What will the 2010/2011 Season bring us from the MEN | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What will the 2010/2011 Season bring us from the MEN

Layfan

Record Breaker
Here is my prediction
US Nationals
1. Jeremy Abbott
2. Adam Rippon
3. Johnny Weir, who will make a surprise comeback when he realizes without skating he's not famous enough for a reality show

There's an outside chance Evan will realize without skating he's not famous enough, either, but I think there's only about a 25% chance of that. If he does return, push everyone down a notch.
Worlds.
6th--Adam Rippon. Good result for the youngster!
5th--Johnny Weir. A good result for the oldster, and also good enough to get him to perform a Lady Gaga routine in the exhibition, which is really why he's here.
4th--Jeremy Abbott. He won the long program, and it's really great he came up from his 16th place short program.
3rd--The Japanese boy who was cheated in the Olympics. Kozuka, I think his name is. He was like in 8th, but he should have been a few higher. It could be a number of other people (Verner, Dennis Ten, etc.), but I like him, so I'll go with Kozuka.
2nd--Takahashi. Some little mistake will keep him off the top of the podium.
1st--Patrick Chan. The transitions! The clean lines!The flow across the ice! He'd win by even more points if he didn't fall those times. Someone get Scott Hamilton a tranquilizer!

If Evan or Evgeni show up, put them in 2nd and push everyone else down.

You're predictions are fun :biggrin:

Definitely Rippon or Abbot for the national title. If Abbot makes no mistakes it will be him for sure, especially if he does a quad.

I see Evan making a suprise show at nationals more than Johnny but I really don't expect either of them to show. Even though Evan says he doesn't think he's peaked, I sort of think he has. Johnny, too. I'd leave on a high note if I were Evan but we'll see.

I wonder what everyone thinks about Brandon Mroz? He had such a tough year last year after making that splash with the silver medal at 2009 nationals. Are people writing him off? I haven't heard anything about him for AGES.

I can't bet on Chan for the world gold. He also makes to many little mistakes. However, he's a contender. I hope both he and Takahashi are on the podium in any case.

You forgot Joubert. (Or did you?) I would not bet against him. He seems to be rejuvenating himself and working hard. We'll see how he does at the GP but I would think he's a factor for gold.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Eh, you can't bet on anyone for the world gold. Poodlepal's sarcastic "he'd win by even more points if he didn't fall those times" is actually pretty accurate. Chan still gets good scores in competitions where he makes errors. That said, I the new rules really work against him moreso than any other male skater out there.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Rippon was 6th this year. Would Rippon coming in 6th again next year really be good?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think he will go to Nationals (Evan) , he said he is fully packed until May 2011 and will then see then how training goes for him for next season, he said that in GSA live. And I saw him skating live finally so I have my very own opinion. They also had a join fun act with him and Plu in the opening act and at the end they got out and bowed together , all arena liked that. We have a gazillion photos, i think i ll post some, it was a cool show!

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Eh, you can't bet on anyone for the world gold. Poodlepal's sarcastic "he'd win by even more points if he didn't fall those times" is actually pretty accurate. Chan still gets good scores in competitions where he makes errors. That said, I the new rules really work against him moreso than any other male skater out there.

Yes, I agree. The men's field will be deep even without Evan and the Plush. (Or actually, is there a chance Plushenko will be there?)

I would expect Takahashi and Chan to be on the podium 1-2 or chan-takahashi but there are a whole bunch of men who could surprise.

They also had a join fun act with him and Plu in the opening act and at the end they got out and bowed together , all arena liked that. We have a gazillion photos, i think i ll post some, it was a cool show!

Ha! That is great, Seniorita.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Rippon was 6th this year. Would Rippon coming in 6th again next year really be good?

It depends how the field skates. If Dai, Jeremy and Patrick skate well, not to mention Joubert and Kouzuka, Rippon could skate well himself and still finish 6th. Then there is the possibilty of Brezina skating well and even Tomas. What about Oda?

I probably left somebody out and also doubt if all the skaters I mentioned will show their best at Worlds.
I think Rippon's goal is to try and keep turning in steady performances and with that his pcs and reputation will continue to rise.

He is probably a year a way from putting quads into his programs but what is the rush? Sochi is his goal and that is a long way off.

I think Adam is progressing nicely and is a very stylish young skater. I am actually more curious to see if Brandon Mroz can have a good season. He does have quads but putting it mildly was very inconsistent last season.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

I think that 6th place in a skater´s first Worlds competition is a good achievement. Ilia Kulik won his first Europeans, but was only 9th in his first Worlds competition.

As Rippon gathers reputation, he will get higher scores, I´d expect. If we think about the Worlds field in 2011, many of his possible nearest competitors are currently not exactly famous for their consistency: Takahashi, Abbott, Chan, Joubert, Kozuka, Brezina, Oda and Verner. GP will be exciting and one will know more after that, perhaps. And as in the case of Abbott: To succeed well in GP and Nationals is not an indication that a skater will succeed in Worlds... In 2010 he was though 5th, and I hope that he will succeed even better in 2011, but I will not be surprised if he doesn´t.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree. The men's field will be deep even without Evan and the Plush. (Or actually, is there a chance Plushenko will be there?)

I
would expect Takahashi and Chan to be on the podium 1-2 or chan-takahashi but there are a whole bunch of men who could surprise.

Frankly, no I don't think there really is a chance of Plushenko being there. And if he wants to be there, I don't know why the Russian Federation isn't bending over backwards to get him there (if they aren't, that is).

seniorita

Record Breaker
practice clips in the case of Oda are not saying much, last year there were many clips of him doing gorgeous 4-3-3 all season long . And with worlds in Tokyo, besides of course Dai, Kozuka and Hanyu (and the other one I forgot his name:eek::)will be chasing a spot.
But excided for the baby Oda, congrats:hb::clap:

janetfan

Match Penalty
This is true. Oda does these to warm up and possibly to entertain himself.

Of course this is true. On page 3 of the Mishin skating manual he recommends that all skaters warmup with a 4T+3T+3Lo.
Something about it being so easy and a good way to get loose and relaxed before practice on the more difficult jumps begins. ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
This is true. Oda does these to warm up and possibly to entertain himself.
I dont know if this is irony or not, but I meant that Oda is known to have a spectacular 4-3-3 since last season, with great rotation speed and soft landing, we saw him in practices videos but he didnt introduce even a solo quad in his actual competition programs, not even in Gpf where he needed it to win. I dont know if this is due to Morozov strategy or something else. Thats all.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I dont know if this is irony or not, but I meant that Oda is known to have a spectacular 4-3-3 since last season, with great rotation speed and soft landing, we saw him in practices videos but he didnt introduce even a solo quad in his actual competition programs, not even in Gpf where he needed it to win. I dont know if this is due to Morozov strategy or something else. Thats all.

I knew what you meant and thought I was reinforcing what you were saying. Oda didn't do one quad last season but there were tons of videos showing him doing them. I assumed it was something done in training but not for competition. I know Oda has a new coach now and maybe he will advise Oda to do quads in compeition. Oda was very backloaded last season. Maybe his new coach has a strategy of less backloading and more quads.

seniorita

Record Breaker
A ok, I just didnt get your answer and wanted to explain my post. I hope now Oda changed coach it will be a much better season for him, ( do you listen Javi and Florent?:disapp:)

herios

Medalist
I have a question about Takahiko Mura. Does anybody knows what happened to him last year? Has he been injured? He was 3rd in Japan in 2009 (in Takahashi's absence) and then he didn't get any GP assignments and has fallen to 10th, last year?

I am asking because he is now entered for NHK and I completely forgotten about him as well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Tomas Verner competed his SP at the Octoberfest competition in Barrie last night, he was clean but did 3f-3t as his combo. I don't know if this is permanent or if he will go for 4t-3t at his GP events, but I don't know what to think about this change. It will be interesting to see if he attempts a quad in the FS today. On the one hand, if doing 3f-3t means he can consistently do a clean SP, then it's probably a good move, but his 4t-3t is so good, that it sort of seems odd that he wouldn't do it in the SP just where he can do it so well. Or maybe his 4t got less consistent over the summer?

mot

On the Ice
I have a question about Takahiko Mura. Does anybody knows what happened to him last year? Has he been injured? He was 3rd in Japan in 2009 (in Takahashi's absence) and then he didn't get any GP assignments and has fallen to 10th, last year?

He was assigned to Skate America in 2009, but had to withdraw due to back injury. He skated a good short at Japan National later in the year, but could not follow it up with a long because of the bad flu he had then. Good news is that he's now back on track and nailed a beautiful quad at the Regional to win it just a few weeks ago.

I am pleased that his federation gave him a spot at NHK as a host pick - he really needs this chance to show the world what he is capable of. Machida's kinda done it at the Four Continents and Nebelhorn, and it's Mura's turn now.

(BTW his first name is Takahito - I know it's confusing, isn't it!)

herios

Medalist
He was assigned to Skate America in 2009, but had to withdraw due to back injury. He skated a good short at Japan National later in the year, but could not follow it up with a long because of the bad flu he had then. Good news is that he's now back on track and nailed a beautiful quad at the Regional to win it just a few weeks ago.

I am pleased that his federation gave him a spot at NHK as a host pick - he really needs this chance to show the world what he is capable of. Machida's kinda done it at the Four Continents and Nebelhorn, and it's Mura's turn now.

(BTW his first name is Takahito - I know it's confusing, isn't it!)

Thank you very much for the quick reply, and sorry for the boo-boo...I took a quicj glance to his name and I thought he shares the same first name with Taka Kozuka, should have read it more craefully...don't worry, we will need to learn these names in the years to come!

It makes now sense he has this blip in his last year's results, hopefully he will stay injury free and develop further.
I am watching very closely with what happens next in men's skating, and I have a feeling the japanese guys will follow suit and develop as their ladies were in the last decade.
Last year the headline was about Evan and Plushy at the Olympics, but the other story should be Dai's historic year for the japanese male skating (first Olympic medal and first world title). That is a milestone, and now, behind him is a deep line-up of talents who will break-through sooner rather than later.
Oda is actually overdue, but Kozuka, Hanyu, Machida and Mura could push each other and the depth and fierce competition for the world team will benefit all of them and bring their level up even higher.
I think if their nerves will hold up, we could see two japanese guys on the world podium, at worlds, as we witnessed 4 years by Ando and Asada.