Kavaguti & Smirnov upgrade their throw jump | Golden Skate

Kavaguti & Smirnov upgrade their throw jump

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
They've only been together a few months.

I find it crazy to bash them, considering.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
Your statement about this pair team is already incorrect because they don't suck at "spiraling". They have a very innovative spiral sequence in their program that exhibits good extension.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is against the guidelines to insult other posters. I have edited out the insults and issued warnings. Next time any of you insults another poster, there will be infractions.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I see that the first post is about Kavaguti and Smirnov but then the whole thread about V&T because of the second post by the thread starter. Kavaguti and Smirnov have to do something. The throw quad salchow didn't always work! So they need another hard throw. Lutz is harder than loop so if they do a throw quad salchow and it fails then they do a throw triple lutz that makes up some points.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I find this throw lutz very odd. They have been together for so long and aren't young anymore. Suddenly, adding a new throw? They aren't that consistent with throws to begin with. Their pcs are good enough to be in contention for the gold. They just have to be clean.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe it is part of a strategy to stay on top in Russia because some other teams are generating good buzz. They may want the other teams to try hard stuff and then maybe hope they can't do it. I mean Moskvina is very strategic. And Kavaguti was a singles skater so maybe she has ambition to do hard jumps.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2kufvCAg-0

New short program. Looks like they're going for the triple lutz.
Why on earth? They always get good GOE for their throw loop.
No SC, no GPF. Does anyone know their actual plan?
They started to train again not so long ago, maybe a month or even less because of their injuries, that's why they withdrew from SC (and that's why they didn't show their LP at the test skates). They wanted to get the second GP later, but it didn't work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4JlPY6vvEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uprtf5Mbkhg

Another hot mess on ice. They skate like the Zhangs without the technical skill. Look at their spins, jumps, throws, spirals. Russia might not get 3 spots for pairs next year.
It's not like they will compete at Worlds tomorrow. Their first international competition will be in February, not earlier. They have enough of time. Now they are learning new throw technique and that's why their throws are inconsistent. We should just wait
Oh, and don't worry about 3 spots. Even without V/T there are still K/S, B/L and others ;)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm not a fan of the way throw Lutzes look...the way the girl toepicks in between the man's legs that. Blah. I think every pair should stick with the Salchow and Loop (or Triple Axel), unless they can do a HUGE throw Lutz. Savchenko and Szolkowy do that throw with tons of amplitude, so it looks more appealing, although even with them I feel like a Loop would be stylistically better for some of their programs.

Well, actually, according to the current rules Savchenko/Szolkowy do a throw Flip, but I highly disagree with that classification. What they actually do is a throw flutz. A real throw Flip would see the girl facing the man as they go into the jump and then she would be thrown after doing a mohawk or 3-turn (and picking into the ice of course). A true throw Flip would probably actually be harder than a throw Lutz because of how the man would have to maneuver while the girl does the 3-turn/mohawk and then quickly and precisely time the throw with the momentum of that movement.

Ellen

Rinkside
Oh, and don't worry about 3 spots. Even without V/T there are still K/S, B/L and others ;)
I feel upset and worried for B/L. Considering their performance last week-end Vera has not improved her jumps at all. They are very graceful, good looking pair, but very shaky in hard elements. I think this year Ilyushechkina/Maisuradze look stronger and may take a place in the national team.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I find this throw lutz very odd. They have been together for so long and aren't young anymore. Suddenly, adding a new throw? They aren't that consistent with throws to begin with. Their pcs are good enough to be in contention for the gold. They just have to be clean.

Not young anymore? 28 :confused: 25 :laugh:

You find it odd, because it's new and they just starting do it a few weeks ago. Would you rather they rest on their laurels like most other teams? It's not their style, never has been. Besides Aliona stumbled out of her thow at the Europeans last year so does that mean they shouldn't try doing a quad flip instead of a triple....because according to Ingo, they are trying it.

Yuko had MAJOR surgery (I know I had it too) and Sasha had been plagued with injuries as well. He went to Germany for a few weeks have his groin worked on and when he came back he sprained his ankle, there went another 3 weeks. Not to mention a wedding. So 7 weeks is a long time not to train in what is supposed to be your high training time. The look really 'green' and hesitant but not too bad. They didn't skate their long program at the test skate because it is not ready. The GP series would have been easy medals for them and I'm sorry they will miss it, but heath comes first.

I don't have anything good to say about V/T yet, except the split twists.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
K/S can make top 5 easily with multiple errors, but there isn't another Russian pair that can make top 8. B/L aren't good enough just yet.

I don't like the throw lutz, the toe pick throw jumps somehow do not flow well in any pair programs. It's admirable that they're going for something harder, but it is really unnecessary. They don't need to learn a whole new throw jump, especially after both have all kind of injuries. Why not stick to something they've mastered.

Binthere

On the Ice
I agree with FlattFan. I think with the exception of the toe (maybe) I much prefer to see the "edge" throw jumps (axel, loop, salchow). The entrance for the flip and lutz throws always seems so much slower (less flow) and purely gymnastic rather than musical. There have been some exceptions so far of course but really, nothing beats a Shen and Zhao throw loop or salchow IMO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
this is a very bad program for K&S. it is literally all about the tricks and with really no attempt at good choreography. The major crescendo occurs in mid spin and afterward instead of timed with a lift or a throw. they will have to nail everything to get decent scores. I predict they change the program before Nationals.

mousepotato

On the Ice
this is a very bad program for K&S. it is literally all about the tricks and with really no attempt at good choreography. The major crescendo occurs in mid spin and afterward instead of timed with a lift or a throw. they will have to nail everything to get decent scores. I predict they change the program before Nationals.

No way they would work on a program all summer only to change it less than 12 weeks before Nationals without it even being seen at a competition. It needs tweaking in some areas and their programs are always works in progress, but their first competition isn't for 8 weeks.