What happened to Elena Sokolova? | Golden Skate

What happened to Elena Sokolova?

raress

On the Ice
I always want to ask if somebody knows something about her.Because i didn't see her since 2007 wolds and no news since then!:|

volk

Final Flight
I always want to ask if somebody knows something about her.Because i didn't see her since 2007 wolds and no news since then!:|

From what I heard she got married and earlier this year had a baby.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Given her poor competition results during that last season and the way she was dumped by her federation and publicly called lazy, I have to assume she ate too many cupcakes.

Last edited:
Here is Elena's most famous performance, winning the silver medal at 2003 Worlds. (Dick Button and Peggy Fleming weren't entirely thrilled, but the judges gave her a lot of 5.9's for both technical and presentation.)

She did 7 triples including an opening triple Lutz/ triple toe, with a great edge on the Lutz. She almost beat Michelle Kwan for the championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIKXBwb670

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She was reborn in the form of a sassy young brunette girl named Anna Ovcharova. :)
She's a mini-Sokolova, only better.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Here is Elena's most famous performance, winning the silver medal at 2003 Worlds. (Dick Button and Peggy Fleming weren't entirely thrilled, but the judges gave her a lot of 5.9's for both technical and presentation.)

She did 7 triples including an opening triple Lutz/ triple toe, with a great edge on the Lutz. She almost beat Michelle Kwan for the championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIKXBwb670

*Underrotated Triple Toe on the end of that Triple Lutz (underrotated in the SP as well). I think Sokolova has executed a sufficiently rotated 3-3 only once in her whole competitive career (2004 Euros). The rest would have been downgraded.

She really wasn't close to winning. Her technical marks, with an extra triple over Kwan, averaged out to be the same (although she got more 5.9's) and her presentation marks were far lower. The performance was clearly not as artistic or emotionally inspired and the basic skating ability was clearly much lower. She basically just won the Russian judge.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If we are going to make threads for the russian ladies, can we also make one for Maria Butyrskaya pretty please:) And Irina also. I wanna learn how their nourriture is going.;)

If we are going to make threads for the russian ladies, can we also make one for Maria Butyrskaya pretty please:) And Irina also. I wanna learn how their nourriture is going.;)

I vote yes also! I am especially fond of Irina. I love her sunny, straightforward personality and her splendid power on the ice. She always seemed to me to be someone who got the best out of each moment of life, in easy times and hard times. Ptichka, any news from the Russian papers or sites?

lavender

Record Breaker
*Underrotated Triple Toe on the end of that Triple Lutz (underrotated in the SP as well). I think Sokolova has executed a sufficiently rotated 3-3 only once in her whole competitive career (2004 Euros). The rest would have been downgraded.

She really wasn't close to winning. Her technical marks, with an extra triple over Kwan, averaged out to be the same (although she got more 5.9's) and her presentation marks were far lower. The performance was clearly not as artistic or emotionally inspired and the basic skating ability was clearly much lower. She basically just won the Russian judge.

Agree. It wasn't close at all. I think Elena and her fed thought it was for some strange reason.:laugh:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Again, they were reincarnated in the form of teenagers.

Irina Slutskaya --> Polina Shelepen

Maria Butyrskaya --> Ksenia Makarova
:)

Layfan

Record Breaker
Again, they were reincarnated in the form of teenagers.

Irina Slutskaya --> Polina Shelepen

Maria Butyrskaya --> Ksenia Makarova
:)

I'm hopeful that Russian will soon have Marias and Irinas. :) But I hope that all those young Russian girls find the heart and soul that Maria and Irina came to have. Neither were perfect skaters but they both find their styles and stayed true to it.

Here's Maria's exhibition performance at Nagano. So gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Y6HPCD0a8&feature=related

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please do not comment on the appearance and intellect of other posters. It's not a joke, and it is against the guidelines. Besides which, it's boring and off topic.

goldenpleasures

On the Ice
I had read somewhere she (Irina) is expecting a second baby maybe?:)

There were rumours about that a while back, but I think she would have had the baby by now if it had been true.

I loved Sokolova in the 1997-1998 season. She got a lot of bad press in later years for having poor edgework (which was true) and for her triple-triples being underrotated, but at least she was trying them.

I'm very hopeful about the Russian youngsters. :)