kind of sad article about Jeremy and Rachael | Golden Skate

kind of sad article about Jeremy and Rachael

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Jeremy summed it up - he needs to do better at the international level. I'll also add that male figure skaters generally don't have as many endorsement opportunities.

While Rachael is a good skater, I don't think she capture audiences. For casual viewers, Mirai was the One that sparked excitement.

It's not enough to be National champion anymore IMO. With the decline of figure skating viewership, endorsements will be harder to find unless the skater has huge charisma/personality and is at least considered a major challenger for a World title.

I think a lot of athletes think that commercial endorsements automatically follow success on the playing field. Not necessarily. A company is looking for someone who can sell their product, not necessarily for someone who can throw a football or do a double Axel.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think Jeremy summed it up - he needs to do better at the international level. I'll also add that male figure skaters generally don't have as many endorsement opportunities.

While Rachael is a good skater, I don't think she capture audiences. For casual viewers, Mirai was the One that sparked excitement.

It's not enough to be National champion anymore IMO. With the decline of figure skating viewership, endorsements will be harder to find unless the skater has huge charisma/personality and is at least considered a major challenger for a World title.

I agree. A Natl champion who finishes 9th or lower at Worlds is not going to generate interest from advertisers.

BTW, after seeing this I did buy a Panasonic TV when I had planned on getting either a Sony or Samsung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILvkV7WqxXU

On the other hand, isn't Rachael the "Potato Queen" of Colorado? I still eat potatos - but not sure if that is the same thing. :)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I recently came across that article. Didn't even realize there was a thread on it. Jeremy was the one who made the most sense in the whole story.

I don't know. Kimmy Meissner won the world championship, but never got much traction as a commercial pitch-woman. Michael Weiss, Tim Goebel, Todd Eldredge, they all did well, but no cigar. I think Sasha Cohen had greater commercial exposure before she won the Olympic silver medal than after.

I haven't seen any ads featuring Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek -- or for that matter, Joe Mauer (who? American League baseball MVP).

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't know. Kimmy Meissner won the world championship, but never got much traction as a commercial pitch-woman. Michael Weiss, Tim Goebel, Todd Eldredge, they all did well, but no cigar. I think Sasha Cohen had greater commercial exposure before she won the Olympic silver medal than after.

I haven't seen any ads featuring Olympic gold medalist Evan Lysacek -- or for that matter, Joe Mauer (who? American League baseball MVP).

Well, Jeremy's line of reasoning still made more sense than anyone else's in that story. I don't think he meant it literally, like, oh, if I had just medaled worlds or the Olympics the dought would have started pouring in. I took the gist of his point to mean you have to gain traction and a following to get people to invest in you. A one-time national champ? I don't think so. I doubt Mirai or Alissa started raking it in after their nationals victories either. It seems more than obvious to me and I don't get why it's so suprising to everyone talking in that article except for Jeremy.

janetfan

Match Penalty

Times change - and although Michelle never did many commercials she did benefit from many endorsements. Mirai got a nice endorsement deal with Panasonic - not after winning Natls but after finishing second.

Evan is not making money as a pitchman but he is doing very well after winning the OGM.