All that Skate | Golden Skate

All that Skate

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On a balmy autumn evening, thousands of skating fans filled the Staples Center in Los Angeles to take part in the North American premiere of 2010 All That Skate LA. The show, presented by Olympic Champion Yuna Kim's management agency AT Sports, gathered an impressive roster of figure skating royalty, and brought them together for a spectacle unlike any other skating show to date.
More

Thanks for the great article, JR and GS8. :rock: What a show! I wonder if they will have a chance to take it on the road.

What a wonderful article! It gave so much detail that I felt I had seen the show. Thanks so much for posting it.

brownfox

On the Ice
Thanks for the great article, JR and GS8. :rock: What a show! I wonder if they will have a chance to take it on the road.

I hope they do. Based from people who attended and ticket sales, it seemed the show was a success. Congrats to all from the skaters up to the organizers who made this show possible.

More opportunities to promote the sport the better.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Thanks for the article!! It looks like ATS LA will be held annually, and I can definitely see ATS NY happen in the near future.

Congrats to everyone for giving us such a wonderful show!

shine

Record Breaker
I thought All That Skate chose LA because it has a huge Korean population which guarantees ticket sales.

breeze

Rinkside
I thought All That Skate chose LA for its FIRST location out of S. Korea for that reason.
From what I heard, there were also many Chinese/Chinese Americans in the audience who came to see S&Z and Kwan, which makes LA an even better choice.
I certainly hope they expand the tour, but I'll be happy if it was big enough a success for them to organize the show at least in LA next year. I guess they will have a better idea about the potential audience attraction after it gets aired on NBC next week.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great article and Great photos from JanFunky (in the other thread) this skating fan could not ask for more except to actually be at the show.
Thank you GS and everyone else who posted articles, tweets, videos, photos and reports. You are the best!!!!!

I thought All That Skate chose LA for its FIRST location out of S. Korea for that reason.
From what I heard, there were also many Chinese/Chinese Americans in the audience who came to see S&Z and Kwan, which makes LA an even better choice.
I certainly hope they expand the tour, but I'll be happy if it was big enough a success for them to organize the show at least in LA next year. I guess they will have a better idea about the potential audience attraction after it gets aired on NBC next week.

And they can always televise it each year as a special--maybe even in prime time, not just tuck it away in the sports part of a weekend afternoon, where it will be cut to pieces if a football or basketball game goes into overtime. The number of times I gnashed my teeth as the basketball game went into 45 minutes' worth of triple overtime in front of a "minor" skating program--like the World Championships.

janetfan

Match Penalty
And they can always televise it each year as a special--maybe even in prime time, not just tuck it away in the sports part of a weekend afternoon, where it will be cut to pieces if a football or basketball game goes into overtime. The number of times I gnashed my teeth as the basketball game went into 45 minutes' worth of triple overtime in front of a "minor" skating program--like the World Championships.

Actually it makes perfect sense for NBC to televise the show on Sunday afternoon. Since CBS and Fox will be showing NFL footbal and ABC probably some other sport, NBC will have a potential audience for folks who don't like football or Nascar, golf, etc.

Isn't NBC also going to broadcast GP coverage this Fall on Sunday afternoons? NBC can't beat the CBS and Fox football programimg but offering skating does give them a decent alternative.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't see a problem with Sunday afternoon either. The days where even minor comps were shown in prime time are far gone.

The one thing I do hope is that ATS decides to take it to other parts of the country (how about an east coast show?) so we all get a chance to check it out if we wish.

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the detailed article - it's sort of amazing to me that a show would receive such attention, but then, look at that cast, wow! I can't wait to see it (or parts of it) on tv.

I just had a great idea. They could bring back show skating and pro competitions at the same time. SOI against All That.

"And now, in the schmaltzy duet category, it's Alissa and Sasha against Yu-na and Michelle..." :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually that would be kinda cool, but there'd have to be no overlap between casts. AFAIK Cohen has skated in both shows...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Was wondering - has anybody seen any TV commercials for the broadcast of the ATS LA show?
Or read about it in their local paper?

I haven't seen a thing either on TV or in the newspapers.

Is this an NBC production with Scott, Sandra and the regular gang or will there be guest announcers hired by ATS?

Does anyone know if NBC is broadcasting this on their own nickel or did ATS buy the time?

That might explain the lack of advertising...........

parma

On the Ice
Was wondering - has anybody seen any TV commercials for the broadcast of the ATS LA show?
Or read about it in their local paper?

I haven't seen a thing either on TV or in the newspapers.

Is this an NBC production with Scott, Sandra and the regular gang or will there be guest announcers hired by ATS?

Does anyone know if NBC is broadcasting this on their own nickel or did ATS buy the time?

That might explain the lack of advertising...........

Wouldn't it be a really expensive thing to do? I mean, it would be like buying a one-and-half hour national broadcasting slot for an advertisement if ATS is buying the time.

It seems just more due to the usual lack of enthusiasm for figure skating shows in the US TV stations.