USOC / NBC Praise for Evan Lysacek | Page 7 | Golden Skate

USOC / NBC Praise for Evan Lysacek

Layfan

Record Breaker
Okay, no it wasn't Dorothy. Dorothy was perfect. Then it's got to be Peggy Flemming.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Oh for pete's sake. It was Peggy. She absolutely crushed the other contenders in the school figures and won the freeskate by a mile as well - even though she fell once. Her victory was one of the biggest in Olympic history, The silver medalist did not fall ,,,,,

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh for pete's sakke. It was Peggy. She absolutely crushed the other contenders in the school figures and won the freeskate by a mile as well - even though she fell once. She was first on all of the ordinals after the figures and the freeskate, Her victory was one of the biggest in Olympic history, The silver medalist did not fall because she hardly jumped,,,,,

Yeah, and wasn't Peggy Flemming sort of a jumping bean for her era? Plus she won figures? So I'm not surprised. Sounds like she was WAY ahead of her rivals. Sounds like what the women's competition would have been like this year if Mao wasn't around and it was Kim Yuna vs everyone else... Anyway. I don't think the men's figure skating this year was the way, although I do think there is a good case to be made that Takahashi should have been ahead of Evan going into the free.

I typed mine in before I saw your response. But I don't feel clever or anything. I just remember that she won on the strength of school figures, which always surprises people who think of her as primarily a graceful free skater.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I typed mine in before I saw your response. But I don't feel clever or anything. I just remember that she won on the strength of school figures, which always surprises people who think of her as primarily a graceful free skater.

Yes, though Janetfan points out, she also creamed everyone in the FS. Sounds like she was the Yuna Kim of her era. :cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, though Janetfan points out, she also creamed everyone in the FS. Sounds like she was the Yuna Kim of her era. :cool:

Yuna was considered the biggest Olympic favorite since Peggy Fleming. And Peggy did not have a "Mao" or a close competitor.

So imagine Yuna at Vancouver without Mao, and maybe even without Joannie or Mirai.

Her huge victory margin would have been even more overwhelming.

BTW, Yuna could have fallen once in Vancouver and still won

Not only did Peggy win the gold that year, she was the revival of the American skating program. After multiple American victories in the late forties and through the fifties into 1960, the whole "next generation" had been wiped out in the 1961 plane crash. Most of the best coaches were killed, too. A very young American, Scott Allan, won the bronze in 1964 (I'd love to know more about that), but Peggy was the first American champion in Worlds or Olympics since 1960. Not only that, she was the only Olympic gold medalist of 1968, wasn't she? Not a single other gold medal was brought home by an American Olympian from the Winter Games. Can you imagine the impact she must have had on American culture after that.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuna was considered the biggest Olympic favorite since Peggy Fleming. And Peggy did not have a "Mao" or a close competitor.

So imagine Yuna at Vancouver without Mao, and maybe even without Joannie or Mirai.

Her huge victory margin would have been even more overwhelming.

BTW, Yuna could have fallen once in Vancouver and still won

I was actually going to concede that point in an earlier post but I decided against it because I didn't want to start another controversy or get avalanched by the Yuna-is-over-scored types ... :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
She could have fallen twice or maybe even three times and still won, as long as the falls weren't on combination jumps.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Peggy Fleming fell? Olympic LP, green dress?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw9XZAA72lw

She got up so quick I missed it! (She did pop a single Axel and double-foot two jumps near the end of the program, though.)

OMG, thanks so much for this wonderful link! *thumbs up* I haven't watched Peggy's performance in literally ages, therefore it was like watching it all over again, brand new. The magic is still there. What a delight, Sonja would have been proud!

Peggy was like a fairy on the ice, not just a ballerina, and those jumps, especially the 2R/2R combination was divine, pure butter, ahhhh. I can't believe I had forgotten. Once again, thanks for the link. :) Btw, I don't remember a fall nor did I see one????

As regards the topic of this thread, why oh why can't people just let people like whomever!?! We're all different, therefore it follows we're all going to like different things, which is the beauty of humankind. Fights/jealousies/ignorance happens when an individual or group of people want to force another individual or group of people to like what they like, instead of letting them be.

I know for me personally I don't like it when somebody else tries to speak for me (e.g. whom I am a fan of in skating or what type of skating I enjoy). Speak for yourself, don't invade my personal private territory, and I will do likewise. That's called respecting another's pov. :)

Regards Evan, he did a fine job, and he has always conducted himself with class both on the ice & off, and deserves every accolade afforded him. There is no need to elevate your skater (e.g. Evan) by putting down another skater. Yet this happens again & again & again. I try to look the other way, and most of the time manage to do so, but every now & again it just gets to me.

To tell the truth I think Olympic Champions were destined to be such, therefore I personally have no problem with any of the results over the decades. It was meant to be, will live forever in the history books, as it should be...

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry, back to Peggy, I just love her Olympic LP performance, especially 4 seconds into it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw9XZAA72lw) wherein she does an all-time favorite move of mine in skating...a little half jump/piroutte in the air...Mao does the same move at 2:42 seconds into her SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnvdUdpaZhQ).

Just a split second of a fairly simple move can bring me to chills/delight/joy/rapture! Seriously, that's what it does to me, lol. :D

Back on topic ~ GOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
So many girls would kill to have Peggy's 2A.

Mao is Peggy's favorite skater, from her commentaries. She was so impressed by everything Mao does.

I love that little move, too.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the link! Hamill and Fleming both were my big favourites, but I did not remember Fleming having a fall...

Evan sure deserved the praise coming from USOC/NBC!!! Plushenko showed very bad sportmanship after short programme and freeskate. Also Weir showed good sportmanship at the Olympics, but spoiled that impression with his whining afterwards.

Last edited: