dress borrowing? | Golden Skate

dress borrowing?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Stars On Ice costumes get used all the time for other one time shows...

Jhar55

Medalist
Yea it look very much like one of MK's. In her SP at sakte america the blue dress she wore thought I saw it on someone else couple years ago.
With the cost of these dresses why not resale, borrow,. Someone might as well get some use out of them. What aren't they only wore at the most one season? :rolleye:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I'm all for re-using, recycling, etc. I'd be pretty much in awe if I were and young skater wearing MK's dress!

hlagirl25

Rinkside
I get alot of "Ariane" when looking at this dress but from everything I remember, MK's dress had a solid skirt of lavender made up of a heavier weight material.

Just my opinion...

Pookie

Final Flight
It looks an awful lot like the same dress but the skirt is different. It's a different fabric and it has sequins. Michelle's doesn't. I don't if they could modify a borrowed dress.

TaraFanatic4eva

Rinkside
Although I am aware that a lot of skaters to borrow dresses, I am not sure that that dress was, in this case. It looks as if it may have been designed after it, but I do think that material and the skirt appear different. I think it would be wonderful if more skaters did share cotumes all the same!

pipsqueak

Rinkside
I think skaters borrow and swap costumery all the time, esp at cetain rinks that have an esp. chummy atmosphere. I do know that there's one or two "skating seamstresses" that could keep busy just rehashing (changing sequins, trims, sleeves, skirts, etc)borrowed or swapped outfits for both male and female skaters....let alone sewing up new ones. These things are too expensive to NOT do this sort of thing once in awhile.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I do not know if it is the same skater, but this post on Skatefans talks about a skater at Easterns who skated to Ariane in a dress that looked like Michelle's. Anyone know if the name mentioned in this post is the skater in the picture?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Interesting thread.... :)

I, too, believe that skaters borrow & use costumes frequently......why not :confused: .......definitely saves on cost and how generous & nice to do so also. Maybe with a little altercation here & there, especially as the original skater probably won't use it again. Unless it's a very special costume (ala Olympic costumes that are on display in some museum or other). Otherwise, go for it! :love:

As to the original question, I believe that one of the Asada sisters (Mai or Mao) used a costume of their legendary countrywomen, Midori Ito, at Japan Nationals last year. The younger Asada sister btw........the one whom landed a 3/3/3 (severely underrotated but great try) at Nationals last year.........real cutie too ~ costume was a lovely shade of blue with white ruffles/flounces (hard to describe). Anyhow, how kind of Midori to do so ~ and it helped obviously. :)^D

One more note, I was completely blown away when I saw a brief pic of Jennifer Kirk's SP costume this year! :eek: It looked exactly like the one that Oksana Baiul wore in the opening number of COI in 2000 ~ where she danced briefly to the "Macarena Song". Gorgeous dress btw; definitely rates as one of my all-time favorite dresses ever (bar none). Anyhow, if it is the same one, I say "right on"! :love:

Peace & Love, Nadine

Last edited:

guinevere

Final Flight
tharrtell said:
I remember someone saying that Sasha wore one of Jenny Meno's dresses last year and the dress in the pic below looks like MK's Ariane (I believe dress). One of her coaches is Karen Kwan, so it could be.

I thought at first you were saying that Sasha was wearing one of MK's old costumes. :eek: Now THAT would be pretty odd (not even getting into the sizing issues)

LOL!!!!!

guinevere

Olenska

Rinkside
Last year at Skate Canada, I think that the French team Pechalat-Bourzat wore old A/P costumes. Or is it another team who did?