Votes: 19 5.3%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 97 27.1%
  • YOUR suggestions?

Votes: 78 21.8%

• Total voters

Becca84

Rinkside
I have to say the skater w/ the most charisma is Scott Hamilton, so I had to w/ my own... But Alexei & Kurt are also very charismatic. & I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kristi Yamaguchi - I think she too has plenty of charisma also...

mariana

On the Ice
windspirit said:
Staviyski is not Bulgarian. He's Russian, actually. :D

Well, he's Russian because he was born there, and Bulgarian because he got the nationality in order to compete representing that country, and in a few years he'll be married to a bulgarian women to (Albena)He's really charismatic, and hot to. :love: :love: :love:

lil lion 816

Rinkside
I'm coming in a bit late. :D

I voted "your suggestions" :

I'm going to bring up a couple of "lesser knowns" who are personal faves of mine, and are crowd pleasers par excellence - Doug Mattis and Shep Clark.

Doug was just *born* to perform, I believe, and so for that matter was Shep. :)

Labogh

Rinkside
My own suggestion is Evegeny Plushenko. He has grown during the years and developed his own style, he is def the most charismatic skater in Europe, at least in my opinion.

My other favorite is Elvis Stojko. He's a natural.

When it comes to female skaters, Michelle and Sasha both get my votes.

libra 1

Rinkside
All that Jazz said:
I realize this section is desperately in need for a new poll, although I'm almost sure this one is neither really new (somehow I sense something like this has been posted here before) nor especially original. Here's MY "charisma"-selection, but all of your suggestions are welcome! :)

It is totally beyond me on what basis you made your "charisma" selection. Where is one of the most charismatic skaters of our time - Evgeni Plushenko? I presume you know there is such a skater.
And what happened to Michelle Kwan in your selection?

Libra - speechless astounded

All that Jazz

Rinkside
libra 1 said:
It is totally beyond me on what basis you made your "charisma" selection. Where is one of the most charismatic skaters of our time - Evgeni Plushenko? I presume you know there is such a skater.
And what happened to Michelle Kwan in your selection?

Libra - speechless astounded

Dear Libra!

Shame on me I didn't include Evgeny in my selection, of course he has a certain extend of charisma. :eek: Just wish you'd be a little more realistic and modest when it comes to your idol. Don't you know that other Russian guy already is the BEST!!! and most charismatic skater of ALL times? ;)

As for Michelle: I like her, she's a great skater and a nice girl, but I don't find her charismatic at all. I know it's my fault, that's why I created the "Your suggestions" category, particulary for you. :)

With love - Jazz
(Still speechless?)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I voted for other, and would choose skaters like Candeloro and Ilia Kulik. From the list it would be Hamilton and Browning. Also Plushenko has plenty of charisma.

To me charisma is something which I´m able to feel coming out of the skater´s inside and that is totally different from an athletic performance that is cleverly choreographed to give a disillusion and of a skater having charisma.

Last edited:

libra 1

Rinkside
All that Jazz said:
Dear Libra!

Shame on me I didn't include Evgeny in my selection, of course he has a certain extend of charisma. :eek: Just wish you'd be a little more realistic and modest when it comes to your idol. Don't you know that other Russian guy already is the BEST!!! and most charismatic skater of ALL times? ;)

To All that Jazz:
When you speak about other Rusian guy - the best and most charismatic skater - do you mean Alexei Urmanov?

Libra, from Russia, with love

astarz41

Rinkside
Well for right now it's Kwan and Plushenko. They are the skaters that make the whole arena sit up and take notice. I think Alexei had it but now he kinda lost some of it... :sheesh:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
IMO charisma is actually something that Yagudin definitely hasn't lost and that allows him to skate and get standing ovations from the audiences no matter what the program is. The injury may affect the quality of his programs and his skating, but when you skate to a program like the rock one he used in SOI last year and it gets standing ovations, charisma is sure one of the factors playing.

I too think Plushenko was missing on the poll, but not Michelle. One of the top skaters of the last decade and loved by millions? Absolutely. Charismatic? No LOL But Alexei Urmanov and charismatic in the same sentence? Urmanov was a fantastic (and gorgeous lol) skater for sure but charisma is probably the last word that would define him!

Libra, let me enlighten you if you allow me :D When All that Jazz referred to the best Russian skater and the most charismatic, she was obviously, completely, noooooo question, without a single doubt! talking about Yagudin :D I mean who could she be talking about??? Four time World champion (the first Russian man to win Worlds in fact), 3 time european champion, Olympic Gold medallist (with all first place ordinals in both parts of the competition), the man with most 6.0 ever given in Olympic Games, received wonderfully by audiences all over the world, whether he is skating in Japan, Canada, USA, Europe... But it's more than obvious All that Jazz was talking about Yagudin :D (I believe you know him? He is the skater that together with Plushenko played one of the best rivalries in men's skating ever and that won the first Olympic Games Plushenko participated, where he finished second? That's the Yagudin I'm talking about :D)

astarz41

Rinkside
You know I think you're right about Yags definetly having charisma. I was thinking of something else. I guess charisma is what he *has* but "quality" is what's missing now. I don't know, but ever since SOI Alexei doesn't hold my attention as much anymore. :\

I disagree though about Michelle. I'm not a kwanatic my any means, I'm not even that crazy about her skating, but Michelle as a person out there on the ice always holds my attention and makes me "believe" in what she's doing. Maybe it comes across to some people but not to others? :\ :)

libra 1

Rinkside
RIskatingfan said:
IMO charisma is actually something that Yagudin definitely hasn't lost and that allows him to skate and get standing ovations from the audiences no matter what the program is. The injury may affect the quality of his programs and his skating, but when you skate to a program like the rock one he used in SOI last year and it gets standing ovations, charisma is sure one of the factors playing.

I too think Plushenko was missing on the poll, but not Michelle. One of the top skaters of the last decade and loved by millions? Absolutely. Charismatic? No LOL But Alexei Urmanov and charismatic in the same sentence? Urmanov was a fantastic (and gorgeous lol) skater for sure but charisma is probably the last word that would define him!

Libra, let me enlighten you if you allow me :D When All that Jazz referred to the best Russian skater and the most charismatic, she was obviously, completely, noooooo question, without a single doubt! talking about Yagudin :D I mean who could she be talking about??? Four time World champion (the first Russian man to win Worlds in fact), 3 time european champion, Olympic Gold medallist (with all first place ordinals in both parts of the competition), the man with most 6.0 ever given in Olympic Games, received wonderfully by audiences all over the world, whether he is skating in Japan, Canada, USA, Europe... But it's more than obvious All that Jazz was talking about Yagudin :D (I believe you know him? He is the skater that together with Plushenko played one of the best rivalries in men's skating ever and that won the first Olympic Games Plushenko participated, where he finished second? That's the Yagudin I'm talking about :D)

Dear RIskatingfan,
thank you for enlightening me on what All that Jazz had in mind.
I think you are inconsistent in looking for the most charismatic skater. If the number of titles is not what charisma is based on - you illustrated it with the Kwan case - then why enumerate Yag's titles ?
To prove Plushy's charisma I would not use such arguments as titles or Guinness Book of records or the biggest in the world fan base - his over 50 websites . If we agree that charisma is a special winning charm , my dear RIskatingfan, then it's the triumph of a personality and the winning presence which count . In Plushy's case they are filling the arena - Plushy could have the crowds at his performances in the palm of his hand. And his charisma, his absolute winning charm is the reason why the schedules at the Ex -s are broken so often lately - he comes last on the ice because to perform after Plushy - the organizers understand it's next to impossible......

Libra - from Russia, with love

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Dear Libra, you're very welcome :D Allow me now to make another comment in general about your posts on this thread... you see, when we're talking about charisma, as in many things in skating, we're talking about something rather subjective. So trying "to prove" charisma comes off as a little, let's say, pointless? It's something that can't be proved LOL Either you get it (the skater and their charisma), either you don't. Very simple. If you want to talk about charisma and who is more charismatic, I believe you have to realize that it is nothing but matters of opinion. If you happen to want to use facts to back your opinion, fine use facts. But FACTS, not not erm... "facts" LOL Plushenko being a three time World champion is a very true and real fact. Plushenko having the "biggest in the world fan base" is most likely not a fact LOL

Instead of trying to "prove" (something that can't be proved) and make all of us accept as fact that one skater is the most charismatic skater because you think so, I think it would make much more sense to come out and say you don't agree with the results of the poll and that who you believe to be the most charismatic skater is Plushenko. There, woudn't it be more simple and with the same result? :D

Toffee

Rinkside
Alexei Yagudin has so much charisma it's almost illegal :laugh: Kurt Browning is very charismatic as well.

P.S. RIskatingfan, great posts!

shine

Record Breaker
Stephane Lambiel :D Have we seen another skater skating with so much life? Not pretentious emotions or the so called passion--but life? And when he smiles that smile, how could anyone possibly hate this guy? He doesn't even try! If that is not charisma--well, I don't know what is!:love:

Last edited: