Ladies - LP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

champs

Final Flight
And you know this personally? The point isn't about the vlogging per se, the point is that Ashley seems to have broadened her interests beyond skating. Just like most 19 year olds. That is not a criticism of her, as eventually life moves forward. But at some point, you can only be so diversified, when you are simultaneously trying to get to the top of the pile in elite sports. And she hasn't even won her first US championship yet, much less in major internationals.

Whatever...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Injury injury injury...it's better that she didnt try them in this competition! she has to recover first! btw she isn't first in the tecnical score but she won thanks to her components which were at the highest level at this competition!
And if I remember well lepisto got 115+ for a program with three triple so I don't see nothing strange in carolina score and first place!

I liked Caro's LP and nice to see her win. And thanks for letting us know yesterday about her injury. She could have pulled out but chose to compete. And she won so good for her. Hope her knee is better soon.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Congrats to Carolina K.!!! I'm so happy to see her smiling again and the "wow!" when she saw the marks was great! :)

yeah, she didn't do lutz and flip, but that's because she can't do them now because of injury.

anyway the overall field was so weak!!!

Tanja90

On the Ice
I liked Caro's LP and nice to see her win. And thanks for letting us know yesterday about her injury. She could have pulled out but chose to compete. And she won so good for her. Hope her knee is better soon.
You're welcome! :)

Dizzy

Spectator
Injury injury injury...it's better that she didnt try them in this competition! she has to recover first! btw she isn't first in the tecnical score but she won thanks to her components which were at the highest level at this competition!
And if I remember well lepisto got 115+ for a program with three triple so I don't see nothing strange in carolina score and first place!

Sorry didn't know about her injury,hope she gets better soon and it looks like going back to Huth did her good.

Nigel

On the Ice
The ice rink is built in an arena that has two swimming pools, a 50 m and a diving pool. The rink is actually constructed over the 50m pool and the diving pool is still full of water. Very warm and humid, creating "sticky" ice conditions for the skaters.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
This is such a repeat of the trainwreck that was 2010 Worlds.

Agree. I was planning on following the GP series much more carefully this season, but maybe I should let it off until Worlds. These girls all need to regroup and rework their jumps. Jumping technique is terrible across the board :disapp: So many falls, DGs, edge calls and wonky jumps. This was a serious let-down, esp. since I had high hopes for NHK. What a bad start to the season.

What I would do for a little Yu-na and Joannie. What's with the technical content of this field?

Congratulations to the medalists, though. I'm glad Caro K medaled after such difficult two seasons; Rachael, because she actually delivered some goodies and Kanako, bronze in her first senior GP's a great feat.

Canastatango

Rinkside
I just loved Rachael's new look. She seems to be such a positive skater and I really enjoyed her skating. I know it was not perfect but I felt she really loves competing and skating. I just hope Caroline will keep on working towards improvement. I hope she would not get discouraged by her score.

fairly4

Medalist
as fars as it goes, it was rigged the minute mao totally screwed up her program.
they wanted to put mao in medal contention, or at least close enough-but the skaters basically stood on their feet so they nailed their programs with downgrades and edge calls.
rachel won because of 1-skated okay-not great-but okay , 2-sponorship deal, 3-usa national champ
ashley got points because of sponorship-felts she got cheated out of olympics,
zhang got nailed why-1) always nailed her, didn't want her up their in first place kept her down on purpose.
she needs to decide whether or not to put money in a sport that wont give her chance.
a sport that is unfair, driven by the federations hinting to which skaters they want up there and it is obvious they don't want zhang up there or to even give her a fighting chance or notice improvements when they are there.the usfsa should be honest with them since they don't have from what i understand the money to continue in the sportor it is hard for them regarding money.
and they want to know way the american public don't watch them or back them like they used too. we won't with this kind of maniuplation. as long as they have sponsor money for the elitist class in U.s. so they can watch and buy products . they will do what they have always done get away with it, without regards to normal american public consideration, no wonder it tanked.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
I enjoyed Rachael too and I felt she should have won the free skate by more than she did. Kostner gets extra points by just staying on her feet. No way should the scores be that close when Kostner's jumps were so watered down. She even had wonky landings with those limited triples.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Whole post

So according to you there's this sekret conspiracy to hold Caroline down and prop up Rachael? And everyone got dinged with URs/DGs/edge calls because Mao skated poorly?

Have you even seen the protocols or watched the programmes? It was an utter splat-fest and nearly everyone bombed, to varying degrees. There wasn't a single error-free programme. It's a competition to be forgotten asap.

I far prefer Zhang to Flatt but I can't argue with the placements. Flatt was technically better. Zhang has improved but she still skates slowly, which kills her PCS. Give Caroline more time to sort out her technique issues and I'm sure the judges will reward her if she keeps improving.

Flatt v Kostner is another matter. I normally feel Kostner is over-rated but apparently she has good skating skills and wonderful speed, which makes her far better to watch live. I've almost always found Flatt to be flat.

Mao bombed, and the judges really didn't hesitate to bury her. Goes to show that reputation can only get you so far.

mystichaze

On the Ice
fairly4 needs to lay of the crack, stat! Rigged?!!?? Really? It must be nice living in your world filled with rainbows and satchels of gold.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It is best to ignore fairly4's ramblings. Everything is a conspiracy. In the past I have tried to make some sense out of her/his postings but always fail. For some reason she/he thinks that skaters of Chinese descent are held to different standards than other skaters i.e. discrimination. Thank goodness she/he was not around when Michelle was competing and winning everything. I suspect that fairly4 still would have found a conspiracy in that scenario too.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure what happened to Caroline. She looked heavy. I think if she lost some weight, she could skate faster and with more grace and flow.

:eek: Have my eyes deceived me? You just criticized Caroline Zhang?! :eek: Mark this date in history, folks. I guess Zhang has officially hit rock bottom the day her most staunch supporter is doubtful. I might just print this out and hang it on my wall for posterity purposes. :p

Nadia01

Final Flight
Oh! I meant to write Yu Na's SPINS in Turin (I think it was the SP?). I don't think Ashley's and Yu Na's jumps are comparable, don't worry. Aborting a spin is just pretty much as bad as it can get on that element; Ashley just had a wobble and missed out on a position. And Yu Na would have won gold here, true Her jumps in Turin weren't good though; I hate how when she falls she takes a while to get back into the program; she always seems to stop, look around, seems to make sure the world hasn't come to an end and then continues. But I've seen tons of ladies do that tonight. I think that's what really defines MELTDOWN. When you let messed up jumps affect you like that and never get fully back in the program.

Yuna got 0 on her aborted spin in SP in Turin.

She didn't abort any spin in LP tho.

Nadia01

Final Flight
It is best to ignore fairly4's ramblings. Everything is a conspiracy. In the past I have tried to make some sense out of her/his postings but always fail. For some reason she/he thinks that skaters of Chinese descent are held to different standards than other skaters i.e. discrimination. Thank goodness she/he was not around when Michelle was competing and winning everything. I suspect that fairly4 still would have found a conspiracy in that scenario too.

Thanks for clarification. Was wondering if I missed something b/c I thought the placing was fine, and despite the "conspiracy" Mao didn't come anywhere close to the podium.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Rachael too and I felt she should have won the free skate by more than she did. Kostner gets extra points by just staying on her feet. No way should the scores be that close when Kostner's jumps were so watered down. She even had wonky landings with those limited triples.

Two of Rachael's triples were under-rotated, one flip and one lutz, so she would have won by a larger margin had she gotten full credit for those jumps.

lavender

Record Breaker
What a terrible competition. I always wish for Mao to do well no matter where she ends up. I feel for Caroline but I knew this would happen because that's how it is when you rework jumps and she had to truly start over. The problem for me is that she just doesn't carve that same figure on ice like she use to and this is so not her fault. Oh well....

It was strange and I have to say not such good news for Rachael. She was close to her best out there and was still outclassed by a less than full strength Caro.

I think Rachael can be satisfied with her start this season. She did OK in a venue where the condition of the ice, as reported above by Nigel, took its toll on everyone else. (The same thing happened in the first phase of the qualifying round of 2004 Worlds, with eveyone slipping and sliding and sticking to the ice.)

It would be nice if Rachael could find a way to improve her program component scores. She was only fifth in the LP in PCS, with scores in the mid-sixes, compared to the mid-sevens for Carolina Kostner. I don't think this improvement is going to happen, though, so she has to continue to out-tech everyone else if she wants to land on the podium.

janetfan said:
Rachael has a cupcake assignment at SA so she is basically in the GPF.

Interestingly, she basically faces the same skaters as she did at NHK, sans Mao. Seven of the twelve competitors at NHK are also scheduled for Skate America, including all of the poduium, Kostner, Flatt, and Murikami (substitute Lepisto for Korpi. :) )

Last edited: