Men's Free Program; Oct. 23 11:00 pm EST/9:00 pm where I am | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program; Oct. 23 11:00 pm EST/9:00 pm where I am

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sometimes art is created by mistake or without preconception! I agree with you that Morozov is often not a great choreographer and has to a tendency to create programs that rely on superficial arm movements. However, look at the music selections that have gone into Amodio's program:

"Broken" by Lisa Gerrard, "Apologize" by One Republic, "Imma Be" by Black Eyed Peas, "Don't Stop til' You Get Enough" by Michael Jackson.

The meaning of those songs and the fact that they are all very contemporary fits exactly into my interpretation of the program. Perhaps Morozov did not intend the program to have the depth I've assigned to it but, regardless, I felt those emotions from Amodio's performance, so accidental or not they are there (for me anyway).

I can't agree with "Dancing in place isn't musical interpretation." It certainly is! Moreover, it takes both training and talent to perform those kinds of movements. How many skilled dancers without extensive ice skating training could just strap on a pair of skates and do what Amodio did? None. They would be falling all over the ice or not moving nearly as well. We can say it's easier to perform in place rather than while moving but even then there are certainly times where dramatic pauses are more effective than doing a certain piece of choreography while moving. There's a time and a place. Amodio's program may have too much stationary movement but you really can't deny that he performs those movements incredibly. And they fit so well with the music. It could be better but I'll take it for now!

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Dai's Free this year is in the similar character as his SP last year. And a lot of similar movements. Not sure if it is a good idea. For judges and for the audience too. They want to see something new, a new program and a new character. Especially from someone who can do that, like Dai.

akoko

Rinkside
I kind of LOVE Amodio's program. His music and movements were the most interesting to me. I found the program to be a very modern take on the emotions someone experiences during and after a difficult breakup.

You know what, though? Amodio sells his movements BRILLIANTLY. The amount of "stepping" in his program may not be ideal but how many other skaters can move their bodies like that? An extremely small amount. For me his LP was the most successful out of any we saw at NHK. Give Takahashi and Abbott the higher marks for Skating Skills and Transitions and even Choreography (since their choreography can be considered more difficult and complex, despite not working with the music) but Amodio was the best in terms of PERFORMANCE and INTERPRETATION.

:rock:

Thank you for the analysis. :bow:

Without it, I would never have imagined that his program had such a depth.

I thought Amodio's music is easier to sell, unlike Takahashi's and Abbott's (especially latter), and both did a great job in terms of, not just technically, but performance and interpretation (again, especially latter). But I'm no expert, and your explanation gave me a food for thoughts.

I have to watch it again to see if I can feel what you felt, even to a small extent.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

lucca

Spectator
Dai's Free this year is in the similar character as his SP last year. And a lot of similar movements. Not sure if it is a good idea. For judges and for the audience too. They want to see something new, a new program and a new character. Especially from someone who can do that, like Dai.

His last year's SP and this year's LP are totally different kinds imo. The only similarity is that the music used is tango. In the last year's SP he was more of a confident flirtatious man, trying to allure women or something. Then, in this year's LP, he looks like a man struggling with anguished love. Trying to stop his lover from leaving him, perhaps? I feel so much more passion in it.

Canastatango

Rinkside
His last year's SP and this year's LP are totally different kinds imo. The only similarity is that the music used is tango. In the last year's SP he was more of a confident flirtatious man, trying to allure women or something. Then, in this year's LP, he looks like a man struggling with anguished love. Trying to stop his lover from leaving him, perhaps? I feel so much more passion in it.

I totally agree with you, lucca. I believe Abbott and Dai are two top skaters in the world now. Both have different style and definitely different body style. Both of them are skating programs that shows the best of their ability. I was happy to see Dai's exhibition program which showed his soft and quite side. I love to see Abott skating to more like Dai's SP one day.

prettykeys

Medalist
Florent Amodio is an amazing talent - expressive; great performer; jumps are good and have potential to get even better - but I found his LP this year to be gross. It started off nice, but there were too many "gimmicky" moments (as other posters have alluded to) and I hate how there are like 4 songs chopped and spliced together. I can't identify any clear theme.