‘Fresh start’ for Czisny after personal disappointment | Golden Skate

‘Fresh start’ for Czisny after personal disappointment

champs

Final Flight
No idea how much of an overhaul Sato/Dungjen has done with her jump techniques but I hope all the changes she's made since February will bear fruit soon.

Unlike with her previous choreographers, Czisny can rely on (choreographer Pasquale) Camerlengo to help her progress the program through the season. “It’s also very beneficial to me, that I am able to work with Pasquale on a weekly basis, when we are both in town at the same time, of course, because we are based at the same rink,” she said.

I have always wondered if this might not be a good way to go for many skaters. If you go to a world famous choreographer for a program, pay your $10,000, work with the persoin for three days and then never see the choreographer again until next year -- maybe that is not the most beneficial arragement.

When Michelle Kwan parted company with Lori Nichol the only official reason given was the logistics -- Nichol did not want to make a lot of trips to California and Michelle did not want to make a lot of trips to Toronto.

Anyway. we will get our first glimps of the new Alissa in about three hours! :love:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Jason Dungjen is coaching Alissa at Skate Canada this week (Yuka was with Jeremy in Japan last week). I believe the coaches will switch off for the upcoming GP events which are also back-to-back weeks (Jason with Jeremy to Russia and Yuka with Alissa to TEB).

janetfan

Match Penalty
Jason Dungjen is coaching Alissa at Skate Canada this week (Yuka was with Jeremy in Japan last week). I believe the coaches will switch off for the upcoming GP events which are also back-to-back weeks (Jason with Jeremy to Russia and Yuka with Alissa to TEB).

Thanks Sylvia. Makes sense .......

Even on that choppy YouTube video, you see her fluidity. And that spiral! Be still, my heart. Golly, I'd love for her to pick up her game where jumps are concerned, because there's really no one like her, and it would be a loss for her to leave skating.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Spoiler alert (if anyone cares)...

I thought she did well for herself in the SP, even with that initial stumble on the 3Z. At least she seemed in good spirits, which is a great turnaround from the ball of nerves that appeared in Spokane. Of course, the FS is still to come but she's only 3 points behind the leader...a fall or mistake by anyone in the top 4 can be the difference here.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I just wanted to say that out of all the American women at SC, hers was my favorite. :) And out of ALL the women that skated at SC Alissa was one of my top 3, along with the newcomer from Japan, and Ksenia from Russia.

That said, though I really enjoyed her spins, in the past she used to be like Lucinda Ruh, well almost, lol. I hope to see her create some new spins and really blow everybody else away in that sense.

GOOOOOOOOOO ALISSA!!!!!!!

krenseby

Final Flight
I just wanted to say that out of all the American women at SC, hers was my favorite. :) And out of ALL the women that skated at SC Alissa was one of my top 3, along with the newcomer from Japan, and Ksenia from Russia.

That said, though I really enjoyed her spins, in the past she used to be like Lucinda Ruh, well almost, lol. I hope to see her create some new spins and really blow everybody else away in that sense.

GOOOOOOOOOO ALISSA!!!!!!!

Is her skate up on Youtube?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry, I have no idea, krenseby, I watched it live on IN today. Her dress reminded me of the white one Sasha Cohen wore for her debut of her "Romeo & Juliet" program years ago. Lovely...

Layfan

Record Breaker
Even on that choppy YouTube video, you see her fluidity. And that spiral! Be still, my heart. Golly, I'd love for her to pick up her game where jumps are concerned, because there's really no one like her, and it would be a loss for her to leave skating.

Her spiral position looks better than ever, no? Even though she has such a soft style and isn't very fast, Alissa's programs always go by quickly for me. Her elements flow into each other so nicely.

Her jumps don't look that different to me, though. I'm glad to hear she's working so hard on her technique. My guess is she has peaked in terms of stepping up her game much but it'd be great if she could at least become a consistent jumper.

I have always wondered if this might not be a good way to go for many skaters. If you go to a world famous choreographer for a program, pay your $10,000, work with the persoin for three days and then never see the choreographer again until next year -- maybe that is not the most beneficial arragement.

When Michelle Kwan parted company with Lori Nichol the only official reason given was the logistics -- Nichol did not want to make a lot of trips to California and Michelle did not want to make a lot of trips to Toronto.

Good point, though I did like her choreography these past years very much. Perhaps the music choices were not always so original. But with Alissa's programs, I always got the sense the choreographers really enjoyed designing a program for her. As if they knew there were little intricacies she could pull off that others couldn't. And they were always simple moments - not some frantic footwork or arm flapping - just small moments that she could make sing.

Last edited:

havefun

Rinkside
If you watch SC Practice video there is a significant improvement in her jump technique. Her hip is much further forward on all her jumps and her toe in is much lower on the toe jumps. The change is not as visible in her comp programs as I am guessing the pressure is probably still causing her to go back a little to her old habits. Awesome to see the improvement!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's nice to see Alissa do well here. I have to wonder how she will hold up at TEB though, where she has pressure to qualify for the GPF and has Asada, Nagasu, Korpi, and Phaneuf as competition, she could end up winning the whole thing or finish down in like 6th.

fairly4

Medalist
silverlake kind of agree with you, but i am hoping for the best from alissa,
not to mention alissa and rachel put pressure on mirai to medal in china if she wants to make it.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
silverlake kind of agree with you, but i am hoping for the best from alissa,
not to mention alissa and rachel put pressure on mirai to medal in china if she wants to make it.

Very true. Where NHK and SC had several pretty strong skaters, CoC has a few very strong skaters, so Mirai has to be on her game to get on the podium. She is more than capable of winning, but Suzuki and Ando are usually pretty reliable.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I'm going to guess the people at USFSA are seriously considering giving Alissa a bye to Nationals. But if not, she will get another opportunity to polish her programs. :)