Laura Lepistö injured | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Laura Lepistö injured

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Well, this doesn't belong to Laura topic but I want to clarify that Shae-Lynn Bourne made Kiira's SP and David Wilson made her FS. I prefer more her SP but I have a feeling that FS will be better after repeats and competitions.

I also wish Laura would do something else than tango. Sibelius have many good pieces but I wouldn't put any patriotic music to skating. It would be too "corny" here in Finland... we have heavy history with wars so IMHO patriotic music wouldn't fit to figure skating. I don't know what other Finnish people here think of this issue?

Last edited:

berrycute

On the Ice
Well, this doesn't belong to Laura topic but I want to clarify that Shae-Lynn Bourne made Kiira's SP and David Wilson made her FS. I prefer more her SP but I have a feeling that FS will be better after repeats and competitions.

I also wish Laura would do something else than tango. Sibelius have many good pieces but I wouldn't put any patriotic music to skating. It would be too "corny" here in Finland... we have heavy history with wars so IMHO patriotic music wouldn't fit to figure skating. I don't know what other Finnish people here think of this issue?

Yes, Shae-Lynn did the SP, but I thought it was a bit blah. The FS is more compelling, IMO.

Hmm, I should probably point out I meant patriotic in the most general sense of the world (eg picking a Finnish composer as a sign of being proud to be a Finn). I didn't mean she should be skating to some jingoist extravaganza (eg, no Brit should ever skate to Rule Britannia, but Elgar or Vaughn Williams might be a nice choice!). Laura doesn't need to be out there in white and blue waving a flag as she skates to Finlandia, there are other nice possibilities from Sibelius, Valse Triste is a classic, or maybe something from the Karelia Suite. I also love this piano Romance of his (op. 24, I think). All lovely works that I think would be great for the ice.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Ok, I misunderstood. I like Kiira's SP very much, more than her FS. But maybe it'll be better during the season.

Now I understood the meaning of "patriotic", I just can't imagine Laura or any Finnish skater skating with Finlandia, which is awesome, very patriotic piece (I've played it dozens of times) but it just doesn't fit to the ice at all, IMHO. But you are right, Sibelius has many beautiful works, including his piano pieces which could be used for skating. Valse Triste was fantastic when Rahkamo/Kokko used it at 90's.

ankka

Rinkside
Laura has now withdrawn from Skate America. According to her she's in ok shape and her programs are in good shape now but due to starting her practice with full speed not that long after the hip injury has put a lot of stress on her achilles tendon. Apparently it's an old problem with the tendon and now it's hurting after every practice. They made the decision very recently with her coach as they don't want to risk the rest of the season. She'll be concetrating more on physiotherapy and postpone her start of the season. For the few ones who speak Finnish, the news can be read here http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/muut/ta...iston_kauden_avaus_viivastyy_yha_2090647.html

Not that I'm Finnish, but Sibelius is such a rich, glorious composer that I had to voice my hope for more Sibelius skating programs. (Not just by Finnish skaters, I hasten to add!) He's a fabulous melodist and orchestrator, and I'm a huge fan. There are lovely sections of his symphonies, especially the Third Symphony, that might make good programs. There are promising bits of his Pelleas and Melisande and also some wonderful sections of the King Christian incidental music. The first section of this link, the Nocturne, has some really splendid potential, for either a strong woman skater or a man. Or a pair! I always imagined Paul Wylie skating to this. Though it's intense, it has a waltz rhythm that would make for wonderful footwork and upper body movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4eAsOZtkIk

I'm really sorry that Laura is out of Skate America. I hope she recovers enough to shine in the rest of the season.

sorcerer

Final Flight
So now that Laura is out of Skate America too, who will replace her ?
(In the newest entry list her name is crossed with a line.)

Now the ISU's seasonal best list is of this season 2010/2011, and I can't find the last season's to look for who can still qualify...

Maybe Gizmo can recover her slot she lost from CoC?
I don't know why she withdrew from China though.

Maybe Gizmo can recover her slot she lost from CoC?

I don't know why she withdrew from China though.

I think the rules specifically forbid that. If you withdraw from an assigned event, you cannot receive a later one.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Right. Thank you MM, now I remember that I've read it many times. :eek::

Then any one of these?
Elena Glebova, Yan Liu, Ivana Reitmayerova, Joshi Helgesson, ...
Somebody else from the top 75 seasonal best last season?
Chelzie?
I still can't find the list.

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
Thanks Sylvia for the info (and thank you HisWeirness though she may not read GS.)
I wondered why Hecken was not even in the list in HisWeirness's summary and realized she was intially assigned to Skate Canada but withdrew. Glebova seems to be the most reasonable alternate.

@sorcerer
In addition to Sylvia's link, here is a complete SB list for the ladies from the 2009-10 season:
http://deep-edge.net/sb.php?c=2&s=2009

sorcerer

Final Flight
Thank you champs and Sylvia.

In any case the replacement is to be made before the "seven day mark" in the clause 7.6 of the GP announcement, so it's about only 10 days left.
Hoping very much for Chelzie, because for Elena it would be back-to-back participation.

sorcerer

Final Flight
So Oksana Gozeva got in place of Laura.

(And Yan Liu is out of CoC, probably no replacements b/c too close to the event...)

There might be other replacements to come, I sort of fear.

Last edited: