Golden West Championships, Culver City, CA, Sept. 2-5 | Golden Skate

Golden West Championships, Culver City, CA, Sept. 2-5

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Host club is All Year FSC: http://www.allyearfsc.com/

Here's a partial list of notable skaters registered for Golden West...

SENIOR LADIES: Kristine Musademba, Lindsay Davis, Vanessa Lam, Carolyn-Ann Alba, Karen Zhou, Victoria Muniz (PUR), Sophia Adams, Anna Malkova...

SENIOR MEN: Richard Dornbush, Jonathan Cassar, Douglas Razzano, Andrew Gonzales, Austin Kanallakan, Sean Rabbitt...

SENIOR PAIRS: Dobbs/Jacobsen, Vise/Baldwin, Davis/Leftheris

JUNIOR LADIES: Courtney Hicks, Leah Keiser, Katarina Kulgeyko...

JUNIOR PAIRS: Carman/Reiss, Oltmanns/Santillan, Guterres/Schumann, Gifford/Norris (new), Calalang/Sidhu (new)...

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
So is Caroline Zhang just not doing any summer comp at all this year? I'm rather curious about what's been happening with her since the coaching change.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
So is Caroline Zhang just not doing any summer comp at all this year?
It looks that way but we'll have to wait and see. Because Champs Camp has been moved to late August this year, all the Grand Prix skaters/teams will be receiving monitoring and feedback on their competitive programs there.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Last year, the ladies' event was packed. Caroline, Mirai and Rachael all showed up.
The men's event was something as well.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
On Caroline's fan page, that are reporting that she recently posted on Facebook that she won't be at Golden West.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who gets forwarded to a Session Timed Out page.
No, that link will time out unless you're actually on the online registration site.

Here's the current schedule of the Senior/Junior singles and pairs events (all times Pacific):

Friday, September 03, 2010
5:00 PM 5:45 PM Junior Pairs SP
5:45 PM 6:35 PM Junior Men SP
6:55 PM 7:30 PM Senior Pairs SP
9:00 PM 10:00 PM Senior Men SP

Saturday, September 04, 2010
1:35 PM 2:30 PM Junior Men Free Skate
2:50 PM 3:30 PM Senior Pairs Free Skate
3:30 PM 5:55 PM Junior Ladies SP
6:50 PM 8:00 PM Senior Men Free Skate
8:20 PM 10:00 PM Senior Ladies SP

Sunday, September 05, 2010
9:20 AM 10:10 AM Junior Pairs Free Skate
4:40 PM 7:30 PM Junior Ladies Free Skate
7:50 PM 10:00 PM Senior Ladies Free Skate

Here are the current registered Senior level skaters...

Senior Ladies
Sophia Adams
Carolyn-Ann Alba
Mary Grace Baldo (PHI)
Alyona Bilash
Lindsay Davis (JGP Austria)
Danielle Kahle
Vanessa Lam
Anna Malkova
Jessica Martino
Victoria Muniz (PUR)
Kristine Musademba (Cup of China GP)
Jennifer Osibov
Kristina Struthwolf
Amanda Sunyoto (TPE, JGP-eligible)
Karen Zhou

Senior Men
Christopher Caluza
Jonathan Cassar
Richard Dornbush (JGP Austria)
Andrew Gonzales
Austin Kanallakan
Robert Przepioski
Sean Rabbitt
Douglas Razzano

Senior Pairs
Aaron/Cohen
Davis/Leftheris
Dobbs/Jacobsen
Vise/Baldwin

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here are the registered Junior level skaters (clubs outside the SWP region are noted for the singles skaters as well as 2010 US Nationals placement):

JUNIOR LADIES
Chantine Akiyama
Kelsey Chan
Camille Davis (CP)
Polina Edmunds N6 (CP)
Nicole Fowler
Arlyn Gamarro
Victoria Hecht
Courtney Hicks N5
Leah Keiser N1
Sarah Kidd
Katarina Kulgeyko N3
Alexandria Lee
China Loza
Emily Martey (CP)
Alix Meyer
Shayna Moellenberg (NWP)
Katlynn McNab J12
Crystal Nguyen (CP)
AnnaMarie Pearce (CP)
Stephanie Phu
Isabella Schuster
Danielle Viola (SA)
Porter Waung
Esther Wu

JUNIOR MEN
Michael Christian Martinez (PHI) - JGP JPN
Brent Mercado
Joey Millet (NWP)
Shotaro Omori N9
Chadwick Phillips
David Wang
Philip Warren N4
Jay Yostanto

JUNIOR PAIRS (the section for each partners' club noted)
Brynn Carman/A.J. Reiss J5 (M/P) - JGP AUT
Christina Marina Guterres/Justin Schumann N7 (P/P)
Cali Fujimoto/Nick Barsi (P/P)
Lauren Gifford/Craig Norris [new] (M/P)
Olivia Oltmanns/Joshua Santillan N6 (M/P) - JGP AUT

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Talk about the class of the field. I can't seem to find much on Vanessa. The name is Vietnamese.

iced

Spectator
I caught the junior and senior ladies shorts and can share a few impressions. There are so many impressive juniors this year, I worry about secionals.
Victoria Hecht skated clean with 3sal-2toe, 3loop, 2A. Pretty piano music I think she's used before. Every thing about her skating is beautiful stroking, spins, spirals, etc. Good to see her back. Is she able to skate regionals this year, after skating pairs for another country last year?
Polina Edmunds skated right after Victoria, which to me made her skating look very young (which I know she is) still she has lots of nice qualities. 3l, 3toe-2toe, 2a, skates slower then others especially into the jumps.
Leah Keiser solid everywhere. 3lz-2toe, 3l, 2a. Nice skate jumps look easy
Katarina Kulgeyko: Well, I really like her skating but it was not her day at all. 3toe no combo,
3loop? couldn't see in blind spot, 2a. fell going into a spin and had trouble on another spin as well as footwork, looked off balance the whole program. Landed a gorgeous easy 3toe-3toe in warmup.
Courtney Hicks: Music is dark eyes! 3flip-3toe? toe was in blind spot, 3l, 2a She is fun to watch. Fast and exciting, last spin had some very cool positions.

Senior Ladies was a bit of a bust after the juniors, with most girls missing all three jumps.
Vanessa Lam has improved her presentation immensely. Music is Time to Say Goodbye. 3lz-2l,
3fl fall, beautiful spread eagles into 2a. Excited to see how her season progresses!
Karen Zhou had a nice skate with 3lz2toe, 3fl, 2a, jumps looked like they might have been short.
Carolyn Ann Alba: really a beautiful program to I beleive Memoirs of a Geisha, unfortunaly lots of jump problems
Lindsey Davis lets hope her jgp goes better then this program 2falls on jumps popped the axel, fun program though.

John Nicks sat in the stands and watched the entire senior ladies event, which was pretty cool!

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I caught the junior and senior ladies shorts and can share a few impressions.
Vanessa Lam [Senior SP and overall winner] has improved her presentation immensely. Music is Time to Say Goodbye. 3lz-2l, 3fl fall, beautiful spread eagles into 2a. Excited to see how her season progresses!
Very impressive performance and total score of 158.19 for 15-year-old Vanessa Lam here! (it's the second-highest Senior ladies' total score this summer of the club competitions with published results) She placed 8th in Junior at 2010 U.S. Nationals and is one of the listed JGP alternates. I'm told that her family heritage is Vietnamese ("Lam" can also be a Chinese/Cantonese name). She is coached by the 1975 World Champion Diane DeLeeuw and Douglas Chapman in southern California.

Victoria Hecht skated clean [in Junior] with 3sal-2toe, 3loop, 2A. Pretty piano music I think she's used before. Every thing about her skating is beautiful stroking, spins, spirals, etc. Good to see her back. Is she able to skate regionals this year, after skating pairs for another country last year?
Good question. I think (will look into this) that she can skate singles at Regionals because she represented Hungary internationally in a different discipline?

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions, iced! :)

Anybody know what's wrong with Kristine Musademba?
Nothing is necessarily "wrong" with her. As I posted in the Musademba thread in The Edge main forum yesterday, Kristine relocated from the East coast to L.A. this summer (her new coaches are listed as Frank Carroll, Ken Congemi, Christa Fassi) and reportedly got a late start to her training. She showed her programs (last year's SP and a new FS choreographed by Phillip Mills) at Champs Camp the week before Golden West and may not have been ready to compete yet.

Last edited: