Ladies Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Mao Asada 20.00/28.95/47.95 #8
yikes............. hope she comes back strong tomorrow.

The final standings are
#1 Carolina Kostner 57.27
#2 Kanako Murakami 56.10
#3 Rachael Flatt 53.69
#4 Ashley Wagner 52.93
#5 Kiira Korpi
#6 Caroline Zhang 50.71
#7 Jenna McCorkell 49.07
#8 Mao Asada 47.95

Oh and then my feed closed on me.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Agree! So happy for her.

Haha, a bit late here :laugh: I meant to agree with post #52; Caro deserves 1th place :yay:

Last edited:

euroskate

Final Flight
Holy cow, 8th place, not a good start, but to be expected, sadly. :(

Still, I maintain I liked the concept of this program, and when skated clean I expect high marks, but the judges will no longer be giving marks to hold her up when she skates bad, like today. :(

well judges still "hold her up" because she got the second highest PCS after a clean carolina. Her technical scores are low because of her mistakes. judging of mao was perfect, there cannot be any complaint!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Wow, if Carolina skates decently tomorrow, I don't think she can be beaten; Mao can make up a lot of points on her, but not ten. But everything is unpredictable. At this point, Murakami could win!

Layfan

Record Breaker
You can really tell Caroline has reworked everything and really tried to work on her speed but she still has a long way to go, I think Good for her though! Soooo nice to see the mule kick gone.

I liked Rachael's LP costume. She llooked good .. the best of the three Americans this competition, I thought, but she didn't hit it out of the park or anything. The scores are loowwww in this competition, no?

Is Kiira Korpi EVER going to hit all her jumps? Sigh. Well, she looked gorgeous as usual. Can't wait to see Caro.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
To bad about Mao's jumps other than that IMO her program is first rate just not skated well at all.

Carolina my girl was on. Well deserved first place. Loved every part of her SP, she really shined, so happy for her.

Kanako first time I have seen her skate, she has it all to succeed.

The US Ladies were o.k. Nothing really stood out for me. I liked Racheal's hair and dress
and kudos to Caroline for fixing her jump technique. It is early in the season and I am sure
we will see their programs improve.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I liked Caro's and Ashley's programs the best. (and Mao's if she skates it clean) The high PCS for Kanako's junior program I don't understand at all. Some expert out there to explain?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I watched the whole ladies event this time because I was interested to see how the new rules would apply. I'm glad I did. I saw some very nice programs. Some thoughts:

1. Contrary to our predictions, no lady except Mao really went for the big guns (most went for 3-2s). I guess that means it will take time for ladies to start taking advantage of the new UR rule. Perhaps to peak in March?

2. I love how the spiral's now being used as transition elements & how I don't have to bear the torture of ugly, prolonged, choreographically-meaningless spiral sequences. I was horrified by the new rule at first, but now I see that SPs are much more pleasing thanks to it.

3. Scores are much lower in general because of (1) the omission of spiral sequences (2) the new GOE factoring and (3) the watered down jump layout in general. I want to see the protocols already. I think I'll re-work scores according to the old system, so that we can actually compare side-to-side & translate this first crop of SP scores into the numbers we had gotten used to.

Great night for some of the ladies. The American skaters were really awesome.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yey, Caro! Hope she keeps this up. Her costume is gorgeous! The best of competition by far, I thought. But again, why are all these scores so low.

What is going on with Mao? Her second rough competition in a row. This is not good. I know she started out slow last year but this seems worse. :cry:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I watched the whole ladies event this time because I was interested to see how the new rules would apply. I'm glad I did. I saw some very nice programs. Some thoughts:

1. Contrary to our predictions, no lady except Mao really went for the big guns (most went for 3-2s). I guess that means it will take time for ladies to start taking advantage of the new UR rule. Perhaps to peak in March?

2. I love how the spiral's now being used as transition elements & how I don't have to bear the torture of ugly, prolonged, choreographically-meaningless spiral sequences. I was horrified by the new rule at first, but now the SPs were much more pleasing, in part because of it.

3. Scores are much lower in general because of (1) the omission of spiral sequences (2) the new GOE factoring and (3) the watered down jump layout in general. I want to see the protocols already. I think I'll re-work scores according to the old system, so that we can actually compare side-to-side & translate this first crop of SP scores into the numbers we had gotten used to.

Great night for some of the ladies. The American skaters were really awesome.

I wondered if the sprial sequence had to do witht he scores. Maybe the judges are still getting used to the new rules? Or maybe the skaters still haven't figured out how to get the most out of the new rules. Anway, we saw some very nice programs. I didnt' think the American ladies were all that awesome, I have to admit. They were solid for their first competition. It'll be very interesting to see how everyone holds up in the LP.

In general, I thought everyone looked rather cautions. Like they know it's not Olympic year and they're not going for broke... except Caro who is the one with the most to prove.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
The high PCS for Kanako's junior program I don't understand at all. Some expert out there to explain?

1. The event was in Kanako's "hood," or so to speak--the audience was loud and supportive, homecooking, etc
2. Kanako's program and packaging definitely screamed JUNIOR AND PROUD OF IT but it was OK for what it was, IMO--her highest PCS was in PE and IN, which makes sense since Kanako skated with good energy and verve that suited the music, etc

cailou

Spectator
It seems that Rachel reworked her flip technique. Better flip than last season. Carolina and Kiira did very good performances. And Yay Caroline! I'm really happy for her. She can come back!

adoreyuna

Rinkside
You can really tell Caroline has reworked everything and really tried to work on her speed but she still has a long way to go, I think Good for her though! Soooo nice to see the mule kick gone.

ITA. She looks like another person. And I think she has been really trying to fix her problems especially hammer kick. I can't help respecting her because I was thinking it was impossible for her to correct it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I liked Caro's and Ashley's programs the best. (and Mao's if she skates it clean) The high PCS for Kanako's junior program I don't understand at all. Some expert out there to explain?

I just started watching the clips - but Kanako was fun and performed really well. I don't see that making her "juniorish" just as seeing Caroline with a serious expression does not make her look more like a senior. It is about how they skate - and perfroming and audience appeal is part of it.

Kanako is a natural - most of the others have to force it out to an extent.
Thanks to dizzy for the links. Have to watch more now.....

liketotally

On the Ice
WHOA. Now that was one impressive 3F from Caroline Zhang (compared to all her previous efforts) - I was really stunned that she actually managed to correct her mule-kick.

I think this is a great start to the season for her, hope she gets even better!

janetfan

Match Penalty
WHOA. Now that was one impressive 3F from Caroline Zhang (compared to all her previous efforts) - I was really stunned that she actually managed to correct her mule-kick.

I think this is a great start to the season for her, hope she gets even better!

The thing I noticed is that Caroline has much more height on her jumps than last season when she barely got off the ice.
Nice to see her improvements - but she still has a way to go on that 2A. Ashley also has a less than stellar 2A.

evangeline

Record Breaker

Me too! She still needs a bit more speed, esp. going into her 2A, though. But still--now the mule kick appears to be gone, I have to eat another hat (the first was when Sasha Cohen showed up at US Nats last season)...

BTW, is Caroline's pearl spin pernamently MIA at this point?