Predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Predictions

sorcerer

Final Flight
.... But I also have a sneaking suspicion Alicia will take this one....
You mean Alissa? How are her jumps this season? That's only where she lacks consitency. She skates beautifully otherwise.

Phaneuf doesn't have outstanding music this year. I think Marchei will outskate Phaneuf.
And Meier hasn't shined to her maximum for quite a long time, so the judges probably won't give her generous marks because of presumption, even if she skates clean.

Czisny, Marchei, Phaneuf .... in any order, but hopefully this way.

Men: Rippon, Oda, Chan .... in any order, but hopefully this way. Oda will surely go for a quad in the free.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Forgot to do predictions for NHK but anyway:

Dance
1. C/P
2. K/K
3. C/Z (possibly P/I)

Pairs
1. I/M
2. D/R
3. D/W

Men
1. Chan
2. Oda
3. Rippon

Ladies
1. Phaneuf
2. Zawadzki
3. Czisny

berrycute

On the Ice
You mean Alissa? How are her jumps this season? That's only where she lacks consitency. She skates beautifully otherwise.

Phaneuf doesn't have outstanding music this year. I think Marchei will outskate Phaneuf.
And Meier hasn't shined to her maximum for quite a long time, so the judges probably won't give her generous marks because of presumption, even if she skates clean.

Czisny, Marchei, Phaneuf .... in any order, but hopefully this way.

Men: Rippon, Oda, Chan .... in any order, but hopefully this way. Oda will surely go for a quad in the free.

Yes sorry, I meant Alissa, dumb mistake on my part.

I haven't seen any vids of her training or run throughs, so who knows? The coaching change may help, Yuka was a solid jumper so perhaps she can pass that on to Alissa, but who knows...I am totally psyched to see her programs though, she has some beautiful music lined up (Korngold's violin romance is a favourite!)

I think Phaneuf already had a minor breakthrough at the 2010 worlds, she finished much higher than I was expecting, she could have even taken the bronze. I strongly suspect she'll take this one if Alissa can't pull it together. She'll probably also make the final. She's not a particular favourite of mine, and she seems to go for the same 80s drag-queen hair and makeup style Joannie favoured (totally worth a deduction in the program components score IMO!!), but she's getting better as a competitor, I think.

Marchei??? That would be a BIG upset to me. She's fun to watch (sassiest lady skater I've seen in a while), but her jumps are small and unreliable. Where did she finnish at Euros last year, 8th or something? And Euros 2010 had a field probably weaker than this one (I exaggerate, but only slightly...)

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Marchei??? That would be a BIG upset to me. She's fun to watch (sassiest lady skater I've seen in a while), but her jumps are small and unreliable. Where did she finnish at Euros last year, 8th or something? And Euros 2010 had a field probably weaker than this one (I exaggerate, but only slightly...)

I hope she will get on the podium. And for last year Euros, I wouldn't judge her upon this competition: she didn't compete in 2008/2009 season due to injury, then last autumn she did only minor competition, won national and Euros was her first major competition in a while and she had also the pressure of looking for the Italy's Olympic spot (not sure they'd ever given her, but fans and journalists were discussing a lot about this). This year she has already competed twice, and so I think she has also chance at SC, I find the ladies much unpredictable!

Figure88

On the Ice
His free skate score at the japan open was extremely close to the olympic gold and sivler medalist. He can totally win this HUGE! Even with Chan and Oda. Maybe Rippon was only so great and good at the Japan open because there was no short program but what if he is just as good in the short at skate canada than he was at the japan open in the free skate?! It should be SOMETHING ELSE!!!

I mostly agree with your assessment. Adam’s scores at JO were HUGE---just like Evan Lysacek’s. It remains to be seen if the scores can be repeated at SC. Still, if Takahashi’s NHK FS scores are any indicator, the JO scores don’t seem to be overly inflated…and even though Patrick Chan is fully capable of posting phenomenal scores, it’s just the start of the season + he has consistency problems…hence, a good likelihood he may not skate clean. Strategically, I think Adam should aim for gold at SC because it’s an easier assignment than SA, where he will again face Takahashi, who seems to be the one to beat this season.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yes sorry, I meant Alissa, dumb mistake on my part.

I haven't seen any vids of her training or run throughs, so who knows? The coaching change may help, Yuka was a solid jumper so perhaps she can pass that on to Alissa, but who knows...I am totally psyched to see her programs though, she has some beautiful music lined up (Korngold's violin romance is a favourite!)

I think Phaneuf already had a minor breakthrough at the 2010 worlds, she finished much higher than I was expecting, she could have even taken the bronze. I strongly suspect she'll take this one if Alissa can't pull it together. She'll probably also make the final. She's not a particular favourite of mine, and she seems to go for the same 80s drag-queen hair and makeup style Joannie favoured (totally worth a deduction in the program components score IMO!!), but she's getting better as a competitor, I think.

Actually, that's true about Cynthia and Joannie's makeup/hair. I never noticed that before, but now that you mention it.. something always bothered me about Joannie's look and I think that's what it was.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know about predictions, but my hopes are that Nobunari Oda comes back from his Worlds disaster and really challenges for the gold medal spot. I also really want Jeremy Ten to skate his best! :love: I also want Koffe, Javi, and Adam to do their best too! :love: For the ladies, I want either Alissa or Ksenia to win! I also want Cynthia to do her best! Pairs looks kind of like a sleeper, but I'd love for them to prove me wrong. Dance, Crone/Poirier vs. Kerr/Kerr could be interesting. Bring on the skating!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think the Kerrs must have WD. In Pj Kwong's blog, she doesn't mention them at all as podium picks, and I don't think she'd just forget about them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
colleen o'neill described them skating their FD in the practice, as seen on Skatebuzz, (so I guess they are there), and said that they really liked the program.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...s-on-SkateBuzz&p=523287&viewfull=1#post523287

PJ is perhaps getting a little too Canadiocentric :laugh: or she just wasn't at the practice when they skated. Kerrs also just skated at Michael Weiss' show, and did their SD, so I'm assuming they are still skating until told otherwise.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Oh, doris, I was hoping you had seen this practice . I'll be interested to see what you have to say tomorrow.I don't have the detailed technical knowledge to give a definitive report.( but I know what I like) I thought the Kerrs had some really lovely details, and they seemed maybe faster/ closer ? just more together than I usually think of them being.
Very favourably impressed with T/B. They're a very attractive couple. I don't think they did a complete run through, but I think it was all their FD.
C/P did seem to have some pretty knockout footwork sequences as well ( FD ).. G/B were not as good as I thought they might be ( SD )..but also well-matched and attractive..P/I had a slip up in their footwork sequence (SD) but later did it perfectly..I just don't know the level of difficulty.
What I find so interesting about this competition is that ,apart from the Kerrs, these couples are roughly all the same age , so barring injuries, they could all be around vying with each other for years...Fun !

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think the Kerrs must have WD. In Pj Kwong's blog, she doesn't mention them at all as podium picks, and I don't think she'd just forget about them.

PJ Kwong has alot of strange opinions in her blog so I expect she just assumed they werent a podium threat in this field of mostly junior or young senior teams even though they were 5th at Worlds last year. :disapp: She actually called Weaver & Poje the biggest threat to Virtue & Moir at Skate Canada in 2007.