Massive post deletion | Golden Skate

Massive post deletion

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Yesterday I wrote several posts in the thread "Yu-Na news" (http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?29910-Yu-Na-news ). Those posts, in my opinion, have not infringed any rule of this forum (Forum guidelines: http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?18607-GS-Forum-Guidelines-(Updated-Feb-14-2010) ). Some of them were considerably long and I spent my time to writing them, as one of them was written by the request of other user who demanded some proof from me. I made what he wanted me to do and wrote a post which contained factual data that could prevent future misinformation for other people.

However this post as many of others and also posts of other people including that user were deleted without any previous notification which prevented me from making a backup copy and therefore it was a data loss.

I would like an explanation (not necessarily public, of course) why those posts were deleted, preferably with pointing out what rule was infringed by me and other people (5-6 in total whose posts were deleted).

I would like to note, that by how this thread stands now my initial concern (which provoked me to write my posts) is again there, as the incorrect information published in thread is not corrected with factual data. My efforts were in vain.

This post is not demanding anything (because it is forbidden by rules), it is just expressing my concern about the current state of things.
I would like to ask, if it's possible, for restoration of those posts or an explanation of their deletion.

I also would like to say, that starting from now all my posts and pages of threads where I will participate will be automatically saved on the hard drive of my computer. I don't have much free time, as apparently many people here have, and I can't allow myself a luxury of losing things I wrote while spending on this my precious time.

I would like to recommend to everyone who participates on this forum to save all the written data locally, as it may disappear at any time without any reason and without any previous notification.
Thank you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you want a copy of a deleted thread or post you wrote, for your personal files, you can pm me. At this time I can only get to the internet on my phone, so I can't help you on it till next week.. The most frequent reasons for unapproving threads or posts are:

Unsourced rumors

Any news item requires a link to a reputable source.

Copyright infringement.
Furnish a link to the source. Do not quote more than 2 short paragraphs from it, and those quotations should be in a quote block.

Insulting other posters
It's fine to say another poster is wrong. It is not fine to accuse them of lying, drunkeness, or drug use, or being a bot, for example. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable, or questioning the other posters' motives or personal habits.

Board Dragging
Quoting a quarrel & carrying on a quarrel that started on another board.

The deleted posts in question had both board dragging and insulting other posters problems.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would like to recommend to everyone who participates on this forum to save all the written data locally, as it may disappear at any time without any reason and without any previous notification.

Sarcasm will you get you nowhere - Fast. The mods don't have time to break up petty squabbles. Instead of closing a thread, we just opt to "unapprove" posts that ruin the entire thread as well as the morale of the board.

We don't need to provide an explanation. If you have read the guidelines, then you know this.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
gsk8
Hello.

Sarcasm will you get you nowhere - Fast. The mods don't have time to break up petty squabbles. Instead of closing a thread, we just opt to "unapprove" posts that ruin the entire thread as well as the morale of the board.

We don't need to provide an explanation. If you have read the guidelines, then you know this.
There is no sarcasm in my words. I really will save all threads where I will participate from now on. This thread was already saved several times, for example.

It wasn't my intention to talk with administration, but since you decided to talk with me, I would like to tell you, that I'm also an administrator of a forum which has approximately the same size as Golden skate, but it's not about figure skating at all. Our forum is 100% commercial free and doesn't have partner sites and things like this, but the mods still have time to stop discussions instead of deleting everything. What your staff does is not "unapproving" posts, is deleting them. You can unapprove something that was not yet published. For example, there is a common technique to prevent spammers and flooders known as "delayed posting". Is when you write a post, it is saved, but it will be published after 15 minutes, for example. Then the moderator can review it and approve or disapprove. When the post is published, it gets deleted, not disapproved. Especially if there is no explanation given. I understand that a lot of people don't have time to write explanations. But the posters also don't have time to write things for nothing.

In my opinion, when your staff deletes posts without notifications/explanations, is simply shows disrespect towards your visitors. It is commonly accepted that is better to prevent things instead of pretending that they didn't happen (people have their own memory as well as their own computer hardware to store data). Now I'm not telling you how you should administrate your own forum, but I just want you to know my opinion. Like a visitor, not administrator. Now, each forum has a clause that says that everything may get deleted at any time without any explanation. But that's one thing. Another if you want to have constant arguments or don't have them.

I also didn't demand any explanation. If you have read my first post, then you know this.

However I am very grateful to the moderator that contacted with me and even provided a copy of my post.

Last edited:
Daniel, sorry, but everything you have written here is nonsense. All that infantile bickering back and forth among you, janetfan, and the rest on the Yu-na thread was mere childish petulance, wasting the bandwidth resourses of Golden Skate and the time and patience of other contributors.

Its deletion requires no explanation, and none will be given in the future.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Mathman
About "bandwidth resources": my longest post was 2,35 kilobytes in size, in total the whole mess was no more than 15 kilobytes for sure, let's add + 2 kb for database maintenance. 17 kilobytes? Sounds a bit forced as significant amount of stored and transferred data.

Well, if my behavior is childish, is just fine with me, as I'm not trying to act mature...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
its a waste of bandwidth whenever you or anyone else resorts to the ridiculous behavior we've seen you participate in lately. If you are not willing to follow our guidelines and warnings (multiple) then appropriate action will be taken.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Tonichelle
Look, it was not my intention to start a fight with any moderator or administrator here. I simply asked if I can have an explanation (which I got), not demanded it. I also wanted to express my opinion as yet another visitor.
I will to follow your guidelines, but if my posts disappear and I don't really know why, it's only normal to ask for a reason in a gentle matter.

I believe I wasn't disrespectful to anyone at any time in this thread. However your remark (based or not) about my behavior being ridiculous I can only perceive as humiliating.

Therefore I think it came to its end: you know my opinion, I know yours (and grade of your disposition to talk). I will try to follow your guidelines (as I always tried). I also will store threads that are interesting to me and therefore I won't lose any posts.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stop playing the "who me" card and the "victim". Once again, many posts (not just yours) were "unapproved" and not "deleted".

Any posts that we see that contain subtle inuendos, jibes, and/or otherwise insult a poster will be unapproved in order to maintain the integrity of the thread.

So please drop it.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
gsk8
I don't play any card.
I looked for the vBulletin terminology and it turned out that they call posts which were removed from public view "unapproved". What a strange terminology.

Anyway, from my point of view as a visitor it is all the same. How I can know if my posts were deleted or removed? What does it matter anyway if the result is the same - I don't have access to them?

Any posts that we see that contain subtle inuendos, jibes, and/or otherwise insult a poster will be unapproved in order to maintain the integrity of the thread.
I see. I hope it also will apply in the future to the figure skaters too and not only users.

So please drop it.
Sure.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Could someone explain to me the difference between deleting a post and "unapproving" a post? It's not the same is it?

Daniel5555

On the Ice
R.D.
Could someone explain to me the difference between deleting a post and "unapproving" a post? It's not the same is it?
It is very simple. The moderators and administrators don't see the same forum as we see. Basically a forum is a database and every normal database has a feature to create different groups of users. Each user may have different "view" of database and he may be allowed to see only certain things and not to see others.
So, we are simply users and therefore we have what is usually called "public view". Each moderator has an option to remove a post from this view. That post will become invisible for users, but moderators will still actually see them inside the threads. Usually those posts are marked in different color, so you can easily see them if you have rights to do so. That is what they call "unapproving" in vBulletin terminology. For me this word is really strange, because I and the people I know usually use it with other meaning (you can unapprove posts that were not yet in the public view and remove the ones if they already were in that public view). Probably that's how the whole term originated, essentially it is the same operation, but it is done in different context. From the database point of view it is the same, but we are people, not the database, so I would use another word to be more clear.

Deleting posts on the other hand is deleting posts. They disappear from threads for everyone and go the trashcan from where they can be restored or deleted completely.

Now, for us, users, it's all the same, as I mentioned in my previous post. We don't see our posts anymore, so it really doesn't matter for us if they were removed from our view or they were deleted. I also think they don't store the invisible posts and threads forever, because it has no sense, so they end up deleted anyway.

Let me put it another way.

When one or two or more posters hijack an otherwise interesting and active thread in order to engage in personal vendettas and mutual name-calling, this kills the thread and discourages other Golden Skate members from participating.

When this happens, posts are likely to disappear so that the thread can continue on topic. We expect posters to use their intelligence to figure out why certain quarrelsome posts are suddenly missing, without the necessity of holding anyone's hand and spelling it out to them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd like to add that while we try to protect skaters from unsourced rumors, criticizing their skating is more than fair game. If not, there would be nothing to discuss.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
When this happens, posts are likely to disappear so that the thread can continue on topic.

It's magic!!! Do you also pull rabbits out of hats?:cool:
That sounds cool, so do you mods watch our posts in orange, pink and blue ? :)