Votes: 19 5.3%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 97 27.1%
  • YOUR suggestions?

Votes: 78 21.8%

• Total voters

All that Jazz

Rinkside
I realize this section is desperately in need for a new poll, although I'm almost sure this one is neither really new (somehow I sense something like this has been posted here before) nor especially original. Here's MY "charisma"-selection, but all of your suggestions are welcome! :)

Last edited:
All that jazz - Well, at least we're not grabbing at the "best", but the "most" is close.

Charisma is really a tough word to define. It's kind of 'special' but in what way is it 'special'? For me it has more theological meaning than non sectarian worldliness.

However, if we think of it as being a special winning charm (which I think it the popular version), then how well do we know the listed skaters other than their skating skills and a few interviews? What is it about those listed that makes them so charismatic?

And, further, if we're voting for our favorites? Why the omission of MK?:laugh:

Joe

Germanice

On the Ice
Hey!!! The guys are in the lead by lightyears!
No real "charismatic" girls out there? :confused:

Anke

Last edited:

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
All that jazz - Well, at least we're not grabbing at the "best", but the "most" is close.

Charisma is really a tough word to define. It's kind of 'special' but in what way is it 'special'? For me it has more theological meaning than non sectarian worldliness.

However, if we think of it as being a special winning charm (which I think it the popular version), then how well do we know the listed skaters other than their skating skills and a few interviews? What is it about those listed that makes them so charismatic?

And, further, if we're voting for our favorites? Why the omission of MK?:laugh:

Joe
Uhhmmm, charisma, dunno. A natural given presence? A certain "Wow"-factor? Real, interesting personality? Sex appeal, more or less? Hard to describe. Michelle? She may have a lot of qualities, but IMO charisma is not one of them. Please, don't kill me! ;)

Ok All That Jazz. The omission of MK is ok. She is special and should not be listed with a group of paeons.:laugh:

Joe

All that Jazz

Rinkside
Sorry, since English is not my native language, I have to ask to get the joke: What is a "paeon"? Hopefully nothing dirty! :laugh:

Last edited:
All that Jazz - Close:laugh: but not quite. Attention English majors: would 'low class person' be the same as a paeon?

Joe

Well, I'm not an English major, but I'll give it a shot.

"Paeon" is a term in poetry for a metric foot containing one long and three short syllables (huckleberry, huckleberry, huckleberry pie.)

Not to be confused with "paean" -- a song of praise. "I will now offer a paean to Michelle's charisma."

But here Joe is giving the Latinized spelling of the Spanish-derived word "peon," a lowly field hand or day laborer.

According to my research :laugh: this spelling in middle English was dropped in about the 10th or 11th centuries. But Joe, being a Druid (not to be confused with a pagan :laugh: naturally uses the archaic (oops, I mean archaeic) form. :)

Mathman;)

rain

Record Breaker
It was a tough choice - many of the skaters listed all have tons of charisma. I had to go with Kurt Browning though. For sheer ability to reach out into the audience and perform I don't think there's anyone better.

Mathman - The folks at Stonhenge were never good spellers, and Granny knows that.:laugh:

I always thought the paeon was a hymn of praise but I was told, and had no reason to disbelieve that it is exactly how it sounds phonetically:eek:

So in using it, I put a hymn of praised to MK and those others listed were well, you know.:)

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Of course, my vote is with Kurt. The chemistry he has with a skating audience is amazing. He "sets the place on fire."

I also want to cast my vote for Jeff B., he is up and coming, but I have a feeling he too has that electricity that connects with the audience. He got a standing ovation at Skate Canada.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning, hands down... he can be a clown, a stud, or just a very serious and professional kinda dude... Sonia's a lucky lady...

(and he's not in the same league as Michelle... he's 20,000 leagues above her... at least ;))

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I voted for "other selection".........Paul, Paul, Paul.....need I say more? 42

Michelle Kwan has the greatest presence on the ice. Have you ever been to a practice session when Michelle is competing? Even when she's just skating around the rink doing nothing, all eyes are on her. It's like she is the only skater out there -- like she's the only skater in the world.

Mathman

jozmen01

Rinkside
Michelle Kwan is definitely the most charismatic skater on ice today. Had to vote in other, as she was not listed. Hmmm, wonder why???

Germanice

On the Ice
jozmen01 said:
Michelle Kwan is definitely the most charismatic skater on ice today. Had to vote in other, as she was not listed. Hmmm, wonder why???
A non-US-poster probably? :laugh:

Anke