Men - Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

yangjie

On the Ice
i just want to say that patrick cant beat Takahashi without any quads.
if takahashi keeps landing quads, Patrick would need it too.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Chan has amazing skills, the best edges and speed and ultra duper flow but his jumps are little small even landed and his spins adequate, plus for now he shows very little emotion and doesn't show the charisma even lets see...Amodio with a crap program had, why is he considered the alpha and omega when he has really flaws, if he skates once in a year a clean program we make a party...

On another note, Fernandez with the cartoon program scored really low, I dont remember how he was scored last year but I rewatched it now and he was fun!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
For me Fernandez is not all that. Well, he's very good looking. But in terms of presentation, he's basically just Amodio without the same amount of soul. A bit less technical prowess as well.

He still deserved to place above Chan in this SP, though.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Chan's score is the most disgusting overscore I've ever seen.

I realize he is in Canada and will get some home advantage, but I keep thinking of Mao who bombed and got no love from the homies. Its quite embarassing and discouraging for the skaters who are coming up and or skating clean.

inskate

On the Ice
While there's no "official", quantified deduction for falls in PCS, I think that the falls can impact those areas that are judged in PCS, and therefore lower the overall score.

For example, the skater intends to do some transitions in/out of the jump. If the skater falls, obviously the transitions out of the jump can't be executed and TR score should reflect that.

If the jumps/steps/spins/etc., are choreographed to highlight the mood of the music, it should bump up the IN score. Obviously if there's a fall, it disrupts the union between the skater and the music.

PE can be affected if the fall takes the wind out of the skater and affects his performance after the fall(s).

And so on and so forth. :)

lisou

On the Ice
Not necessarily, a fall could also take place on connecting steps or just plain skating without it being a RE.

I need to see the protocol.

I see what you mean but considering IIRC he had just skated half of the rink on one foot (which is a level feature) while respecting the SlSt pattern, I definitely think that was his planned SlSt and not any sort of connecting steps. As he (again IIRC) completed half of the pattern, it should have been graded as a SlSt by the technical panel even if that wasn't the intented element (and I'm pretty sure he didn't do another required step sequence).

I'm very curious to see the protocol anyway.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
Chan's score is ridiculous. There's really no way around it. And falls are actually penalized less under the new rules? :sheesh: What's the use of skating clean programs now when skaters like Chan can just plan "complex" choreography and layouts without actually executing them.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I realize he is in Canada and will get some home advantage, but I keep thinking of Mao who bombed and got no love from the homies. Its quite embarassing and discouraging for the skaters who are coming up and or skating clean.

I'm just o_O : it's just so absurd!

It's never been clear to me just what Skating Skills are. I first thought they were about the various turns a skater makes on ice but was corrected that there are more to SS. However, the argument that PC scores have nothing to do with Falls, I would question because there is a bullet in the PC definitions that talks about Interpretation. A Fall does indeed affect Interpretation, musically and emotionally. Why would it not?

Unfortunaely Patrick had 3 Falls. That was unfortunate, but it happens to the best of skaters. Patrick's skating is outstanding when it comes to Flow in a routine. (Oda too.) The other skaters have more than adequate Flow.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, at least we show consistency. The women were relatively clean, but one man had such an awful skate and unearned scores that the men have 20 pages of posts vs 9 for the ladies. Such is the power of the Chan.

ever

Rinkside
Originally Posted by Ginask8s
I'm just o_O : it's just so absurd!

If a skater falls and pops most of jumps. How can judges give her high TES.:laugh:
I think Mao got high PCS even if she fell and poped most of jumps.:think:

If we can see how much point should be cost approximately per fall or pop in PCS.
I think we will be less compused.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Despite the falls, the judges kept Chan in the hunt for a medal with high program component scores, ranging up to 9.25 for skating skills.

"That shows the importance of [good] practices," he said. "The judges know I can do the program. It shows they want me to do well. That's good to know; it definitely cheered me up a little bit."

So isn't this like admitting you are being scored based on reputation?

Layfan

Record Breaker
So isn't this like admitting you are being scored based on reputation?

He said that? :sheesh:

Oh, Chan... ALL THE SKATERS can do their programs in practice. I hope he's not TOO happy that the judges are scoring him because he's "special" even though he wasn't all that special last night.

I think it just came down to the quad - it was his first time (if I'm not mistaken) trying it in competition. No surprise that he fell. But it seems to have gotten to him too much. We'll see tonight. Good luck to him.