Bradley Lord article | Golden Skate

Bradley Lord article

icebarre

Spectator
Sorry, not sure of my ability to cut and paste URL...however...if you google Bradley Lord, you'll find it!

There is an article from this week's Swampscott Reporter about Bradley Lord (interviews his brother). Nice memories of a truly great skater!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I remember Lord's name, though I don't know anything about his skating. The ladies' champion, Laurence Owen, and the ladies' half of the pairs team, Maribel Owen, were skating royalty, daughters of multiple champ Maribel Vinson Owen, and moreover, Laurence was obviously a gifted skater. So her imprint was understandably stronger on skating history, especially since all three of the Owens died on the crash. That family's tragedy tends to overshadow the others, though it shouldn't. I'm glad to have the chance to pay attention to Bradley Lord.

Edit: I just read the interview with Bradley's brother. It's very moving. Amazing to realize that half a century has passed since the plane crash.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I never saw Bradley Lord's skating until now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXMBVTQHC0o

Wow, I am sincere when I say his skating is phenomenal ~ love the lightning fast speed he has across the ice, the exquisite basics (reminiscent of Yuka Sato or vice-versa as the case may be), the lilting quality he has in his delicious straightline footwork, and the reverse spread eagles down the ice was simply magnificent! Not to mention the double walleys at the beginning into that joyous Mazurka jump! :)

After watching Bradley & Peggy's skating the past day, I have to honestly say that I enjoy the skating of the past moreso than the present. One can really see how much the influence of figures played in the actual *skating*. Their single axels with the delayed height, power, spring, distance covered across the ice, and splendid landings are more enjoyable to watch than triples, as one can actually see everything with the naked eye, kinda like slow motion, which adds that extra special touch imho.

I'm hoping that with Mao Asada working with Mr. Sato (Yuka's father), whom has had coaching experience for over 40+ years, and has also been a 10-time Japanese National Champion, he can teach her to skate like this.

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. lol, I didn't recognize Dick at all. I really enjoyed how gallant he was when the commentator tried to focus on Dick & his past successes, but instead Dick succinctly brought it back around to Bradley Lord and the *present*. :) Bravo, Dick, Bravo! *clapping*