Chan talks about the quad | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan talks about the quad

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Or at the very least, the art of fact checking before you blab to the media.

I'm surprised the reporter included Patrick's comment about Daisuke not landing a quad in NHK, it really sticks yet another foot in Patrick's mouth....

He specifies in the short program. Still stupid comment, but not technically wrong.

My thing is what everyone complains about: I wish he would leave it on the ice. Talk about your training, your programs, but competition is competition. Don't mock the competition with your words. He did it post CoR last season and his debut was terrible. We read that he comments on Takahashi's strategy, as opposed to just performing his own. I want to defend him so much (and am thankful that Nadine is doing so) but he makes it so hard.

oleada

Record Breaker
Especially when Takahashi is really not one to shy away from doing the quad. He was back doing it in his comeback season from after what could've been a career-ending injury. Hello, he even tried the 4F. And when it comes to musicality, interpretation, and audience involvement, Patrick could learn a thing or two from Daisuke.

Honestly, Patrick should just let his skating do the talking. At this point, he's commented negatively on Joubert, Plushenko and Takahashi, and ended up with an egg on his face more often than not. He's a very talented skater, but he's not the alpha and omega of skating.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm going to cut Chan some slack on this one. First of all, it's not clear what exactly he said to the interviewer re Takahashi; that part of the article is paraphrased, not a direct quote. In addition, Dai does open himself to criticism in this regard; he keeps talking about how important it is to him to win with a quad, and then he goes out and does 3-3s in the SP, even though he's perfectly capable of landing quads. Sure, he was returning from injury last season. But he's fine now, and he was fine in 2008. Chan probably shouldn't be the one to criticize, but it's a valid point for discussion.

And finally, Chan wasn't all talk in this case; he went for it in the SP, which I bet many people didn't think he would. Even with the rule changes, a lot of skaters are still not trying quads in the SP, and I think it was brave of him to do so despite having a lot less experience with the jump than others.

rocketry

Rinkside
I think it's really funny how much circulation this story got. It was reproduced online on ESPN, Lebanon News, and probably many more. Neither websites particularly cover skating, so it would be funny to see if they followed up.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm going to cut Chan some slack on this one. First of all, it's not clear what exactly he said to the interviewer re Takahashi; that part of the article is paraphrased, not a direct quote. In addition, Dai does open himself to criticism in this regard; he keeps talking about how important it is to him to win with a quad, and then he goes out and does 3-3s in the SP, even though he's perfectly capable of landing quads. Sure, he was returning from injury last season. But he's fine now, and he was fine in 2008. Chan probably shouldn't be the one to criticize, but it's a valid point for discussion.

And finally, Chan wasn't all talk in this case; he went for it in the SP, which I bet many people didn't think he would. Even with the rule changes, a lot of skaters are still not trying quads in the SP, and I think it was brave of him to do so despite having a lot less experience with the jump than others.

Daisuke landed the quad in the long program at NHK. Considering his issues with the quad toe last year, I could understand if the guy's building up to it.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont think he has said all things about Plu, JOub and Dai as it was printed but he must have said something so the journalist transfered it I guess, which is not very wise for his age and legend in skating to talk about accoplished skaters, first year he was obsessed with Joub, then Plu came back and he got occupied with him and this year with Dai, always with skaters that he feels threatened they would beat him or something.He is not making a rivary like this, it just looks bad. Hanyu said I want to be a Plushenko or something like this and he did land one in his first senior competition. At least Chan can talk after competitions, a vow of silence before doesnt hurt.:cool: But kudos for the quad:thumbsup:
But my real question is what "he puts an egg on his face" means because I m trying to portray it literally and i cant :laugh:

evangeline

Record Breaker
He specifies in the short program. Still stupid comment, but not technically wrong.

My thing is what everyone complains about: I wish he would leave it on the ice. Talk about your training, your programs, but competition is competition. Don't mock the competition with your words. He did it post CoR last season and his debut was terrible. We read that he comments on Takahashi's strategy, as opposed to just performing his own. I want to defend him so much (and am thankful that Nadine is doing so) but he makes it so hard.

I stand corrected, then.

But I completely agree with your point about Patrick needing to leave it on the ice. Talking down your opponents looks rather silly when it's one-sided.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
In Russia we say: "Word is silver, but silence is gold". So Patrick, could you please shut up and just skate?

IN USA you often hear "It is better to remain silent and let people think you are a fool, rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Does Chan have any PR agent/manager/minder on his team, giving him any advice? Or is he just a loose cannon?

I dont think he has said all things about Plu, JOub and Dai as it was printed but he must have said something so the journalist transfered it I guess, which is not very wise for his age and legend in skating to talk about accoplished skaters, first year he was obsessed with Joub, then Plu came back and he got occupied with him and this year with Dai, always with skaters that he feels threatened they would beat him or something.He is not making a rivary like this, it just looks bad. Hanyu said I want to be a Plushenko or something like this and he did land one in his first senior competition. At least Chan can talk after competitions, a vow of silence before doesnt hurt.:cool: But kudos for the quad:thumbsup:
But my real question is what "he puts an egg on his face" means because I m trying to portray it literally and i cant :laugh:

Agreed, Seniorita. And if Chan just kept quiet, he'd be an impressive skater. But some people need to run their mouth off to get themselves revved up, I guess.

The "egg on his face" idiom means that he embarrassed himself (or got into an embarrassing situation), generally in full view of other people. You can say "He ended up with egg on his face," and people will know that the person in question is standing there not looking too cool at that moment. There's often a public element to the idiom, because when you do something silly in private, no one has to know, and it doesn't sting quite so much.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
patrick needs a muzzle..or at least the understanding that when an interviewer asks you to account for something or asks you a leading question..you don't have to , especially when it involves analysing what has with another skater ( or what they may have said, or whatever )

I think nadine has it dead to rights, he wants too much to please.. Look , Patrick , they'll be pleased enough if you just say " I can't explain it..I just know I have to focus on my goals." or something like that. That said ,I always take paraphrases with a grain of salt . It's very possible he was relating her question ,whatever it was, and the situation with Dai at NHK , to all the hoo-ha that was directed at him (Patrick) last year as to whether a skater could / should win without a quad and literally everyone ( even his supporters ) saying that while you might not need one on any given day , you'd better try to have one in your arsenal .

Just keep mum.

Medusa

Record Breaker
You know the honest to God truth is I feel rather sorry for Patrick. Seriously, he seems like a people-pleaser, he wants to please everybody, he tries so hard but instead it always came out with him sticking his proverbial foot in his mouth. He reminds me of a puppy dog, wanting to be accepted, it's rather endearing in fact. I mean this with all sincereity.
I actually don't think so. I think he actually doesn't care that much about tact and other useless stuff. I guess he is probably rather aware of what he said last season and the season before. Probably aware of the fact that he is contradicting himself. He never ever struck me as especially innocent or stupid.

He has guts, too. Going for the Quad in both the short and the long right away, most people try for ages in the long program before at some point deciding to try it in the short.

He is not a great skater, he is a glorious one. And I think he actually knows it. And I think that really shows, in interviews and while he is skating. And it is good that it does. I am starting to adore him.

Disclaimer: nobody here really knows Patrick, me neither. So everything here is purely hypothetical.

Figure88

On the Ice
I really don’t have an opinion, nor do I care about what Patrick’s personality is like or what he says to the press. Figure skating is a sport so it’s to be expected that huge egos are involved, since most athletes are usually self-involved. Understandable.

But I think a lot of the complaints about his scores have merit.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I actually don't think so. I think he actually doesn't care that much about tact and other useless stuff. I guess he is probably rather aware of what he said last season and the season before. Probably aware of the fact that he is contradicting himself. He never ever struck me as especially innocent or stupid.

He has guts, too. Going for the Quad in both the short and the long right away, most people try for ages in the long program before at some point deciding to try it in the short.

He is not a great skater, he is a glorious one. And I think he actually knows it. And I think that really shows, in interviews and while he is skating. And it is good that it does. I am starting to adore him.

Disclaimer: nobody here really knows Patrick, me neither. So everything here is purely hypothetical.

Thanks for sharing your views on this Medusa. I think Patrick is such an impressive skater and still what - 19 years old?
I am not always a fan of everything that comes out of his mouth but find him far from the outrageous personality some here claim him to be.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Yeah..he hasn't learned tact , but OTOH, there are lots of people just waiting for any excuse to get their hate on. I haven't really been to the SC SP thread..made me feel a bit overwhelmed. I don't like it when skaters are held up..but it can happen for the home skaters of whatever country the event is held in..combine that with the new jump rules , which I'm a bit dubious about , and the combined result could be enough to easily explain what happened the other day.

I 've probably said this before, but when I first saw him live a couple of years ago , I was on my feet , unable to sit down for about the last minute and a half of his free skate. I simply could not believe all the things he was doing with his feet , the speed that he was doing it at and the distance he was covering .That there were jumps and spins incorporated..with hardly any break in pace..I couldn't tear my eyes away, but I was afraid to look..in case he couldn't sustain it.

Anyway, i'm going to hopr to see him lay down 2 clean skates next time out . That would go a long way to bringing the noise level down.;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for sharing your views on this Medusa. I think Patrick is such an impressive skater and still what - 19 years old?
I am not always a fan of everything that comes out of his mouth but find him far from the outrageous personality some here claim him to be.

Yes, he is still really young... Besides, I have the impression the article in the first posting has been changed a bit since it first appeared. I definetely remember that Chan mentioned something like that even without a quad Lysacek deserved his gold medal and the win over Plushenko in Vancouver. I see that remark no more, LOL... Is the writer a Canadian or an American?

Last edited:

zoozle

Spectator
<<< it’s “kind of weird” when a skater doesn’t put a quad in his short program even though he’s known for doing them. He said he was shocked that world champion Daisuke Takahashi won the NHK Trophy event last week without a quad, and he’s been doing quads longer than Chan has been doing triple Axels.>>>

this ... coming from Chan is pretty annoying and totally unacceptable. only guys like Plushy and Joubert can say that.
BTW, i know Daisuke did have 4toe-3or2toe in SP back in 2004-05 season. but i guess not any more since he had worked with Morozov.
personally, with a quad or not, i think SP should be clean enough to get decent PCS.

Last edited:

zoozle

Spectator
how about this?

<<<Chan acknowledged his role as a judges' favorite, saying he's grateful to be recognized for his skating skills.

"It's a good position to be in," he said. "I know [coach and choreographer] Lori [Nichol] speaks highly of me to judges, and I want to perform the way she says I can.

"Now that I've added the quad to my arsenal, I think I've stepped up to the Brian [Joubert] and Daisuke [Takahashi] level. It's taken a while with the quad.">>>

what he says is so unnecessary and hard to understand that he likes to bring other skaters names this way.

Hanyu is only 15 years old, and he is smart enough to know what to say when he speaks to a media.

evangeline

Record Breaker
how about this?

<<<Chan acknowledged his role as a judges' favorite, saying he's grateful to be recognized for his skating skills.

"It's a good position to be in," he said. "I know [coach and choreographer] Lori [Nichol] speaks highly of me to judges, and I want to perform the way she says I can.

So....is he basically openly admitting that Lori Nichol is politicking hard for him? I know there's more politicking in this sport than are sequins, but isn't this whole politicking business supposed to be hush-hush? Well, at least he's honest about it.....:laugh:

Well, I guess it's nice for Lori to see the fruits of her labour successfully harvested.

Last edited:
When Lori puts on seminars for ISU judges, to teach them what to look for in judging Performance/Execution, Choreography and Interpretation, she can mention the "happy feet" criterion. :yes:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hats off to "La Chan" for bringing the quad! *clapping* :) He now joins an elite select few, which is becoming bigger by the moment, lol.

Still, he & others will have to consistently land 10 per year in order to catch up to the true Quad Kings (ala Plushenko, Lambiel, Joubert). Kevin Reynolds is the one that is slowly but surely getting there. :)^)