Where have all the spirals gone? | Golden Skate

Where have all the spirals gone?

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
My lack of time on the boards this off season is catching up with me. I'm watching NHK and I don't see any spiral sequences in the Ladies or pairs SPs. What's the deal? Was there a rule change? I'm only counting 7 elements for the ladies, is this all that's required now?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeah, they took the Spiral Sequences out as a required element (so therefore nobody is doing one because nobody seems to have any creativity these days). The Men's SP also only has 1 required Footwork sequence now.

Hikaru

Final Flight
how sad to see that! Those are the things that make me miss Sasha Cohen's spirals, she always invented a new entry or something (like last season opening her spiral with the split jump).

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
What was their reasoning behind that? As much as I disliked seeing badly executed spirals, I miss not seeing any spirals more. The few lone spirals I did see only lasted about 2 seconds.

I'm guessing its now going to be hard for skaters to acheive a PB in the Short with one less required element.

eliza88

On the Ice
I too am behind...What was the reasoning behind dropping the spirals and step seq? I did miss seeing spirals watching the NHK.

brightphoton

Medalist
I saw Ashley Wagner do 2/3 of her step sequence on one foot in NHK. I think step sequences emphasis what figure skating was originally about (edges and control of the blade). On the other hand, spirals showcase more of the skater's flexibility and contortion abilities.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
On the other hand, spirals showcase more of the skater's flexibility and contortion abilities.

But spirals should showcase EDGES and GLIDE, and in America, are part of skating moves called "gliding manuvers" which include Ina Bauer moves, spread eagles and the spirals. I have no idea why they decided to drop this sequence other than all Level 4 SpSt looking alike, which makes competitions have less variety. Maybe one day it will return as an element that gets points. Until it does, we won't see it.

RIP spiral sequences! You existed since the "Original Program" of 1991, and are now gone less than 20 years later in 2010.

Mafke

Medalist
"Where have all the spirals gone?"

Back to hell, where they belong?

Sprial requirements in both the short and long is major overkill. Too much of a not that good thing. The spiral requirment seemed to be created as a conscious effort to girl up the sport but 90 % of spirals even by good skaters are major snoozefests. I would mind making it possible for those with good (non rubber bendy girl) spiral positions to show them off, but there were times that I thought if I saw just one more semi-Biellmann wobbly spiral as the skater visibly counts to three and I'm shooting the tv set.....

mskater93

Record Breaker
But spirals should showcase EDGES and GLIDE, and in America, are part of skating moves called "gliding manuvers" which include Ina Bauer moves, spread eagles and the spirals. I have no idea why they decided to drop this sequence other than all Level 4 SpSt looking alike, which makes competitions have less variety. Maybe one day it will return as an element that gets points. Until it does, we won't see it.
The L4 spiral sequence had no muscial value as holding a spiral for 5 seconds (which may fit the music) and two other spiral positions for 3 seconds each would be worth less than hold a spiral for 6 seconds (which would look choreographically odd) and two other positions for 3 seconds each.

I like the ChSpSt1 in the LP to allow it to be more choreographically interesting. Doesn't mean people won't still do U-G-L-Y spirals...

Scout

Final Flight
One less element gives the skater more time to interpret the music, and focus on choreography. They don't have to cram in as many requirements in 2:50.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
One less element gives the skater more time to interpret the music, and focus on choreography. They don't have to cram in as many requirements in 2:50.

Thats the reasoning behind it, but it rarely works that way. Competitive skaters are in this for , well, COMPETING :biggrin: and they want to win and have good results in their career, so now for example the men are taking all that extra time in their one step sequence which now takes forever (and with the most random patterns, theres no longer straight or circular) so they can make sure they reach the levels.