Which Skaters Have Tattoos? | Golden Skate

Which Skaters Have Tattoos?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ever since I saw the three beautiful tattoos that Evgeni Plushenko got recently, I've been curious about which skaters have them?

So far the only thread I was able to find in GS's "search" option about this was this one (but it's about forum members, *not* skaters): http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?5334-Who-has-tattoos&highlight=tattoos

From my own internet investigating the past day, I've found the following skaters have tattoos (accompanied with pics):

Evgeni Plushenko ~ http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2347/x2275c863.jpg

Denise Biellmann ~ http://www.blick.ch/people/schweiz/gestochen-scharfe-51-kilo-kunst-152125 (six pages full! WARNING: lots of "skin" shown)

I couldn't find any more pictures, but I did read that Patrick Chan wanted to get one after the 2010 Olympics: http://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/article/708435--patrick-chan-ice-prince

Also, I thought I read that Joannie Rochette got one? And for some crazy reason I thought Stephane Lambiel and Brian Joubert had them as well?

Thanks for indulging my curiousity everyone, but I find this topic totally fascinating; getting a tattoo is a glimpse into one's soul, especially when the tattoo is esoteric in nature (re: Zhenya).

p.s. this reminds me of a fascinating book I once read entitled "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) i think Sinead Kerr has one, anyway , because it showed a bit over the top of her hot pants in their OD last year..I don't think it was make -up, because it was mostly covered up anyway.;)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Shucks, I was honestly hoping to see some pics of more skaters with tats. :( It would've been fun to decipher the meaning behind the more esoteric ones. In the meantime, I'm left to wonder what more tattoos Evgeni plans to add in the future...

Lol, I have a guilty pleasure of wanting to see him with a particular one that starts on the right side of his chest and then winds itself up & around his neck. ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't Lloyd Eisler known for getting tattoos to commemorate competitions? Not sure about Isabelle Brasseur, though.

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
During the run-up to the 2010 Olympics, Jessica Dube and Bryce Davison mentioned in an interview that they got tattoos to commemorate being in the 2006 Olys. They were laughing about it and said it really hurt!

sillylionlove

Medalist
I know that Jeremy Barrett has a tatto of Oympic Rings on his arm...or maybe back...can't remember. He posted the pictures of the tattos on his facebook page.

stevlin

On the Ice
Vaughn Chipeur has a tattoo on his shoulder of a Canadian maple leaf . I myself hate tattoos. Especially black ones. From a distance they look like dirt on skin. I hope they [the ink] don't cause skin cancer somehere in the future. Tattos really look ugly when a woman wears an evening gown and her arms are exposed with ink marks all over.

prettykeys

Medalist
Those are some ugly-*** tattoos.

If you're gonna get one, make it a nice one. Cryptic Asian letters on people non-fluent in those languages are the worst and make me go :rolleye: :disapp: :bang:

ETA: Actually, Biellmann's side dragon tattoo looks OK. The others are :disagree:

Last edited:

Brandenburg

Rinkside
Katia Gordeeva has a tattoo on her ankle - not a great one, a badly executed flower.

I don't know why someone would do that to their own body but people do, my younger son included (you can imagine how happy I was to hear that one but he's an adult).

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks everybody for the responses; fascinating info.

Well since I'm the one whom started the topic, I just wanted to say I have none of my own nor do I intend to get any due to personal and religious reasons. But if I ever did (which I will not) it would be a white invisible one with all the names of my family members enclosed in a heart. And, yes, they do have white ones, lol, because I recall watching an episode of The Osbournes years ago wherein Ozzy's son first tattoo was a small white heart on the right side of his back with his mom's name inside it. :)

Anyhow, I'm more interested in why, which is probably why I watch that program "Inked" with Kat Von D every once in a while. Some just do it to be a follower, a fad/the "in" thing to do, but more often than not there's a deeply personal reason behind it; that's the part I find fascinating. :)^)

That said, lol, I do wonder what they will look like in 40 or 50 years, but it doesn't cheapen the meaning. My own father had his nickname tattooed on his left upper arm by a friend when he was a young wild teenager, just for fun. :D

I don't judge them one way or the other, I just find it fascinating is all, and would like to see more pics of those skaters that have tattoos.

prettykeys

Medalist
I have seen some amazing/gorgeous tattoos here or there. And Kat...while I don't agree with all her tattoos, has some interesting ones (as well as being a strikingly beautiful lady.)

To be honest, I am a little surprised how many of these tattoos that skaters get are in bad taste. I would have expected a little better, given that Figure Skating is an artistic sport.

To be honest, I am a little surprised how many of these tattoos that skaters get are in bad taste. I would have expected a little better, given that Figure Skating is an artistic sport.

Why don't they just get the kind that wash off when they get tired of it? Will they, at age 60, still want the same old tattoo?

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Jeremy did the best job, you dont get bored of a tatoo you need double mirrors to even see it:laugh:
I dont like dragons. I like Jeremys and Fabian's although i didnt see at first, lol!
Fernandez with Oly rings, not so much as an idea!

Plushy 's diamond VIAM SUPERVADET VADENS is known in greek as well, i dont think it is latin but somehow i know what is the meaning, the cross is ok I guess but i dont like religious symbols, the third is that worries me, if he gets divorce with his wife he is busted:laugh:

Kerr's are nice!

Forgot to say that Bielman's flowers in the arm, it is like she has chickenpox:sheesh:

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Why don't they just get the kind that wash off when they gfet tired of it? Will they, at age 60, still want the same old tattoo?
Don't know! I think the tattoo culture partly celebrates the permanancy of the deed.

These tattoos (to me) are beautiful:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/...s i want/wolf-tattoo-117349855911637.jpg?o=30

http://media.photobucket.com/image/beautiful tattoos/marcopolo012390/flowers_tattoos.jpg?o=27

I'd be scared to have it done on myself, but I could appreciate them.

For now, I'll just have to continue contemplating tattooing "LUCK" or "TRUTH" in plain English lettering on some part of my body (maybe forehead?) and going to an isolated, foreign society so they can view the alphabet without understanding what they mean. Then I could further impress them by informing them it's not even my ethnic language.

Nadine

Record Breaker
All this talk of tattoos brings to mind a book I read years & years ago (darn, I wish I could remember the name), which affected me greatly. In it, the main character was a man that was sent to prison in ancient times (I think he was a slave), and while he was out from having been beaten unconscious they had a tattoo artist ink a huge colorful bright cross on the front of his chest & back (covered it entirely). This you see was supposed to be a punishment to "mark" him. So whenever the other prisoners saw this mark, they would beat him because the country was anti-Christian. Now that is what I call "bearing your belief".

Lol, now I'm going to be searching for that book until I find it. :D

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I understand why skaters get Olympic tattoos, but otherwise, I hate all other tattoos. To each his own though.