Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
That and the fact that Orser found out about her withdrawal from her GP events from the internet. That just seems shocking to me.

Mee Hee really threw him under the bus so to speak. He was largely responsible for her daughter success. If she wanted to sever the ties, there are classy ways to do that. Yu-na should be making these decisions for herself anyway. She is 19 and has made, on her own, more than enough money to cover coaching and living expenses. Her mom needs to get out the picture.

brownfox

On the Ice
Mee Hee really threw him under the bus so to speak. He was largely responsible for her daughter success. If she wanted to sever the ties, there are classy ways to do that. Yu-na should be making these decisions for herself anyway. She is 19 and has made, on her own, more than enough money to cover coaching and living expenses. Her mom needs to get out the picture.

It's not that easy, especially every move by Yuna gets exaggerated in the Korean media. The girl even used a private Twitter account to talk to her friends in Korea, even that it was still published.

I'm afraid there's no way out for Yuna. :eek:hwell:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yu-na should be making these decisions for herself anyway. She is 19 and has made, on her own, more than enough money to cover coaching and living expenses. Her mom needs to get out the picture.

If you asked Yu Na to choose between her coach and her mother, of course, she'll choose her mom.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If you asked Yu Na to choose between her coach and her mother, of course, she'll choose her mom.

yes, but I think even Yu-na knows that her mom is making things very complicated. It is possible to still love your mom as a mother, not a agent and dictator of your career.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
According to this article, Kwak has left Orser too: http://www.koreaherald.com/national/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20100824000857

This is very weird as well. I wonder if the KSU made Kwak leave? All in all, I believe Brian much more than I do the press release that Yuna's agency put out.

Now, come on Canadian skaters.....head to Brian....please!!!! :biggrin:

What about the other Korean girl training with Orser, Yea-Ji Joon I think her name is, is she leaving Orser as well? I wonder if this means both Yuna and Min-Jung will stop skating, as Min-Jung didn't have an official coach in Korea so I don't know who her coach would be now if she wants to go back to Korea. Or maybe both girls will stay abroad but train elsewhere? I am very, very confused.

janetfan

Match Penalty
So the plot thickens.

From the Hersh article:

"Kim, 19, remains at the club, of which she is a member. Orser feels that situation is rapidly becoming untenable.

"It has created a tension that is having an impact on all the other skaters," Orser said. "Something has to change.

"I think it would be better for her to leave the club. I don't think she can train on her own at this level."

This is starting to sound worse and worse. :disapp:

brownfox

On the Ice
I just wish that Orser can slow down a bit. Hey.. even frank carroll never said something like this against michelle kwan and even at that time it was a shocked. Arghhh..:disapp:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
From the Hersh article:

"Kim, 19, remains at the club, of which she is a member. Orser feels that situation is rapidly becoming untenable.

"It has created a tension that is having an impact on all the other skaters," Orser said. "Something has to change.

"I think it would be better for her to leave the club. I don't think she can train on her own at this level."

This is starting to sound worse and worse. :disapp:

Yeah this doesn't sound good at all> I reaaly hope everything works out for her and I really feel so bad about Brian Orser :(

prettykeys

Medalist
I am shocked and sad for YuNa and heartbroken for Orser. Even if it was ultimately not YuNa's decision, she still should have said something to Orser by e-mail or phone--likely against her Mom's orders not to. But that is the least Orser deserves.

I remember a short while back, I wondered how YuNa might be if she got coaching from someone else, but this is certainly not how I imagined it to become true...! Err...at the least I guess it seems she truly is interested in continuing. If she were quitting, then goodbyes can always be done pleasantly. This is no exit.

And maybe Kim is feeling different about how much she wants to take direction from someone else.
I highly doubt that of YuNa. I don't think she has such an individualistic sense of doing things on her own; I think she knows that getting someone else's expert guidance and opinion is best for her, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For anyone wanting to read the official press release from IMG (Orser's representative), it is now in the first post of this thread. We had 3 different threads all discussing this news, so it was necessary to merge them. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.

When you post news, please, if possible post a link. If it's from icenetwork, just say its from icenetwork, or the post will be moved to Announcements, but do give a link. We do not allow unsourced news.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I never like Brian Orser. He has a constant smug on his face. Even so, I think it's horrible how the Kim camp is treating him. The coach read about her decision to skip the GP series through the press? It's like breaking up with someone via twitter, facebook, post-it.

The other thing is no responses to any of his emails. What is this? Even if her mother told her not to do it, she can at least send a quick msg back saying when she'll be coming back or acknowledge his msgs.

"Money can't buy you class"-Countless De lesseps.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
This is getting out of hand. The bitterness is palpable.

I'm taking Brian's word for this, though. If I remember correctly, Yu-na's last coach was fired in the same way, without previous notice and discussion with Yu-na.

prettykeys

Medalist
In Korean culture, family and especially parents typically hold the greatest demands for respect. So YuNa was likely stuck in a hard place - possibly disobey/disrespect her mother, or leave Orser out of the loop. I don't see how it is classless for YuNa to obey her mother. Many Koreans would agree with this. Orser handled most of YuNa's skating career, but her mother is the woman who gave birth to her and made personal and family sacrifices that go deeper than whether she wins a competition or not. It's obvious that Orser is confused and hurt and also invested a lot into YuNa, but it's not a black and white case at all.

Like I said, some people can't resist the urge to take this opportunity to hurl insults...

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnnn

On the Ice
This is getting out of hand. The bitterness is palpable.

I'm taking Brian's word for this, though. If I remember correctly, Yu-na's last coach was fired in the same way, without previous notice and discussion with Yu-na.

Well, it is completely different situation. She wasn't really coaching Yuna (she was not capable of coaching Yuna to tell you the truth) and was just assigned by the federation until she finds her permanent coach (Brian Orser).
However, she wanted to stay with Yuna along with Brian Orser (wichi is nonsense), mainly becasue being Yuna's coach has lots of perks (going to big skating events, interviews, taking pictures with famous skaters which she could never do on her own)
Laster she admitted that she knew her term was coming to an end. Also, it is reported that Yuna's mom was not happy with her becasue she was busy updating her website (facebook sort of thing) rather than caring for Yuna during competitions.so it was pretty much a one jealous woman not wanting to let go of all the fame that she doesn't deserve. Anyways, if Orser is telling the truth, then Yuna's management made a big big mistake but then for him to go on and on about
all the details doesn't really seem classy either.

janetfan

Match Penalty
South Korea has a small figure skating federation. If one S. Korean lady is eligible for an international event then Yuna will be chosen. If two skaters are eligible then Yuna and a second skater will compete.

Just because an emerging federation does things differently does not change the fact that they recognize Yuna as their #1 skater and defacto champion.

i love to skate

Medalist
I just wish that Orser can slow down a bit. Hey.. even frank carroll never said something like this against michelle kwan and even at that time it was a shocked. Arghhh..:disapp:

Michelle told Frank in person that she would be leaving him. Brian has not said anything negative about Yuna in the press and he does not hold anything against Yuna - from reading the articles that is very clear. It seems he is upset with the situation and the disrespect that was shown to him by Yuna's mother and management. Really, who wouldn't be upset at this??

From the Hersh article is sounds as if Wilson is confused about the situation as well so I don't imagine he will be working with her very closely anymore either. It is too bad the club and other skaters have been negatively affected by this. Hopefully, Yuna finds other suitable training arrangements.

prettykeys

Medalist
Michelle told Frank in person that she would be leaving him. Brian has not said anything negative about Yuna in the press and he does not hold anything against Yuna - from reading the articles that is very clear. It seems he is upset with the situation and the disrespect that was shown to him by Yuna's mother and management. Really, who wouldn't be upset at this??

From the Hersh article is sounds as if Wilson is confused about the situation as well so I don't imagine he will be working with her very closely anymore either. It is too bad the club and other skaters have been negatively affected by this. Hopefully, Yuna finds other suitable training arrangements.
Honestly, all these reasons make this situation very sad. I don't know what prompted the decisionmakers to break up something that was wonderful. It's like they broke up a skating family.

i love to skate

Medalist
Honestly, all these reasons make this situation very sad. I don't know what prompted the decisionmakers to break up something that was wonderful. It's like they broke up a skating family.

I agree! The fact that Brian, David, Tracy, and Yuna didn't know what was going on is just unbelievable! I don't know much about Yuna's mother...but it seems to me that she is acting very much like a stage mother. Very sad :disapp:

It looks like it would be best if Yuna moves from the club ASAP so everyone can start to move on...