What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 bring us in ICE DANCE?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
By skating to the samba. Their best thing was lovely, lyrical skating. They found it hard, IMO, to get the correct expression of dances other than waltz. I found them a bit boring & rather un-samba-ish in this program.

I don't know why, but they always struck me as rather unimaginative people.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin:

I have to go with K/P as the best interpretation.. I never could understand his costume though .I'm awfully glad those baggy pants are out..U/Z's costumes were absolutely hideous. ( I'd blotted them from my mind.) And this was a better samba for G/P than the later FD.

Love hearing Toller on the D/D clip. ( I still long for his commentary,sometimes.)

Edit: just coming back to qualify.. If you ask me which guy, on his own , did the best Samba here , Platov wins hands down.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Look at Yulia and Max. Then look at K&P. I think all 4 teams missed the boat on expression. A sad commentary on the difficulty of bringing the samba to the ice.

I agree that G&P were maybe better in this program than in the 1996 samba FD, though. I am fine with K&P winning the segment. I just would never watch this OSP of theirs unless I were trying to make a point about skating to samba. (I wish they had not fired Toller. He always had something interesting to say!)

KKonas

Medalist
Samba is the toughest dance to bring to the ice because you have to have a lot of hip action which is not something that comes naturally to skaters even ice dancers. Of the 4 examples, G&P had the fastest and most technically difficult dance IMO, but none of them had a real sense of good interpretation as we see on the floor. It will be interesting to what Tessa & Scott can bring to this dance.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:It's sort of like being asked to sort the wheat from the chaff when there's actually no wheat in the basket...

I have to be more careful with my words..when I said K/P had the best interpretation of the group, I really meant sort of the overall translation onto ice,taking the smooth skating into account.( Not their personal, dance rendering...not sure that's clear , yet )

But I totally agree with doris that none showed a really good samba. It's picking the best of a bad bunch. D/D were hopeless. G/P had the most samba-like choreography,but only Platov seemed to feel the music, at all..K/P? ..she still managed to look polished (and had the best costume)..he was stiff. No real feeling..U/Z ? I never could even enjoy his breakout..To me, he seemed to be miming playing a drum rather than dancing..

I'm hoping that as T/D gave us the definitive Rhumba , maybe V/M will give us the definitive Samba...:) ( I live in hope. ) I've been forgetting how quickly that LA show is coming up. even a modified show version should give us an idea..c'mon video.

beep_beep

Medalist
I hate, hate, hate, hate latin dances on ice. Apart from T&D's rhumba (which I love). There hasn't been one that I even came close to liking. I'm still trying to remove the images of the 2005/2006 ODs from my brain.

All of the dances look too gimmicky (is that even a word :p ?), the vast majority of the skaters can't shake their hips, so they resort to skaking their shoulders and stomping the ice while in the most ridiculous costumes ever imagined (N/K's OD comes to mind...)
I know latin dances are particularly hard to translate to the ice, but does it have to look so bad ???

(Mind you, I have a problem with the concept of ballroom latin to start with, it's not true latin dance, it's the european concept of what they think latin dance is. Altough the video of ballroom dancers posted is not so bad, they have relly good footwork and hip movements)

I'd kill to see someone dancing to gafieira samba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj2GrLegy4I&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7ZBg_zbfk&feature=related
Carlinhos de Jesus' videos are good too.

I'm not too happy with V/M going for latin/samba (you just didn't see that one coming, did ya :p). Specially latin as by Zoueva/Shpilband.
I'd love to be hapily surprised, but I don't think it'll happen. At least it's not lovey-dovey again for them.

Which brings me to the topic of Z/V's camp: after watching the Shibs' FD from Nebelhorn, I'm afraid we'll get to see too much of the same FD for the masses stuff.

And on the topic of the Shibs: they are wonderful!! They skate so beautifully and Maya is so elegant and poised on the ice. I forget she's just a kid. Hopefully, she'll grow some more, and they go to someone else for choreo. I think they need to improve the distance between them when they skate.

Sorry for the smell of moth balls. It's been a while since I last posted.:biggrin:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin:Great clips !..Gee..I have to say I agree about ballroom latin being what is too often emulated or at least attempted.( including some of the costumes ) Part of the problem is that ballroom latin has become so snowed under with purely ballroom mannerisms. I liked seeing the dance clips by Max and Yulia because V/M are using that music, but I generally feel ballroom show dances make poor examples. I looked at a M&Y Samba show dance that was strictly from mars..

I'd love to see something more along the lines of beep_beep's samba vids utilized in Mujer Latina..we know holds are being encouraged...;)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just now read on fsu that Evan Bates suffered a serious injury today, wherein Emily's blade sliced into his achilles tendon, and he'll be having surgery on Thursday, at which time they will know the full extent of his injury.

For me personally, this immediately brought flashbacks to 2002, wherein one of my favorite pair couples of all-time (Abitbol & Bernadis of France) suffered the exact same thing. That is, Sarah Abitbol ruptured her achilles tendon in practice a month prior to the 2002 Olympics, dashing all hopes of competing at said Olympics. What a tough little thing she was! Continually practicing that throw 3A, of which she barely missed at the 1998 Olympics (a step out is all), and knowing she would need it for the 2002 Olympics she unfortunately injured herself. :(

Take heart, Emily & Evan, ice dance is not as hard on the foot as pairs, wherein the couple have to do jumps & land difficult ones as well. And thank goodness it didn't happen before the 2010 Olympics! Sarah Abitbol had to stay off the ice for 6 months when she ruptured hers. Rehabilitation worked wonders for her, as she & her partner of 10 years (at the time) came back wonderfully. :) As I'm sure you two will do as well. :)^)

p.s. now it's Evan's turn to be injured; recall when Emily was injured in 2007 at Jr. Worlds, wherein she fell during their FD, and Evan accidentally stepped on her left middle finger, slicing the tendon in half. And then they both came back that Fall better than ever!!!!!

herios

Medalist
now it's Evan's turn to be injured; recall when Emily was injured in 2007 at Jr. Worlds, wherein she fell during their FD, and Evan accidentally stepped on her left middle finger, slicing the tendon in half. And then they both came back that Fall better than ever!!!!!

I am really sorry to hear such news, that is very unfortunate. If the achilles tendon was sliced, their season could be totally compromised. He will need a lot of rehab and could be months before he gets back to train. This is similar to Sarah Abitbol as circumstances, but also remember HongBo Zhao sufferred also a ruture in 2005...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Hongbo's injury was a rupture, Evan's is a slicing/severing. It's unclear at this point whose condition is relatively worse, in terms of medical professionals being able to repair and salvage. Hongbo Zhao had a tough rehab but got through it. Sadly, Bates/Samuelson's 2010-2011 season is over before it begins. I hope that they will be able to rehab and regroup for the 2011-2012 season. And that this isn't of a career-ending magnitude.

herios

Medalist

KKonas

Medalist
A few SD from Nebelhorn, which were later posted on youtube and because nobody follows that thread anymore, i will stick them here:

Pechalat - Bourzat Waltz - Amelie and tango - Piazzola

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_uqh0_J93Y

Apparently Zhulin was not at Nebelhorn with Pechalat & Bourzat, which might explain their problems in the Short Dance. Interesting note was that Natalia Dubova, the co-creator of the Golden Waltz, was there with the Ukrainian team, who placed 11th in the SD.

herios

Medalist
Just to add to this SD's list:

Bobrova - Solovyev
http://www.youtube.com/user/FSmihsersh#p/u/31/EyccGQ8u2WU

Ilinyh - Katsalapov
http://www.youtube.com/user/FSmihsersh#p/u/14/pYVOGR2N1p0

Ryazanova - Tkachenko
http://www.youtube.com/user/FSmihsersh#p/u/30/8cicoTXaF2I

Monko - Halyavin junior SD
http://www.youtube.com/user/FSmihsersh#p/u/29/RUxMaYuemBM

All clips are from Moscow test skate a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for posting these videos.
I was hearing this off season, that Ilinykh / Katsapalov would be the next russian ice dance leaders?
Sorry, not with these type of dances. I was "agonizing" just listening to their "agony" valse choice. Who's idea was that? Such a dark music, is rather disturbing imo.
Bobrova / Soloviev are at the opposite end for me. Great choice, to pick such an upbeat popular tune (Tom Jones, yeah baby) and unorthodox music for their waltz. They will bring the audience into it, clapping along the way. A little rough and sloppy here there, but they were flying across the ice.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Can't watch these right now since i'm in a library with no headphones, but I'm so looking forward to seeing some of these short dances! :)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) Is anyone going to be able to attend the Arctic Edge dress rehearsal tomorrow ? Here's hoping for a report, at least.