Nebelhorn. It was a mess then, but cleaned up it's very entertaining. F&S - nothing exciting in their flamenco - another long dress - sigh. This program offers nothing we haven't seen done better before. Kind of liked the Hungarians but appeared sloppy to me - lots of missed holds - looks ragged but should improve with practice. The Russians were boring. R & Hill - Summertime is a sensual dance - not there with such youngsters - need a different program. Hubbells improved but music hurts the ears.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
KKonas, I agree with you!

I do think R&H need another coach ASAP, one who does not endless put them in African themed programs. Not to mention putting them in bad costumes much of the time. Kharis's SD skirt looked like a ball of used pastel kleenex. Asher looked like a jack from a deck of cards, a cheap deck of cards at that.They are supposed to be Cinderella and the prince. Totally wrong looks for that.
Kharis's dress for the FD was pretty on her, but putting Asher in a wife beater tee shirt with a flapping shirt over it was just wrong. Where is the sexiness in that? They need a coach who can picture them in a wider variety of programs, programs that take advantage of their strengths.

I don't like the Hubbell's music either. The private eye voiceover part was particularly :confused:

I think F&S's program will grow on me later, although flamenco has kind of been done to death lately since there were so many flamencos in the OD last year. Not to mention that A&P's flamenco and V&M's flamenco set a very high standard for the genre.

F&S, like the Kerrs, should have arrived at the GP in better shape if they did not want to get passed by the youngsters.

P&B understood this well, and have arrived at the GP in the best shape for the beginning of the season that I have ever seen them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Actually Re: R/H's costumes - they used music from the Disney's Rogers and Hammerstien's Made for TV Cinderella starring Whitney Houston and Brandy. Their costumes fit that show. The costumes were bright colors (in fact I think Hill's costume is similar to the prince's during the waltz). Brandy was in the classic Cinderella blue dress, but Ralph's dress fits more of the other dancers in the show. So even though it's a little weird looking - it makes sense with the music.

MissCleo

On the Ice
As a whole, I did not enjoy this SD comp. Only B/S stood out for me (I kinda like the dark side of the Golden Waltz).

Unfortunately, F/S does not look ready at all. I had high hopes for my fair lady and was somewhat disappointed by the music cuts and performance (I'm not bothered by the costume, but we'll probably see a shorter skirt on her next time) BTW, what rhythm is "Rain in Spain"? Was it to be a tango?

As for Ralph/Hill, that was a charming SD. I'm still singing I could have danced all night. The concept of being a fairy tale prince/princess is a good idea, but geez, they look like they dressed in Barbie/Ken castoffs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I could have danced all night was F/S - R/H skated to "Ten Minutes Ago"