Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Indeed, shocking. I'm thinking there are a couple reasonable possibilities here, though:

1.) Yu-Na Kim is taking the Michelle Kwan approach and feels she doesn't specifically need a coach anymore, so why spend the money?

2.) She is done competing and wants to live her life in Korea now so, again, why spend money on a coach?

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Of course she had a talk with him in person. She still goes to the Cricket club, Orser is at the club, they meet each other almost every day, etc. Do you think she will just stop talking to him after her mom told him the news? I don't think so. Also, if she no longer needs a full time coach, then what's the big deal about this? It's not like she has a life-long contract with Orser. If she wants to move on, good for her. Just because the coaching has ended it doesn't mean she (and her mom) stopped appreciating his work for the past few years. It's just natural, just like people leaving their parents when they get older.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Apparently the decision was "sudden," which makes me think that something happened recently, other than Yu-Na just deciding she is done competing or doesn't need a coach anymore.

Basics

On the Ice
Ahh thanks guys. :) I didn't read the article on here - I read a loose translation on another forum! Taking in this information, I am even more shocked that Yuna did not attend the "firing meeting" if she is still in Toronto! What an awkward situation. I don't think she will be staying in Toronto for much longer - I think she will head back to Korea.

Don't assume too much yet. We have not heard an official statement from Yuna's agency.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
This can't be true! I am in total shock. they seemed to have a great relationship and Orser is idolized in Korea with the Queen. The only reason I can think of would be that Orser has taken on too many attentional students (Kwak, Rippon, Gao) who are all on the way up and demanding too much of his time. I think Kim chose Orser in the first place because she knew she would have his undivided attention, a luxury now very much gone. It is also possible that sh wants to go back to Korea and live with her family, since I remember her expressing her regret about living so far away from her dad etc leading up the games and naming her desire to live back in Korea as a incentive to retire.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i
don't really like the whole mom involvement. I heard that she is quite the skating mother and very controlling of her daughter's career. I just hope yu-na was the one who wanted this.

ryoko

Rinkside
i
don't really like the whole mom involvement. I heard that she is quite the skating mother and very controlling of her daughter's career. I just hope yu-na was the one who wanted this.

I suggest that you be more careful about what you say. That's a quiet serious accusation. I have read her book (and many interviews with the words directly from her) and the lady made sacrifice for her family. Even Orser said her mom haven't involve herself too much in Yu-na's training since she passed her teenage. It's rude to call someone's parents "controlling" based on what you "heard." As a fan I would wait until Yu-na speaks herself. It wouldn't be too late to make all kinds of judgments then.

ladybug

On the Ice
Maybe she wanted to give Brian the opportunity to take on more elite skaters and not hold him back since she won't be competing much longer. If Brian has known since August 2, who knows what he and YuNa had discussed. This has only been made public knowledge now but was done about 20 days ago.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Shame on the journalist (well, the "journalist") who wrote the first article. He/she clearly has something against Yuna for whatever reason. This is why you always have to hear the both sides of the story, Anyways, It seems like Yuna's been training alone since June and it is Brian who actually "fired" Yuna. If the rumour made their relationship uncomfortable then it seems like Brian was actually considering taking another top lady. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about this.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Shame on the journalist (well, the "journalist") who wrote the first article. He/she clearly has something against Yuna for whatever reason. This is why you always have to hear the both sides of the story, Anyways, It seems like Yuna's been training alone since June and it is Brian who actually "fired" Yuna. If the rumour made their relationship uncomfortable then it seems like Brian was actually considering taking another top lady. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say about this.

I think the figure skaters online article IS his side of the story. one it was put out by IMG - the agency that represents Brian Orser - and two, it has a quote from Brian about Yuna.

second I don't think Orser's that dumb, why dump your first and biggest success skater? that'd be like suggesting Carrol fire MK after 1998. Coaches are way more savvy. (Granted some have missteps, like Carlo Fossi choosing Scott CRAMER over HAMILTON, but that actually lit a fire under the latter... so it all works out in the wash).

Good luck to Brian, he's just lost a huge fan base for no logical reason.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
please remember to post links to offsite information - read the guidelines on copyright and sharing info from other boards.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Well clearly someone is lying. The first article suggested that Yuna's mom just fired Brian all of a sudden without any notice but the statement from AT sports says otherwise.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The mere rumor of Mao wanting to be coached by Orser created that much friction? That's probably being overstated. Orser being busy with other students is definitely a very real reason, though. Regardless, it definitely doesn't feel like Yu-Na is all that concerned with competing anyway.

brownfox

On the Ice
Accroding to the news it was Brian who told Yuna first about wanted to split with her.

and she plans to continue to train there and considers training plan and scouting a new coach later. so, she's not retiring..:laugh:

Last edited:

Johnnnn

On the Ice
I remember Yuna saying she wants Brian to be her coach as long as she's competing and if this means she will not compete anymore then that's sad (but expected) news. If Brian actuallly considered coaching Mao Asada (even tho he denied it) to a degree that made his relationship with Yuna uncomfortable then that's a sad news as well. I don't think their relatioship will become uncomfortable over a rumor and there was probably something real going on back in May/June. After all, It's Brian who gave the final word.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
They embodied the perfect coach-athlete relationship for me. This is all so sudden. Don't know what to believe. I'll postpone any judgment until the confusion subsides.

parma

On the Ice
Each party might be saying differently, but I think the the main reason for the split is that Yuna is no longer Brian's top priority. Brian will say otherwise, but as he said in the recent interview, he "arranged time slots for Yuna's training" as she came back to Toronto from the ATS ice show. He would have never said something like that if it was last year or years before that, because back then she was his top priority. I can understand even if Kim's mom was the one who brought up the split as Brian claimed; she wouldn't want to continue him as Yuna's main coach when her daughter no longer seems to be his priority.