Closest Pairs Competition | Golden Skate

Closest Pairs Competition

B

BronzeisGolden02

Closest Pairs Competition

What was the closest pairs competition? And when I ask this I don't mean on the judges scorecard, rather to you personally.

B

BronzeisGolden02

94 Olympics

I have a feeling the majority will choose the 2002 Olympics, but I thought the pairs competition in Lillehammer in 94 was much closer. Both of the top pairs were so beautiful and each skated incredible long programs worthy of Olympic gold. 2002 was close also, but not AS close as Lillehammer. G&G were stunning, perhaps one of the most elegant programs ever skated by a pair at an Olympic Games, and M&D were energetic and darkly dramatic. That program was so innovative and interesting to watch, such a departure from their refined Olympic gold routine from 92.

1994 Olympics
G&G

M&D

AND THE BIG ONE, LOL!
2002 Olympics
S&P

B&S

I

icenut84

Re: 94 Olympics

That's such a hard one! All three competitions were very close. Personally, I would have gone with Mishkutenok & Dmitriev in 94 and Shen & Zhao in 99. 2002... in retrospect, probably Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze. All three were very close though. :)

M

mike79

Re: Closest Pairs Competition

I would say 1994 Olympics. I also think it was the best night of pairs skating in history. The top 3 were simply amazing.

C

Callystarr

Re: Closest Pairs Competition

Well personally here is what I thought...I won't go into the total views..

94 Olympics
Mishkutenok/Dmitriv 5.9/5.8
Goordeva/Grinkov 5.7/5.9
***G/G were given a gift on the technical merit, a few little mistakes and M/D were flawless..

99 Worlds
I don't remember but Shen/Zhao should have been first in the SP

02 Olympics...
S/P: 5.8/5.8
B/Z: 5.6/5.9