Men - Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

gmyers

Record Breaker
No people in skating are more political than Canadians. Falling during a step sequence and two jumps. The PCS is crazy. spins and steps worth far too much. Chan's score is crazy. No crazy GOE for spins and steps. GOE for spins and steps is the same for jumps. That is crazy. Chan's score is crazy. Totally insane. It is like The Twilight Zone where the more falls in skating the better you are.

Oh and I guess he deserves credit for trying a quad but his score is crazy.

Tanja90

On the Ice
I told you all the new -GOE grades were retarded.

Patrick received 6.3 points for falling on a Quadruple Toeloop. And that includes the 1 point deduction. A Quad that receives -3 GOE but doesn't actually have a fall (meaning you can double-foot the jump + step out of it + put both hands down on the ice) is worth 7.3 points.

I'm sorry...but if another skater (like rippon) would have made the same mistakes he would not have received 73 points..not even near them...And it's not that there's a huge margin between patrick and adam's components...and patrick received the highest components if I'm not wrong and this is absurd...

jettasian

Match Penalty
agree..never like him so much...I've seen it in torino and he was...well...saying that joubert gave me more emotion should explain it...however when I saw the two fall I was guessing: 34 for technical 50 for components...-3 points for the falls...so it went better then what I thought :D

You are just one example to many people on this board. No point for discussion if someone has the bias.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Based on the rule, if you are fully rotated, you get the points, isn't it? So how can you ignore that fact and then ***** about the scoring??

Because it means the "rule" is a BAD rule and doesn't reflect the skating properly.

If the government passed a "rule" that cutting your fingers off makes you more patriotic and a better person, would you believe them?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
we'll see if it was fair or not once the protocols are released.

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

I'm going to look outside and see if it is dark or not.

But, wait! I better look at a clock to tell you for sure if it is nighttime or not! Humans eyes and brains can't actually work for themselves. Impossible!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Because it means the "rule" is a BAD rule and doesn't reflect the skating properly.

If the government passed a "rule" that cutting your fingers off makes you more patriotic and a better person, would you believe them?

I guess again it's about separating the judging (application of the scoring system, where you see complaints about politics - gmyers' comment, as an example) and structure. Both are flawed obviously if that skate can score that high. That said, I'd like to see what people thought he should have scored with the system as it is (especially in TES - PCS is too wonky).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I feel sorry for Chan actually. Skate Canada has been throwing these crazy marks at him for a while and I don't think he likes it cuz it just turns people against him. It's not like he asked for it eh.

I don't see him protesting it, either.

jettasian

Match Penalty

Sure, you can ***** about the rules and the GOE and whatever....but no way it's Chan's fault with the mark. And it's the double standard here as well. People only see his bad skate and the high score...and usually overlooked the other quality he has. "I don't care how good he is, he fell" All people only focus on is "he fell". Duh, blame the rule and the GOE and other stuff.

So he did bad in 3 elements, but he's better in other elements......so that's why they were judged.

Johnnnn

On the Ice

But, wait! I better look at a clock to tell you for sure if it is nighttime or not! Humans eyes and brains can't actually work for themselves. Impossible!

What I meant was let's see if he was scored according to the system and system failed us, or he just got crazy unfair scores on the other non-jumping elements.

The The Question again exists: Should the Quad be necessary in a Program?

I really dig that scrawny kid with his determination. It was last year, too, that he doesn't get the scores he deserves. Actually he is is quite musical and he also covers the ice well. I don't predict but I do hope Reynolds wins this after the LP.

Nothing wrong with Nobi. It was his usual skate at his best.

Adam, too, at his best and like Nobi, he covers the ice well.

Alban is the entertainer and did well.

Javier should have been up there with Alban.

Like Gatchinki Chan was disappointing and both were held up in the scores.

I'm not all too sure that 3 falls which not only clash with the tech, but also with the PC can justify a high score. Can anyone explain? Please do not answer with 'there were other things to consider'. Other things like what? All the contestants had 'other things.'

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the pbp and discussion.

I am a huge fan of Chan's skating, and as soon as he started skating, I felt the quality of his skating clearly (imo) exceeded the other skaters (with Rippon very close). But I agree, three falls is well, three too many, and two too many to be in the 70s. I don't blame chan as he is not a judge; but I hope the judges really review this for future purposes, AND I hope the ISU decision makers do too as if a person can score so high with so many mistakes, it is going to make a lot of fans angry. Finally, I agree with other posters that this cannot be helping Chan improve - it really is the wrong message to send him. urgh.

Anyway, it was fun to watch some of these programs - i was happy for fernandez, really enjoyed Rippon and Oda too. Reynolds - wow, good for him, it made the sp very exciting to have his quads.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

ah but I look outside the same time you do, and while you are seeing night, I am still seeing daylight. It all depends on angle, (and in this case) timezone, etc...

Tanja90

On the Ice
You are just one example to many people on this board. No point for discussion if someone has the bias.

excuse me? I said I don't like his skating...can't I have an opinion...I don't say he is a bad skater..just not my taste! but when he skate well I'm one of the first who says he did great he deserves great score but HERE TODAY he hasn't skated well and 73 points are too high for him even if he has other qualities! I say it for him now and I would have sayed it and already did with lambiel, verner, takahashi and all my favourite skaters! that's it.,

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Reynolds for hitting the 2 quads in the SP, still don't like his skating.

Adam and Oda, oh my!! Both Adam and Oda skated clean, artistic and techinically
superior programs. Bravo to them both.

Chan nothing much to say that has not already been said. I am still shaking my head over
that score.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's time like these that I wish for the mushing season... can't really dispute the winner there. first dog nose that crosses the finish line wins... *le sigh*

jettasian

Match Penalty
thanks for the pbp and discussion.

I am a huge fan of Chan's skating, and as soon as he started skating, I felt the quality of his skating clearly (imo) exceeded the other skaters (with Rippon very close). But I agree, three falls is well, three too many, and two too many to be in the 70s. I don't blame chan as he is not a judge; but I hope the judges really review this for future purposes, AND I hope the ISU decision makers do too as if a person can score so high with so many mistakes, it is going to make a lot of fans angry. Finally, I agree with other posters that this cannot be helping Chan improve - it really is the wrong message to send him. urgh.

Anyway, it was fun to watch some of these programs - i was happy for fernandez, really enjoyed Rippon and Oda too. Reynolds - wow, good for him, it made the sp very exciting to have his quads.

I agree that some rules need to be fixed ( I thought the controversy is like every year, what should worth more and what should worth less etc).
But if people think that once a skater make a few mistakes, might as well pack your bag and go home, it's silly. Sure Chan fell on the jumps, since fully rotated, he still earned a few marks...plus other elements that he's more superior than other skaters, those scores added up.
Maybe they should change the rule, if u fall, your jump won't count, or only have 2 points...

skatinginbc

Medalist
I might be in the minority, but when I watched Patrick's 3-fall skating, I noticed a significant improvement in his presentation, reaching out more to the audience. What I said to myself was Wow, what a skate if without the falls. The scoring system might be flawed, but I doubt if the judges or the skater himself were at fault with respect to the "over-score".

Layfan

Record Breaker
Anyway. As it's not Patrick's fault that he was overscored, I wish him the best for the FS. I think HE knows he has to redeem himself even if the judges don't.

I really respect him for trying the quad, especially after being so blase last year about how he didn't need it.

Patrick needs to work on his poker face after mistakes. He always has that shocked expression and it always takes him a bit too long to recover. Especially if he keeps going for the quad this year, he needs to learn how to recover better if he falls on it.