Pairs - LP | Golden Skate

Pairs - LP

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
LP standings after first group
1 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN USA 100.69 52.66 49.03 6.25 5.71 6.25 6.25 6.18 1.00 #3
2 Maylin HAUSCH / Daniel WENDE GER 97.82 53.70 44.12 5.79 5.29 5.57 5.57 5.36 0.00 #2
3 Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN 97.69 52.01 46.68 5.96 5.71 5.75 5.89 5.86 1.00 #4
4 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 88.83 46.99 41.84 5.54 5.07 5.11 5.36 5.07 0.00 #1

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
LP results
1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 122.27 57.58 64.69 8.25 7.89 7.93 8.25 8.11 0.00 #8
2 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 113.67 58.81 54.86 6.96 6.71 6.86 7.07 6.68 0.00 #7
3 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN USA 100.69 52.66 49.03 6.25 5.71 6.25 6.25 6.18 1.00 #3
4 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN JPN 98.43 49.50 50.93 6.50 6.29 6.11 6.61 6.32 2.00 #6
5 Maylin HAUSCH / Daniel WENDE GER 97.82 53.70 44.12 5.79 5.29 5.57 5.57 5.36 0.00 #2
6 Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN 97.69 52.01 46.68 5.96 5.71 5.75 5.89 5.86 1.00 #4
7 Caydee DENNEY / Jeremy BARRETT USA 97.35 47.42 49.93 6.46 6.00 6.21 6.32 6.21 0.00 #5
8 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 88.83 46.99 41.84 5.54 5.07 5.11 5.36 5.07 0.00 #1

Overall standings
1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN
189.37 1 1
2 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS
173.83 2 2
3 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN JPN
155.66 3 4
4 Caitlin YANKOWSKAS / John COUGHLIN USA
154.88 6 3
5 Caydee DENNEY / Jeremy BARRETT USA
152.38 4 7
6 Mylene BRODEUR / John MATTATALL CAN
151.97 5 6
7 Maylin HAUSCH / Daniel WENDE GER
148.31 7 5
8 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN
138.55 8 8

Not a surprise Qing & Pang won. Great for Vera & Yuri for winning the silver and Narumi & Mervin for medaling at their first senior GP!

:rock:

oleada

Record Breaker
B/L were the highlights of the evening - great skate, they really fought for everything, and Vera landed the best 3T I've seen her do yet. Their lifts are fantastic. They still have room for improvement, which is great, because they can score even higher. They won't let the third Russian pairs spot go without a fight!

P/T were not on, especially her. She singled a 2A, and only did a 2.5T. Their lifts seemed weak skating right after B/L. Their expression is good, but the program seemed to involve mostly posing and staring at each other's eyes. I don't think the 10pt difference in scores was really justified.

T/T had a messy skate and hung on to a medal by the skin of their teeth, but their program was the most interesting, choreographically, and they probably had the best lifts of the night. Narumi can't hit an ugly position. Lots of potential.

Y/C skated well, but their program is very one-note, which gets boring. She fell on the 3T.

D/B had a disaster - she messed up the 3T and a lift, their pair elements were weak and just seemed heavy overall. Little connection to the music or each other. Really a bad competition for them; they did not look good at all. Last season, they were scoring similarly to B/L; now B/L scored over 20pts higher.

The Germans were my surprise of the evening; I wasn't expecting much but they skated well and seemed much improved from last year.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I really liked B/L, they were the highlights of the evening as Oleada said! I thought, honestly, that they would win the LP portion after P/T skated.(or at least, they should win the LP). I also liked the other american team, much more that D/B.

gold12345

Medalist
Last season, they were scoring similarly to B/L; now B/L scored over 20pts higher.

Well, that is to be expected since B/L skated relatively cleanly while D/B had several mistakes/lower level elements. Both teams have things to work on, but D/B in particular struggled today.

T&T's lifts are beautiful! The rest, not so much. :laugh: At least not tonight. They are capable of skating better than this, as they have showed on the Junior GP this season. They have a very nice presence on the ice though.

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, D/B were clean in the SP, and B/L beat them by 5 points. Anyway, they had a good chance to show improvements and make the GPF, but they didn't take show any and they didn't take it. They didn't gain any of the polish they said they were hoping to get, and the energy they had last year is gone as well.

Their death spiral deserves a mention for being the ugliest one I've ever seen at this level! One judge gave them a -3 for it.

Last edited:

roemerr

Rinkside
D/b

While I agree that technically Denney and Barrett had a bad free skate, I think their PCS scores actually showed improvement in that area. In my opinion they connected more to each other and to the music. I also think they showed better flow across the ice. They do need to work on their death spiral and they cannot afford the jumping mistakes.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
CBC didn't show enough people. I think this event was weak in general though as I wasn't too impressed by the programs by either the silver or bronze medalists. The only ones I saw who I actually enjoyed were Pang and Tong. Wanted to see Denney and Barrett, but CBC didn't show them.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Highlights for me:

P/T not their best skate but the class of the field. IMO

Yankowskas/Coughlin I thought they skated beautifully to Ave Maria despite
her fall.

I thought that Takahashi/Tran were overscored, they made a lot of mistakes.
Great lifts tho.

Denney/Barrett have lost some of their spark from last season. I thought they were slow
and I did not see any connection between them at all.

B/L deserved second place but I am not a fan yet.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
CBC didn't show enough people. I think this event was weak in general though as I wasn't too impressed by the programs by either the silver or bronze medalists. The only ones I saw who I actually enjoyed were Pang and Tong. Wanted to see Denney and Barrett, but CBC didn't show them.

If you got to skatebuzz.com they have all the programs on demand so you can watch what you missed.

gold12345

Medalist
Well, D/B were clean in the SP, and B/L beat them by 5 points. Anyway, they had a good chance to show improvements and make the GPF, but they didn't take show any and they didn't take it. They didn't gain any of the polish they said they were hoping to get, and the energy they had last year is gone as well.

Their death spiral deserves a mention for being the ugliest one I've ever seen at this level! One judge gave them a -3 for it.

Yeah, D/B were clean in the SP, but I agree that death spiral looked nasty and they also had substantial unison issues on the sbs spins. I think D/B are close enough to B/L score wise when they both skate well, but that's not saying that much, as I think B/L have glaring weaknesses of their own... one being their lack of relation to the music. There is no fire or energy in their skating. I want to like them, but there's just something dull about them.

rain

Record Breaker
I thought Pang/Tong's program was gorgeous and has the potential to be a signature piece for them. They were in a totally different league than the other skaters. The presentation aspects were stunning.

A little bit off topic, but with Takahashi and Tran placing so well here, and with Reed and Reed making a respectable effort in ice dance, things are looking good for the Japanese team at the World Team Trophy competition in the spring.

smia

Rinkside
Yeah, D/B were clean in the SP, but I agree that death spiral looked nasty and they also had substantial unison issues on the sbs spins. I think D/B are close enough to B/L score wise when they both skate well, but that's not saying that much, as I think B/L have glaring weaknesses of their own... one being their lack of relation to the music. There is no fire or energy in their skating. I want to like them, but there's just something dull about them.
I'd have to disagree. I saw fire in Bazarova despite their weak choreography and focus on getting the elements done. The latter is understandable given that Vera is only 17. Pang/Tong weren't focused on interpretation either at that age.
B/L don't seem to have the normal Russian speed and unison.. It would help if Vera had something to eat, she looks too fragile.
Anyway, the potential is certainly there for B/L but they won't reach it this season with these programs... D/B are just hopeless.

Nice performance by Pang/Tong, although there's still a certain degree of messiness in their skating so I'm surprised by those inflated scores.

Disappointing skate for Takahashi/ Tran but she does have flawless lift positions.

skfan

Final Flight
takahashi & tran's program was the best choreographed, the pair spins had good positions, they also had good chemistry between them, musicality and spark. if they could just land the jumps (like that's a small thing LOL) they have more polish and wow to me than any of the others. last year i was all about b/l but this year, i'd rather watch t&t crash every jump element as long as the lifts and spirals go off w/o a hitch. there won't ever be another G&G or another gordeeva, but narumi reminds me a little bit of gordeeva, something about her ability to still connect to the audience despite discouraging starts, her gorgeous positions on those lifts, her arms in particular. the death spiral needs work, the pair spin could use more speed, mervin's side by side spin seemed poorly centered... i'm not blind to the faults, but i'm in love nonetheless.

t&t and the shibutanis made NHK for me. much as i love dai, much as i'm thrilled to see carolina kostner recover some of her joy and poise after last year.