Men - Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

skatinginbc

Medalist
Maybe karma will visit Chan more often on the ice. Does he have a lot of fans. I really like his skating but I couldn't really root for someone like him.

Be nice, or maybe karma will visit you more often on the road. It is not something nice to say to others, is it?

skatinginbc

Medalist
LOL...wut?

Didn't he attack the program with more speed than his performance in Liberty? And with more crispness in his movement? His upper body movement has improved significantly, his poker face is replaced with a fake smile (a working progress, isn't it?) And the flows and deep edges, WOW!!!! His skating skill was already excellent, it is getting even better. It wasn't so bad an attempt for his quad. He rotated and received credit for it. And he rotated 3axel and almost had it if he could hold on the landing. I see improvements, that's all I have to say.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Didn't he attack the program with more speed than his performance in Liberty? .

And didn't a lot of the audience at Liberty think he was wildly over-scored there too, despite landing his quad very nicely (but splatting his 3A) in the SP? His SP win was very controversial and was attributed to him being the highest ranked skater there, not to his skills. When World Champion Mao Asada had a messy program at NHK, she was dumped down in the scoring.

And that's what should have happened to Patrick.

I've seen him skate live several times at Liberty. He's less interesting to watch than Adam Rippon. Chan makes me think, "Sort of nice edges, ho hum, I guess you had the best MITF test score ever honey, but you make me want to stab my eyes out with a pencil I'm so bored. And your trademark splats are dreadful."

And for charisma and reaching out to the audience, the biggest audience response did not go to eikther Chan or Rippon. It went to Ryan Bradley.

The performance mark is just not used correctly at all.

skatinginbc

Medalist
And his splats showed impressive ice coverage.:agree:

I don't agree with the score either, but it is not an "overscore". It is a flaw inherited in the most recent scoring system, which encourages the attempt of high risk items and reduces the penalty for falls. He wouldn't have been so lucky if he was judged under the last year's system, and he probably wouldn't have attempted the quad in the short if the rules remained unchanged. People hate him because he knew how to adapt to the newest rules. I am happy he was outrageously scored, so rules would be revisited sooner than later. It is not a blatant injustice nor the end of the world. It is part of revolution--I am talking about the judging system--finding imperfect areas, making amendment, not working, making amendment again......

Oh, yes. He does have impressive ice coverage and it is no joke.

seniorita

Record Breaker
That's my boy! :laugh:
But you didn't.
But you didn't.
I think you were misquoted here, Pat. I think what you actually said was, "I have a lot of hard work before me. My goal this season is to deliver clean programs."

That way you can cheer yourself up, and you don't have to depend on being cheered up by the judges. :yes:
:laugh:I didnt think you could be so snarky mathman!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And for charisma and reaching out to the audience, the biggest audience response did not go to eikther Chan or Rippon. It went to Ryan Bradley.

That's because Bradley plays to the crowd, and is the boy next door in looks, and sexy and and and and :love:

Speaking of Bradley he said something on Twitter that got people excited earlier. Asking if one could make a comeback before being gone for a year... could he be thinking of trying nationals?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Finally I was able to watch the Sps this AM, and now that's it's lunchtime I can give my thoughts: :)

Kevin Reynolds was a joy to watch! *clapping* He reminds me so much of a very young Plushenko, and when he eventually fills-out as he matures into a man I hope to see the same kind of power in his skating as Zhenya has. Still, he has a long ways to go to become the next Evgeni, which also includes a straight up & down posture on the ice, p-r-e-s-e-n-c-e, and power & height in his jumps. But I can already see it, the whole time he was skating I was envisioning him in a few years time. I'd love to see them both on the ice at Sochi in 2014 (crossing my fingers). As it stands now they are still the only two men in f.s. history to complete a 4-3-3 in competiton (of course Evgeni was the first): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article673977.ece

Nobunari Oda was also a joy to watch skate. The music, the skater, the choreography, et al, just flowed from one element to the next ~ perfect vehicle for him ~ all the time I see him skate I see the famous Japanese warlord he descends from, Nobunaga Oda. He does his ancestor proud!

Adam Rippon was lovely as always, but I don't particularly care for the frou frou top he was wearing, it didn't show off his beautiful line, rather it makes him look a little hunched back like Timothy Goebel, instead of John Curry, whom he reminds me of. Beautiful skate, but he really does need to master the quad in order to stand on World & Olympic podiums imho. And I expect him to...

Patrick Chan reminds me so much of the male version of Sasha Cohen in every single way. I can't wait to see this program skated cleanly without falls, but even with the falls the program & skater shined in the way Sasha Cohen shined at the 2006 Olympics when she fell 2 times in the FS but still won the silver due to her superiority in everything else but jumps. But that said, it's good to keep in mind that *jumps* is an important criteria, and has been since the days of Sonja Henie & Gillis Grafstrom (I would love to know what they think...)

Nobody else really stood out to me except the Zhenya look-a-like with his Pink Floyd program, but nothing compares to the original, c'est la vie.

NOW ONTO WATCH THE FS!!!! :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Oops, have to post my Mens LP thoughts here, as the official thread is now closed: (8^o

Don't have time to read all 26 pages of this thread, but wanted to add my own, lol, as I just now watched the Mens Lps on IN: :) And here are my thoughts:

Kevin Reynolds could have easily won this competition hands down, that was the huge disappointment for me personally as a fan of his. :( Oddly, the same thing happened to him at 2010 4CC, where he was the leader after the SP (here he almost tied for the lead with Oda). And he said the reason why he fell apart in the LP at 4CC was because he wasn't used to being in the lead. Well, Kev, you better get used to being in the lead here on in with those two quads you have in the SP & the two in the LP, nobody else but you does it! *clapping* I think you worked so much this past summer on being the first man in history to land two quads in the SP (which you did, yeah!), that you let slide your other jumps, namely the 3A. Once you land everything you have planned you'll dominate!!!!! My God, I can't believe how far you've come in one year -- your SP was great, but your LP was phenomenal! Loved every beautiful second of it...like a dream your choreography & execution...long beautiful classical lines, spiral into 3T gorgeous, every element flowed from one to the other, it was over way too soon, and that's the truth. I could've watched you all day long. Ah....

Adam Rippon was my second favorite program. Beautiful classical skater in the same vein as John Curry. Loved the whole thing ~ music, choreography, skater, program, et al ~ only thing I was disappointed in was the shaky landings on some of his jumps, and most importantly no quad. This entire competition was a definite wake-up call for both you & your coach. Without the quad, you can't win unless those that quad fall, and that's not the way to win. And you won't settle for anything less, as it should be.

Patrick Chan was a delight as well! He reminds me of Adam Rippon in not only body type but classical style as well, and lol both had shaky landings on their jumps in the FS. Except Patrick has now joined the elite ~ he quads!!!!! *clapping* Because he nows quads, his skating just went up a notch, and that means he's a danger to everybody else out there. That said, the fall here, but especially the 3 falls in the SP leaves me uneasy. Yes, he definitely deserved to medal, but I'm not sure what color, yet. Then again, those above him threw the competition away with their own faults, especially Kevin Reynolds, who could've easily won this competition if he had landed everything he planned. Therefore, I'm not really outraged, it's not the Olympics after all. That's a whole other ballgame. I honestly cannot remember a skater that has ever won the gold with a fall in either the SP or especially the LP. Now that would be a true outrage, which is the reason why Daisuke Takahashi rightfully finished in 3rd at the 2010 Olympics, because of the fall on the quad.

Nobunari Oda's FS was a bit of a letdown for me, actually a huge letdown, I expected more from him in terms of choreography, et al. The SP was such a masterpiece, which makes it all the more painful to see his LP. No choreography, no beginning/middle/ending, no nothing. I didn't like it at all, unfortunately, because I really like Nobunari himself. And he threw away what little lead he had after the SP when he fell in the LP. Better luck next time, warlord!

That's it, nobody else impressed me in the FS, just the aforementioned top dogs. :)

skatinginbc

Medalist
I don't like the final result. I think Oda should have won the gold. But I don't have any problem with the judges, nor do I think there is any scandal. I hope some of the rules would be revisited soon. And I believe they will. So, all in all, it will be a happy ending.

Kevin Reynolds was a joy to watch! *clapping* He reminds me so much of a very young Plushenko, and when he eventually fills-out as he matures into a man I hope to see the same kind of power in his skating as Zhenya has. Still, he has a long ways to go to become the next Evgeni, which also includes a straight up & down posture on the ice, p-r-e-s-e-n-c-e, and power & height in his jumps. But I can already see it, the whole time he was skating I was envisioning him in a few years time. I'd love to see them both on the ice at Sochi in 2014 (crossing my fingers). As it stands now they are still the only two men in f.s. history to complete a 4-3-3 in competiton (of course Evgeni was the first): http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article673977.ece
Kevin van der Perren did it last season, didn't he? (I have a terrible memory so correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have a hard time taking Reynolds seriously - that scarecrow hair is really offputting and with his funny face he can't afford horrible hair too. He smoothed it down at least once last year and looked a million times better. More importantly, his ability to perform with style seems to be very off and on. Off in the SP (haven't seen the FP yet). Quads are great, but they have to be integrated into a program to excite me... unless the quality is just amazing (like Kevin VDP's last year).

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn't realize while I was at the competition that I had witnessed a landmark moment when Reynolds landed those two quads in the SP. It's awesome that another Canadian man has made history with his jumps!
:party2:

Add me to the list of disgruntled fans who are annoyed with Chan's overscoring. :scowl: At least for me, the mistakes were more jarring to witness live than on TV, so they totally disrupted the "flow" of the performance. If a skater like Abbott had fallen 3 times in his SP, the judges wouldn't give him a score above 70.

It was a bit unusual for me to see Berntsson skate to a slow, gentle piano piece (he seems to prefer music which is more lively and playful), but I really like the idea behind his SP. It's just unfortunate that Kristoffer struggled with his jumps, so I couldn't fully enjoy the performance.

I couldn't tell you much about Fernandez's SP because I was completely distracted by his eyesore of a costume. :unsure: A 2-dimensional screen doesn't fully capture how gaudy it is in real life!

seniorita

Record Breaker
KVDP did a 4toe-3toe-3toe at worlds, Plushenko had done 4t-3t-3loop, what did Renolds do?I

champs

Final Flight
KVDP did a 4toe-3toe-3toe at worlds, Plushenko had done 4t-3t-3loop, what did Renolds do?I

It was a 4Toe-3Toe-3Loop:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns08/results/sd2.pdf

I remember a clip of Kurt Browning giving a special remark on that attempt in the recap after men's free skating during the Canadian nationals broadcast.

And here's Kevin's 4Sal-3Toe-3Loop in practice at 2010 Worlds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQlWtZfLRFM
and this was probably the umpteenth time he did this combo in practice.