Skating with the Stars | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating with the Stars

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought it was fun. Agree Johnny made a good judge, Dick wasn't too harsh, and after sounding just a little high-voiced and tense during her first few sentences Tanith settled in well and delivered the elements analysis quite smoothly. Dick and Johnny scored much alike, which I was glad to see as it suggests they value the skating aspects similarly. And of course the composition of the judging panel couldn't be more like the DWTS panel without actually using Len, Carrie Ann, and Bruno, with Older Esteemed Judge, Woman Judge (and it's even Laurie Ann like Carrie Ann, amazing to get it that similar ;)), and Flamboyant Judge.

I enjoyed Keauna and her partner, Brooke and her partner, and Fred and his partner the best. Sean was very stiff but her acting was kind of always the unbending ice queen, and she was a bit arrogant listing all her so-called advantages but Denis is a sweet partner to her.

Bruin714

On the Ice
It's starting now (Pacific Standard Time)

Johnny Weir and Dick Buttons are judges along with a choreographer/dancer.

Tanith Belbin is one of the hosts.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I tried watching this, but was unsuccessful, I literally passed out/fell asleep after watching Sean Young & her partner.

It's not due to the participants either, it's just that here in Seattle we've had a "white out"/snowstorm non-stop all day long, and my business required that I had to go to the post office, et al today, which I later regretted, but thank goodness I was lucky and didn't get into a car accident. Stay safe everyone!

Back to skating, I called my sister just a little while ago to see how this show went, as she watched it. And she told me Vince Neil was the funniest because he kept trying to follow his partner while doing little wheelies, etc. And Johnny Weir & Dick Button said "you're a rock star, do your own thing, stop following her around". :laugh: Her favorite was the skier, whom did a great job! But she was surprised Bethany Frankel from Real Housewives (or something like that) almost tied Vince Neil & his partner in last place; she thinks Johnny & Dick are playing favorites. ;) I only saw Sean Young and she seemed to do a good job, though slow, but good toe point, line, et al. :)^)

ranjake

Final Flight
I was surprised Bethenny's scores were so low- she did some cute lifts. She didn't "just skate" as well as Johnny Moseley or Rebecca- but I thought she was robbed a bit. Which is odd, or ? because she and Johnny Weir are friendly in real life. It was great to see Uncle Dick, and Johnny W doing "poker face", but the show was strange.

ABC TV has done a great job promoting this and tying it in with the hige Dancing with the Stars audience. By making Dancing with the Stars run past the hour by 15 minutes, a lot of viewers just kept it on the same channel who might otherwise have watched something else/

I will still go with my first choice, Johnny Mosley and Brooke Castile. They got the highest technical marks, and their dancing will come along as the show progresses.

No way the last skater should have got lower marks than the Led Zeppelin guy.

I thought it was funny when the announcer said, "some of the contestants weren't even born when Dick Button was skating." Hello! Some of their [o]grandparents[/i] weren't born yet. :)

Johnny's performance of Poker Face was smooth as butter. I wonder if Tanith and Ben will perform in later shows.

lavender

Record Breaker
I couldn't make it through it. Not sure why they tried to do this again. It didn't work the first time here. Maybe they thought that it would be like the Canadian version but it's not even close. I love the Canadian version but I can only find performances of this show online since I'm not in Canada.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
MM I had the same thought/hope about Tanith and Ben. Actually I'd like to see Ben be involved regularly in the show somehow (would he make a good host???) because he can be really well spoken when he tones down the goofiness.

Speaking of hosts and I know this really belongs on a DWTS thread but I find Brook pretty blah as hostess on DWTS.

ks777

Record Breaker
I tried watching this, but was unsuccessful, I literally passed out/fell asleep after watching Sean Young & her partner.

It's not due to the participants either, it's just that here in Seattle we've had a "white out"/snowstorm non-stop all day long, and my business required that I had to go to the post office, et al today, which I later regretted, but thank goodness I was lucky and didn't get into a car accident. Stay safe everyone!

Back to skating, I called my sister just a little while ago to see how this show went, as she watched it. And she told me Vince Neil was the funniest because he kept trying to follow his partner while doing little wheelies, etc. And Johnny Weir & Dick Button said "you're a rock star, do your own thing, stop following her around". :laugh: Her favorite was the skier, whom did a great job! But she was surprised Bethany Frankel from Real Housewives (or something like that) almost tied Vince Neil & his partner in last place; she thinks Johnny & Dick are playing favorites. ;) I only saw Sean Young and she seemed to do a good job, though slow, but good toe point, line, et al. :)^)

I am in everet and am stuck here at home today. Too much snow and ice! My dog seems to love it though!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
denis got a raw deal imo. Sean is stiff and her personality is so off putting. Still I could watch Denis skate basics all day long. So smooth! :love:

heyang

Record Breaker
Liked Keanu and her partner and Fred & Rebecca.

A little background on Rebecca. She portrays Greenlee Smythe DuPres Lavery Hayward on All My Children. Greenlee is also the long lost daughter of Jackson Montgomery, Erica Kane's current love/fiance. Rebecca also hosted After the Rose, where she met bachelor Bob Guiney. They did marry , but announced their divorce last year.

amykaren

On the Ice
The show was a train wreck. It makes our sport look like a joke. Rebecca was a wonderful skater and so was Johnny. But overall it was painful to watch.

I know that with Dancing with the Stars, some viewers complain when a contestant has too much dance training. But deep down, we prefer to watch people do well, because we want to see good dancing, dancing that stirs us, not a parody. We want to see the professionals' talent and hard work well displayed. (Who'd want to watch Derek Hough at less than his best, for example?) That dance show understands our enjoyment and is well produced and very demanding of both its pros and its guest stars. Unfortunately, Skating with the Stars seems in danger of veering off into "housewives and survivor" territory. Part of this is the nature of skating: you can't just pick it up after a few weeks of boot-camp practice and some childhood ballet and tap lessons. We who love skating can't count on getting much satisfaction from such a set-up, and as amykaren points out, there's a chance that it will make our sport look to outsiders like a joke.

Frustrating: Dancing with the Stars, because of its high quality, has attracted a lot of new fans to the hitherto obscure pursuit of ballroom dancing. What's Skating with the Stars going to do for skating, with those awkward routines and Bethenny Frankel bellowing at her partner in her aggressive voice as if he's guesting on her show rather than the other way around?

By the way, here's the sort of thing they're doing on Battle of the Blades: Katia Gordeyeva and hockey player Valery Bure in the finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWl47OkisCA&NR=1

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
It looks like Battle of the Blades has 2 advantages:
Hockey players that can skate, and
bigger ice.

SWTS really features novice to intermediate non-pro skaters. If the US version was able to get at least hockey players to pair with the female pros, they'd be capable of skating well and doing lifts.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It looks like Battle of the Blades has 2 advantages:
Hockey players that can skate, and
bigger ice.

SWTS really features novice to intermediate non-pro skaters. If the US version was able to get at least hockey players to pair with the female pros, they'd be capable of skating well and doing lifts.

In an interview last year, IIRC, Kurt had said that he was pitching a spin off to the US market, apparently there were no takers, or we'd have it.