Ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just looking at protocols.

Adelina did a 3Z-3Lo which generated 11.4 points. Wow! By the far the highest scoring element in the competition.

It looks like Christina did not go for the 3-3, which makes her score pretty impressive! And it looks like she still had to work on her Lutz. The edge call cost her about 2 points. I'm thinking she's leaving some points on the table by not doing another combo somewhere. But otherwise nice work.

PCS was similar though (Christina only had 1.77 less) so clearly the battle was won on the TCS. Here's a breakdown

Adelina vs Christina (by order of highest point value after GOE)
JUMPS
3Lz-3LO vs 3L-2T-2L (A by 3.30 points)
2A-3T vs 3F-2T (C by .70 points)
3Lz vs 3F* (A by .87 points)
3F vs 3L* (A by .19 points)
3L vs. 3T* (A by 1.19 points)
3S* vs 3S (A by .82 points)
2A* vs 2A* (A by .21 points)

OTHER ELEMENTS
CCoSp4 vs CCosp4 (A by .5 points)
FCSp4 vs Fssp4 (A by .56 points)
LSp4 vs Lsp4 (C by .22 points)
SlSt3 vs Slst2 (A by .79 points) -- Christina got a level 2 on this spin. OUCH.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Ok, so what happened to polina. Has she grown a lot or something? It looks like she couldn't rotate any triples in both the sp and lp.
Russia could very well have 0 medal contention girls in 2014. All of them are oddly inconsistent. The best so far is so young, who knows if she can manage her puberty, boys, etc.

Polina is always like this, she falls, has UR at the beginning of the season, but then does great and rotate everything like last year at Junior Nationals and Junior Worlds, she'll be OK, I tell you ;)
Don't worry, there are more than 1-3 strong girls here in Russia. I counted about 10 :) And there are still Lipnitskaya and Medvedeva who will be at the JGP next season. Oh, and Ksenia Makarova too.

Adelina was amazing, what more can I say? Star quality on everything! And she is just like ballerina, so graceful and cute! I like her programs very much (TAT choregraphed both, and this time she did really well!). Best wishes for her, what a talent!

oleada

Record Breaker
Ok, so what happened to polina. Has she grown a lot or something? It looks like she couldn't rotate any triples in both the sp and lp.
Russia could very well have 0 medal contention girls in 2014. All of them are oddly inconsistent. The best so far is so young, who knows if she can manage her puberty, boys, etc.

Gotta love this quote. Russia has won all three JGP events so far, Makarova is young and doing well and they have more talents coming up the ranks but they have no hope in Sochi. Hilarious.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Gotta love this quote. Russia has won all three JGP events so far, Makarova is young and doing well and they have more talents coming up the ranks but they have no hope in Sochi. Hilarious.

+1
If Russia has no hope, what about USA? Lower than zero?..

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Christina got the silver! :clap:

I am seeing high scores here. Do the new rules make the scores higher for everyone?

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Christina got the silver! :clap:

I am seeing high scores here. Do the new rules make the scores higher for everyone?

No, the FS scores should be about the same as the girls perform the same element. Though GOE's and base values and downgrades rules have changed, I don't think it is easier to get high scores. It's just gotten a little harder getting very, very low scores. SP scores should be lower compared to last season, as the girls don't perform a spiral sequence anymore.

Is it true Christina Gao won't get another JGP assignment? I looked at the entries for the final four JGP's and Christina is only a substitute. Whoever's in charge must be crazy not to send her to another competition.

Eris

On the Ice
Is it true Christina Gao won't get another JGP assignment? I looked at the entries for the final four JGP's and Christina is only a substitute. Whoever's in charge must be crazy not to send her to another competition.
No, all the girls in Germany and Chezh are just placeholders. Christina will get her second assignment without doubt. :)

FlattFan

Match Penalty

Did you not catch the inconsistency part? They could be winning in one event and totally bomb the next. Like Polina. Hilarious. Why do people get so defensive? :sheesh:

Lucky Star said:
If Russia has no hope, what about USA? Lower than zero?..
So? It's not about USA vs. Russia. This is 2010, we're not in the cold war era anymore, Lucky Star. :laugh: Did you just watch Salt or something? :).

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Did you not catch the inconsistency part? They could be winning in one event and totally bomb the next. Like Polina. Hilarious. Why do people get so defensive? :sheesh:

And? They are 13-14 years old, what did you expect? Show me a consistent 13-14 y.o. skater, please. Consistency comes with time and experience
So? It's not about USA vs. Russia. This is 2010, we're not in the cold war era anymore, Lucky Star. :laugh: Did you just watch Salt or something? :).
Just saying... So if Russia has no chance, USA and Japan obviously don't have any chances either... Who will skate in 2014?

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Polina is still tiny, she grew up a little bit, but not much. She's kind of like Rachael Flatt in that she gets a slow start to the season, usually performing a bit shaky at her first competitions and then slowly building and becoming more consistent by the end of the season. Her jumps were on in the SP, in the FS it looked like she was telegraphing her jumps a lot, being a bit hesitant going into them and that's likely why they didn't work out. The potential is still there and I'm sure she'll do better come nationals and JW if she makes the team. And if she continues to have some jumping issues she'd be great in pairs!

silverlake22

Record Breaker

It's hard at that age to be very consistent. Girls are growing very fast, their bodies change a lot, hormones and nerves are raging, pressure is felt, etc. Christina is consistent now but she's 16, and 2 years ago she was not very consistent or that good. Give these girls time and they may grow out of these inconsistent tendencies. And besides, it's only really Polina A and Anna that are inconsistent, Adelina and Liza are a little inconsistent but they never really bomb, and Shelepen is usually good about landing her jumps even if the rest of her performance is all over the place.

We's seen most of the up and coming Russian ladies perform on the JGP already. Adelina clearly the standout, Polina S was good on her jumps but her component marks show the rest of her skating needs work, Rosa skated quite well in one event and poorly in the other and has gorgeous jumps but presentation still needs work, Liza had moments of brilliance but let the nerves get to her and her marks were lower than most of us expected, Polina A had an off night but showed she still has the goods when it comes to her spins and 3lz-3t. I guess the only girl we haven't seen yet is Anna. Looking at Gao's and Sotnikova's PCS scores at this event, I tend to think Anna will be able to get very high marks on the JGP so long as she lands her jumps. I'm worried if her lack of a 3-3 will hurt her though, or maybe she has a 3-3 now. She is my favorite of all the young Russians, and very unique, but in this field, I hope she doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Arg too bad for Agafanova, she is so cutie!
LuckyStar I counted more then 10 this season and by the way I m new fan of Radionova since I saw her program in RC yesterday, and Adelina last year in Cor ex was great!!! I m confusing the names still but I m working on it. :p
Just saying... So if Russia has no chance, USA and Japan obviously don't have any chances either... Who will skate in 2014?

Maybe Plushy will switch to ladies :)

Videos

Christina Gao
Ayumi Goto
Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry
Kristina Kostkova
Rebecka Emanuelsson
Kate Charbonneau
Anais Morand

Last edited:

pokky_oc

On the Ice
Yeah!! Adelina was amazing!! She didn't do her 3rd combination though!! :confused: So maybe she might score higher in the next competition :biggrin: Maybe 180+? A junior record?? :think: Her components are already in the 50s so we can expect 180+ by the end of the season hopefully! :biggrin: Christina also did great!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And? They are 13-14 years old, what did you expect? Show me a consistent 13-14 y.o. skater, please. Consistency comes with time and experience

Exactly, consistency comes with time. Those girls might never develop it. :). I didn't say Russia has no chance. I said Russia might not have a contender. There's a subtle difference.

Polina is showing all sign of UR in most of her jumps even at this age. I don't even know how she will make it out of Russia. UR isn't easy to fix.

Last edited:

chipso1

Rinkside
Exactly, consistency comes with time. Those girls might never develop it. :). I didn't say Russia has no chance. I said Russia might not have a contender. There's a subtle difference.

Polina is showing all sign of UR in most of her jumps even at this age. I don't even know how she will make it out of Russia. UR isn't easy to fix.

You're giving us Americans a bad name. To say that the Russians are inconsistent but not mention the Americans' issues? Okay...

Russia has some really talented young ladies. It's not like all of them are going to succumb to the puberty monster. Sotnikova has fabulous technique...I expect she will be a major force in the senior ranks in a few years. Ditto for Gao...I am majorly impressed with both of them!! :)

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Anna O had lots of UR issues, especially on her lutz, at the beginning of last season and then she fixed them by the time Junior Nationals and Junior Worlds came around. She fell twice in her Jr. Worlds FS but both those jumps were fully rotated. So it can be worked on.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Sotnikova is amazing - she's so young and she's already landing both the 3L-3T and 3L-3R and getting positive GOEs for them?! Look out, Sochi! She's going to be a force for sure...now, if she hasn't undergone puberty yet I may have to revise my expectations. Oh, and that icky baby pink dress she had on in the SP has got to go, stat.

Gao has a few nice jumps, but so far her presentation is just very blah, and the fact that she is about as limber as Kim Yu-Na doesn't help, either.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Sotnikova is amazing - she's so young and she's already landing both the 3L-3T and 3L-3R and getting positive GOEs for them?! Look out, Sochi! She's going to be a force for sure...now, if she hasn't undergone puberty yet I may have to revise my expectations. Oh, and that icky baby pink dress she had on in the SP has got to go, stat.

Gao has a few nice jumps, but so far her presentation is just very blah, and the fact that she is about as limber as Kim Yu-Na doesn't help, either.

Being about as limber as Kim Yu-Na might help her in the long run. I mean, being very flexible hasn't gotten Czisny and Zhang that far...

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by FlattFan
Exactly, consistency comes with time. Those girls might never develop it. . I didn't say Russia has no chance. I said Russia might not have a contender. There's a subtle difference.

I don't think you really realize how much talent the Russians have right now amongst 11-14 year olds. They have quite easily the most depth of any nation about a dozen girls with talent. Polina A was never the most hyped. Adelina won Russian SENIOR nationals at 12 and just put out the highest debut score short and long ever for a girl. At least one of those kids will make it through. And competitive mettle will be there too because it will be difficult to get through to the international stage.