Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

feraina

Record Breaker
By the way, Korean mothers are quite extreme in their "devotion" to their children, even among the East Asians. My parents are Chinese, and yet I'm shocked and appalled by what Korean mothers do for their kids. Every Korean mother with a successful child seems to get a huge amount of media publicity in Korea and ends up writing a book on just exactly what *they* did to groom their child into the success he/she is. And if you read those books, you'd be amazed.

parma

On the Ice
I don't think Brian needs to do damage control because I don't think he said anything wrong. He has expressed well wishes to Yuna and has expressed his disappointment and confusion on the subject matter. He hasn't said anything bad about anyone in Yuna's camp. If they were upset about Brian spending time with other skaters, that makes them just look ridiculous, IMO.

IMO every coach who was with elite skaters has strong incentives to do damage control unless the parting is absolutely clean cut, because it is usually the student who chooses to leave the coach, not the other way around. If the coaches don't say anything about the circumstances and give his side's story, people will for sure speculate that there is a possibility that the coach is not up to the elite students' standards and that's why he/she left the coach. Orser is just building his reputation as a world class coach, so damage control could come to him as a necessity in this situation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am really puzzled about the reason for the split. Obviously Kim's side feels like the reason is obvious (but being approached by someone on Mao's behalf, or paying too much attention to other skaters, these sound like just excuses to me), and Brian doesn't. If he wasn't gay, I'd say that the only explanation that really fits, outlandish as it may seem, is that there's some (suspected) romantic interest between Brian and Yuna. Then everything falls into place. Yuna's mom preventing them from speaking to each other, her refusal to explain to the media the reason for the split, Brian's utter confusion for the reason of the split, etc.

:confused: :scratch:

kyla2

Final Flight
Yu Na and Brian Orser

I am not at all surprised by this. Yu Na and the Korean contingent are a very cold bunch. Brian Orser deserves better than this by a longshot. He was a major reason she got as far as she did. As for Yu Na not understanding what was going on, that is just rubbish. She knew full well what her mother and manager were up to. They would never make a coaching decision like that without her input. She was and is in control. My hope is that she retires.

When Michelle Kwan terminated her coaching relationship with Frank Carroll I thought it was very unfortunate and my sympathies were with Frank. They still are. As much as I love Michelle, that was not her finest moment. This situation with Brian is much worse. They didn't return his calls and treated him very shabbily prior to the termination. I am sure he is quite hurt and I don't blame him. Again, I am not surprised. Makes me appreciate Evan Lysacek even more.

i love to skate

Medalist
In any case, romantic interest or not, there was definitely an extreme closeness between Brian and Yuna over the last four years that *everyone* can see. , etc.

I think you had a great post! :thumbsup:

Just one thing - Brian is an openly gay man.

ETA:
He's poisoning the well for himself a little too, making it clear that he's not going to suffer in silence if he doesn't like the way a coaching relationship ended.

I don't think Brian would have said anything if he hadn't been seriously disrespected. Brian is not the type to stir the pot so I don't think he would be this way with everyone. If Yuna had attended the meeting, informed him of the firing, thanked him for his work, wished him luck, and left the Cricket Club. None of this would be happening right now.

Having this discussion and news has been an interesting way to spend a rainy day off though! :biggrin:

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Ha. Please let this not be the start of some rumor, I have no source what so ever. I am just sitting here puzzling over what could have happened, and so far that's the only "explanation" I can think of that would explain everything, save for the fact that he's very publicly gay.

bekalc

Record Breaker
IMO every coach who was with elite skaters has strong incentives to do damage control unless the parting is absolutely clean cut, because it is usually the student who chooses to leave the coach, not the other way around. If the coaches don't say anything about the circumstances and give his side's story, people will for sure speculate that there is a possibility that the coach is not up to the elite students' standards and that's why he/she left the coach. Orser is just building his reputation as a world class coach, so damage control could come to him as a necessity in this situation.

Except for the fact that Brian just coached Yu-na to OGM. I bet everyone would figure that it was because of other reasons that Yu-na left.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
We-ell...while any responsible journalist will try to give the quotes they use correctly , they're not required to quote everything...and anyone who is suddenly being sought for multiple interviews might be sure to include things that were left out or glossed over in the previous interviews...So there's this link which was posted at FSU from abc/espn , which gives a slightly different perspective ;
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wirestory?id=11472061&page=1

This sounds more like Brian.. and honestly, if he's taken at his word ( he is by me ), I don't see how he could have done much differently. After getting no clarification (answers to his emails) and with the new season looming, he makes a staightforward and restrained statement through his agent. Then Yuna's's agent gives a statement claiming that he fired them and raising the old dread "other skater" scenario. I think he pretty well had to try to clarify. Maybe it's not working as well as he would like, but I don't see how he could keep mum when his announcement was met by insinuation.

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
Where is David Wilson?

He should be one of very few people who could take some heat off from the two sides. Only if he stepped up and said this all has been due to one huge misunderstanding.

prettykeys

Medalist
Where is David Wilson?

He should be one of very few people who could take some heat off from the two sides. Only if he stepped up and said this all has been due to one huge misunderstanding.
Ohh, man. I am sure David is already in one heck of an awkward spot. I think it'd be better if he didn't get involved.

feraina

Record Breaker
Maybe Yu-na turned him. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. :laugh: )

Ha. Who could resist the charms of Yu-na? ;)

And just to fan the flames, here's Brian's quote at the end of that abcnews article:

"It's disappointing because it involves Yu-na," Orser said. "I love her and I've been working with her and we've grown together and she's flourished under this team that we had. So I'm saddened we weren't able to get through it."

Honestly, he sounds heartbroken.

prettykeys

Medalist
Honestly, he sounds heartbroken.
Yes, he does. :cry:

Honestly feraina, your imaginary scenario crossed my mind, and I thanked the stars that he is openly gay, since it saves us all another potential can of worms.

I am also wondering if at any point, YuNa felt slighted or ignored. Maybe one day Brian was exasperated with her lack of motivation early in the summer?

feraina

Record Breaker
Maybe Yu-na turned him. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

I don't seriously think there could be romantic interest on Brian's side (or even aware of the possibility, which makes sense since he's gay and knows everyone knows it), especially not if he says at the end of that interview that he loves her, given the circumstances.

But a girl can fall in love with a gay man, why not? :p Yu-na sounded seriously anguished in her tweet. She called him a liar and seemed extremely hurt. I mean, think about it: what is this reason for the split, that he could be totally confused about, and his expression for his confusion makes Yuna that angry and hurt?? No other crime than just this very expression of ignorance for the reason of the split.

And if the reason was really this, then she could've been part of the decision, and still tell Brian she was confused when he finally got to talk to her in person.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I don't seriously think there could be romantic interest on Brian's side (or even aware of the possibility, which makes sense since he's gay and knows everyone knows it), especially not if he says at the end of that interview that he loves her, given the circumstances.

But a girl can fall in love with a gay man, why not? :p Yu-na sounded seriously anguished in her tweet. She called him a liar and seemed extremely hurt. I mean, think about it: what is this reason for the split, that he could be totally confused about, and his expression for his confusion makes Yuna that angry and hurt?? No other crime than just this very expression of ignorance for the reason of the split.

This scenario so reminds me of the Jennifer Aniston movie "The Object of My Affection" in which a young woman falls in love with her gay male friend. :)

prettykeys

Medalist

Maybe YuNa or someone on her side feels it was obvious that Brian did something wrong to YuNa. Maybe it's not an issue or decision that "came out of the blue." Maybe Brian's suggestions that the mom was taking control and/or acting wrongly hit a sensitive spot. Who knows.

Ewww, the thought of a romantic something between them sounds so wrong.

*claps hands on ears lalalalala*

feraina

Record Breaker
I am also wondering if at any point, YuNa felt slighted or ignored. Maybe one day Brian was exasperated with her lack of motivation early in the summer?

Nah. He sounds extremely understanding of Yuna's need to have a break, or take the time to figure out whether she wants to go on with competing. But a girl smitten... can see slight where there isn't. And don't we keep on hearing about some kind of slight or negligence from Yuna's side, when it seems so clear to the rest of us that he genuinely cares about her and puts her first.

Cerulean

Rinkside
OK, I know I'm really reaching here but could it be that Yuna and her team did not know Orser was gay and they just found out recently and felt uncomfortable about it?