Final Flight
Does anyone know the artist of Kiira Korpi's Over the Rainbow SP

Also the artist of her Evita LP

David Wilson and Shae Lynn Bourne do not disclose much :disapp:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Her ISU bio has not been updated yet this season. When it is, it is typical for the performer to be listed.

ana

On the Ice
Over the Rainbow by Harold Arlen
Evita by Andrew Lloyd Webber

I also was wondering about the arrangements, because both are very sophisticated. The Evita especially brings out the dramatic and harmonic richness of Lloyd Webber's music. It begins with the funeral music for Evita Perón, with which the movie begins (I don't know how the stage version started, but I assume it was the same), and the most familiar tune, "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina," is woven in with the rest so that everything progresses and shapes a narrative. Really wonderful.

As for "Over the Rainbow," it's so hard to divorce that music from Judy Garland's interpretation (justifiably so! She's so splendid), but this string arrangement does the trick. Do you suppose one or both arrangements were commissioned for Korpi? It's certainly possible.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I also was wondering about the arrangements, because both are very sophisticated. The Evita especially brings out the dramatic and harmonic richness of Lloyd Webber's music. It begins with the funeral music for Evita Perón, with which the movie begins (I don't know how the stage version started, but I assume it was the same), and the most familiar tune, "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina," is woven in with the rest so that everything progresses and shapes a narrative. Really wonderful.

As for "Over the Rainbow," it's so hard to divorce that music from Judy Garland's interpretation (justifiably so! She's so splendid), but this string arrangement does the trick. Do you suppose one or both arrangements were commissioned for Korpi? It's certainly possible.

While it is possible - it is awfully expensive - especially for the "Evita" which if I recall is performed by an orchestra.

I don't know where either version of Kiira's music originated but I doubt if they were commissioned by her. If I had t pick one it would be "Over The Rainbow." But I also know that is one of the most recorded popular songs in history.

Most likely her team found existing recordings of both selections -did a few cuts - and voila!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her new programs are nice.

However, I could improve the choreography for the LP. Let's take a look at how Blades of Passion fixes programs. Here is what her current LP looks like as a reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvHe11Af35M

*The Triple Flip needs to go. She can never do this jump. I think she's landed it like once in her entire career?

*She should do her Layback spin after the first Triple Loop. It goes better with this section of the music and replaces The Triple Flip in this part of the program.

*After the Layback, she should build up speed for the next series of moves. At 2:08 I like the downward flourish she does with her arms, but she should hold that edge for a second while raising her arms upward after the flourish. It would be a great highlight for that big drum beat and the following part of the music.

*She should have a lot of speed right now, so her next element directly after that highlight of choreography will be a 2Axel-2Toe-2Loop combination. This combination would go great with the next big pulse of music at 2:13, as well as the progression of notes afterward. Kiira is currently doing her Spiral Sequence during these last parts of the music I've detailed and I believe that's a mistake because her Spiral isn't a WOW move. It isn't the most effective choreography for this skater.

*After the 2Axel-2Toe-2Loop combination she should keep the speed up, because I want to see a Triple Salchow at 2:25 to go with the BANG of the music.

*After the Salchow she should be doing some forward progressives while moving her arms in the most joyful of fashion. Girl, you just conquered Argentina with that Salchow. Be happy!

*Next comes the Spiral Sequence, starting at 2:37. Instead of just doing one position like the current choreography, I want a classic forward spiral position followed by a backwards spiral with her hand on her leg. This will differentiate the new section of music, the gentle guitar (harp?) plucks, from the old section and set us up for the next tempo change.

*At 2:50 she should do running steps to create a spark in the now upbeat tempo, followed by that nice wiggle movement she is currently doing at 2:50. Except the wiggle should be done while moving rather than stationary, because she needs to be building up speed right now for her next jump.

*That next jump is a 3Loop-2Loop combination. She'll go back around the rink so that she is facing the judges while going into the combination, at the opposing side.

*After doing the jump, the landing will feed directly into the start of a Circular Step sequence. This is instead of the Straightline Step sequence she is currently doing. Kiira isn't very good at fiery straightline step sequences (her straightline in the SP is fine because it's a softer melody); a Circular Step will look better for her and also transition better.

*The step sequence needs to finish at 3:25 so we can move on to the change in melody. I'd like her to end the steps with a backbend that she will hold while slowly gliding backwards in order to transition into this new gentle melody. She can then skate around doing simple strokes and a couple simple arm movements while softly building up speed to do a lovely spread eagle at 3:40.

*After the spread eagle she can take some strokes towards the end of the rink she had previously been traveling in and quickly loop back around to do a Double Axel in the middle of the rink at 3:51. The rest of the choreography from that point on to end the program would be the same as it is currently (the OMG dramatic pose and then combination spin).

just wondering

On the Ice
Now THAT ^^ is a critique I can LOVE. I don't even have to agree with every aspect to appreciate the fine work and consideration you gave. Do other programs, Blades!
JW

russell30

Final Flight
Yes I. am after the musicians in both cases. Thanks for eveyone's input. Harold Ahlen has go a piano version of 'Over the Rainbow' but it is not his version. Not sure on Evita, so many versions and so many are vocal - hopefully Kiira might have some input or someone might know? thanks though for your replies

Nadine

Record Breaker
I haven't checked out any of her programs yet, as she didn't impress me with her skating last year, however her countrywoman, Lepisto, did with her washboard back & extended body ala Sasha Cohen.

What Kiira Korpi did impress me with last year was her looks. I haven't seen a female singles skater that attractive since Nicole Bobek. However, Bobek also had an outstanding personality on ice to match her skating, which Kiira apparently doesn't. I still contend if Nicole had the work ethic of a Michelle Kwan or Mao Asada, she would have revolutionized skating in the same way that Sonja Henie did (& even Katarina Witt), regardless of country or nationality. The same way blonde bombshell Anna Kournikova did for tennis. I'm not saying it's right, but it's fact.

Here's hoping Kiira Korpi's looks bring in new fans to the sport I love. And on that note I plan on watching her two new programs on youtube (btw both sound perfect for her). :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
I totally agree with you, goldenpleasures. :) In fact the first time I saw Kiira I thought of Grace Kelley on skates. But its sex that sells, and Nicole Bobek's skating (& dare I say personality) had it in spades! :eek:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Well, as her countrymate I've followed Kiira's career almost 6 years. Before her we had skaters like Alisa Drei (ok skater but totally impersonal), Elina Kettunen (I liked her) and Susanna Pöykiö who had beautiful skating but no speed and sparkling. And when I saw Kiira first time in 2005 she really hit me. I've always liked her on ice but unfortunately she has had injuries and problems with getting all the jumps during these years. A few years ago they were on the same line with Laura Lepistö but nowadys Laura has passed Kiira. I like Laura also very much, she is very elegant and she has developed much but still I don't see the sparkling that Kiira has. Now when I saw Kiira's new program "Over the rainbow" I thought it's the best program of her I've ever seen. I hope she gets more interpretation and depth to her Evita program. But I really hope this year could finally be lucky for her.

Blades of passion: very impressive suggestions! You should send them straight to Kiira's couch or Kiira herself (or to David Wilson...) And this is not irony, I mean it :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
While I am happy to see Korpi going for the 3-3 combination, her technique needs to be improved. She jumps too low and cautiously. It shouldn't be an issue of technique either because she has done it very well in the past. Look at this 3-3 from 2006:

2006 SP

Beautiful. Compare that to the 3-3 she did at her most recent competition:

2010 SP

Not the best camerawork but you can see how much more tentatively she approaches it, which doesn't give her enough speed on the landing of the first jump to do a good Triple Toe off the landing. This is the first time of the season she has tried to commit and rotate both parts of the 3-3, but even all of the other times when she has just done a 3-2 (you'll get better camera angles in all of those performances) you can tell she has the same tentativeness going into the first jump.

She needs to attack it more. I also wonder why she is cramming this combination into the corner of the rink in both of her programs this year? She should be doing it like she did in 2006, across the center of the rink and more on a curve.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
What Kiira Korpi did impress me with last year was her looks. I haven't seen a female singles skater that attractive since Nicole Bobek. However, Bobek also had an outstanding personality on ice to match her skating, which Kiira apparently doesn't. I still contend if Nicole had the work ethic of a Michelle Kwan or Mao Asada, she would have revolutionized skating in the same way that Sonja Henie did (& even Katarina Witt), regardless of country or nationality. T:)

I cannot find a video of it, but Nicole herself skated to Evita once (1995-1996 LP)

Binthere

On the Ice
Does anyone know the "reason' for such depth amongst ladies coming from Finland? More so than say, France of late or other European countries. Is it coaching? Because it's not like there has been a 'big star' who has inspired a next generation, and there is not to my understanding any sort of huge financial incentive in place as there obviously is in Russia now heading into Sochi. Just curious.

I think Kiira is so lovely. Brings a touch of "Katarina Witt -like" glamour to the ladies field I think. :)

pohatta

On the Ice
One big reason is the growing popularity of ice hockey, which has brought more rinks and more opportunities. Ice hockey is big business in all major Finnish cities.