Zhangs out of Grand Prix | Golden Skate

Zhangs out of Grand Prix

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
It's official. Zhang/Zhang are scratched from the roster for Cup of China and TEB. Was kind of expecting this. Like him (kind of like a big loveable panda), never liked her. But still, yet another bites the dust due to injuries. Any idea who's likely to be replacement pair(s)?

cornell08

Final Flight
Lord, almost gave me a heart attack-- thought this was about Caroline at first. Well, I can't say this is too tragic, never having really been a fan of their skating....still though, too bad.

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm hoping that Sui/Han will be given a second GP, either in France or China. That would be awesome. Maybe they can qualify for the senior GP. ;)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wonder if this could be the first step to retirement. I just saw that they were twice number two at the world championships so maybe they will continue until they are world champions or Olympic champions 2014 or 2018!!!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
They have been on the decline for the past 2 years. They just can't get on the podium anymore, even with more impressive tricks than everyone else. Maybe it's time to call it a day.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
They could retire. I agree with FlattFan - they have been around awhile, without significant improvement and while their level of skating didn't really drop, they dropped in the eyes of the judges. How old are they anyway, exactly?

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Wow she is 25 and he is 26!

That's not old for a pair.

Last season they were also given choreography that just didn't suit their style - I actually liked their short program from 2008-09. Who's their choreographer for this season? Oh...it's Lori Nichol, who also did for Shen/Zhao. I guess they just don't have the flair and personality to pull it off.

But I think they will stay along with Pang/Tong until another Chinese Team can take over as China's #1 and/or #2 (Sui/Han anyone?)

gmyers

Record Breaker
I know that is not old for a pair. That is what the wow meant. It seems like they have been around a long time but can continue - on the example of Shen/Zhao- like 10 or more years LOL.

Lord, almost gave me a heart attack-- thought this was about Caroline at first. Well, I can't say this is too tragic, never having really been a fan of their skating....still though, too bad.

That was my first thought as well, Cornell--that "Zhang" meant Caroline. A relief that it's not our Ms. Zhang. I do feel bad for the Zhangs, though. But they're tenacious--remember their gutsy performance at the '06 Olympics after her fall? I assume they'll be back, and maybe this time off will give them the chance to rethink their approach.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
They started skating together in the 1990's when very young, and also got on the intl junior circuit young, so that's why it seems that now they should be about 40 years old. :laugh:

I wish somebody else could be found to skate with Hao (male) Zhang. Dan (female) Zhang especially just doesn't seem to want to skate anymore. The problem is the Chinese national training system won't likely allow this to happen. For same reason, I'm not optimistic on seeing improvements in things they lack (she lacks) most, like artistic impression and sense of music. Hopefully they can at least for later this season, avoid music choices and crummy choreography they can't carry off, and costuming disasters like last year's Mankini. :eek:

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
They are not old, at all for pairs. I knew they were young, in Turin, with that freak fall, when they made headline, i thought it was a known fact that they were harly 20+.If they are only injured, most likely they will continue, China has no world class level pair beside Pang / Tong at the moment, and thay are around 30 so most likely they won;t be around many years from now. Zhang's should be still young enough in 2014, by that time, they could evolve artistically, if they would work with the right choreographer.
S/Z and P/T were not artistical skaters in their early career either, but look how far trhey have come, once they put emphasis on the artistry. It's possible.

They are not old, at all for pairs. I knew they were young, in Turin, with that freak fall, when they made headline, i thought it was a known fact that they were harly 20+.If they are only injured, most likely they will continue, China has no world class level pair beside Pang / Tong at the moment, and thay are around 30 so most likely they won;t be around many years from now. Zhang's should be still young enough in 2014, by that time, they could evolve artistically, if they would work with the right choreographer.
S/Z and P/T were not artistical skaters in their early career either, but look how far trhey have come, once they put emphasis on the artistry. It's possible.

I was thinking about how Shen and Zhao evolved between 2002 and--golly, was it as soon as 2003? They were known at first for their huge throws and lifts primarily, especially compared to the supremely artistic and emotional Elena and Anton, and Sale and Pelletier with their wonderful Lori Nichol programs. By the time of Turandot, they projected a gorgeous chemistry. Of course, S/Z are a unique couple in so many ways. I don't know whether the Zhangs have that capacity in them. But S/Z certainly demonstrate that it is possible to grow and change.

feraina

Record Breaker
I'm hoping that Sui/Han will be given a second GP, either in France or China. That would be awesome. Maybe they can qualify for the senior GP. ;)

Z/Z's replacements have been announced:
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2135

Sui/Han will indeed compete in China! :rock: Kadlecova/Bidar (CZE) will replace Z/Z in France.

I'm a little worried about S/H competing so much this season. They already did two JGP's, and now they will have two GP's back-to-back. And then they will attend at least one of JGPF/GPF, then National's, then JW. That's a lot for one season! I hope they don't burn out by the time JW rolls around. I'm thinking about the two seasons in which Mao and Caroline at 14 did well on the GP series (Mao won GPF, Caroline got 4th), they both went back to JW, made mistakes, and were overtaken by others to win silver.

Binthere

On the Ice
Perhaps it will be this injury that will inform them of how they might "re-invent" themselves should they decide to return to compete. Their accomplishments are already quite full and complete. Will hope they return with strength in more ways than just a return to physical health.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Z/Z's replacements have been announced:
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=2135

Sui/Han will indeed compete in China! :rock: Kadlecova/Bidar (CZE) will replace Z/Z in France.

I'm a little worried about S/H competing so much this season. They already did two JGP's, and now they will have two GP's back-to-back. And then they will attend at least one of JGPF/GPF, then National's, then JW. That's a lot for one season! I hope they don't burn out by the time JW rolls around. I'm thinking about the two seasons in which Mao and Caroline at 14 did well on the GP series (Mao won GPF, Caroline got 4th), they both went back to JW, made mistakes, and were overtaken by others to win silver.

It is a real worry and not just for burnout issues. As a veteran of the trip, going from Asia to USA is far harder on the body than the other way around, and about 90% of my fellow travellers agree. It takes days to get back "in phase" when you head eastbound through that many time zones. If I were a coach, there's no way I would put a pairs team on Cup of China followed by Skate America, especially one that had already done two major competitions within the previous month, and were facing another a few weeks later. It's scarier for pairs than singles, as a miscue because if a skater's body or head is a bit off, could lead to a bad accident. I'm rather aghast, frankly. They are being pushed too hard.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It makes me think of Denis Ten last season. Going all over the place and competing at everything and the Jr Worlds comes in and splat.