Ladies - Free Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Free Program

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm glad Alissa won. She skated a really nice program. It's too bad the winner couldn't be clean, but oh well. I thought they were gonna put Ksenia ahead of her, honestly. I'm happy for Amelie to win her first GP medal (I think this is her first?) but sad for Cynthia. I'm also sad for Fumie. She really is a shadow of her former skating self. I was mad that people were down on her continuing skating, but now I see what they meant. She looked totally dispassionate out there, too. Valentina Marchei is pretty good. I'd never seen her. It's too bad they said she suffers from 'nerve problems.'

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Congrats Alissa on your new international competition personal bests for Free skate and Final score. Interestingly, the last two that she broke were also set at Skate Canada. Her Short program ISU personal best, set at Skate Canada 2009 is 63.52.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ksenia Makarova's LP is unfortunate. She's skating to the same music as Kiira Korpi this season, but her music cut is not nearly as good. The choreography isn't either and that's even without the Blades-of-Passion updates to Korpi's program that she will be incorporating later in the season. :cool:

I'm SO happy to see the improvement in Alissa's skating. Her Triple Toeloop is much bigger now and her Loop is improving as well. Her Lutz and Flip already saw improvement to the takeoffs a couple years ago, those haven't really changed (and could still be better), but they seem to be getting more consistent which is great!

Her new programs are actually not that great IMO (I love the placement of the 3Loop in the LP, though, the way the music gets completely quiet and all we hear are the takeoff and landing edges of the jump) but it's great to see the maturity, flow, and positions from her that are lacking from most everyone else.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
LOOOOOOOOOL, Amelie Lacoste. She took nearly the exact structure of Michelle Kwan's Scheherazade program and formatted it to her own CoP abilities. She even does a Triple Flip in the same haunting spot of the music as Kwan did. :eek:

It's sad how one of Michelle Kwan's "weaker" programs is still choreographically and interpretively better than almost anything we've seen under the CoP rules up to this point.

Resultingly, Amelie's borrowed CoP Kwan program is choreographically better than the majority of other CoP programs. Good on her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why was Phaneuf looking so angry in the KnC after her FS. She seemed to be furious at her score. Was she annoyed that the judges didn't hold her up the way they did Patrick?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the moment Agnes will have to live and die with her jumps. The first thing I would say is that it's surprising she is supposedly training a 3A and had a shaky 2A in her SP and fell on it in her LP.

Not surprising at all. The timing for a 3A is completely different from that for a 2A, and working on the harder jump sometimes has the effect of disrupting the timing for the easier one.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why was Phaneuf looking so angry in the KnC after her FS. She seemed to be furious at her score. Was she annoyed that the judges didn't hold her up the way they did Patrick?

The mens event was so corrupt (and the Canadians in general so overscored here) I wouldnt be surprised if all the Canadian entries were gauranteed inflated scores and results before the event even started. Cynthia probably was indeed surprised to get the scores they actually deserved, and probably was dissapointed to not be held up blatantly like most of her teammates, especialy Chan. Maybe the judges could already sense the negative buzz after the mens event and decided to pull back on their original plans to gift a weak performance by Phaneuf withs all 8s and 9s in PCS.

evangeline

Record Breaker
The mens event was so corrupt (and the Canadians in general so overscored here) I wouldnt be surprised if all the Canadian entries were gauranteed inflated scores and results before the event even started. Cynthia probably was indeed surprised to get the scores they actually deserved, and probably was dissapointed to not be held up blatantly like most of her teammates, especialy Chan. Maybe the judges could already sense the negative buzz after the mens event and decided to pull back on their original plans to gift a weak performance by Phaneuf withs all 8s and 9s in PCS.

Um, guys, time to take off the tin hats and point the antennae towards another planet....

Cynthia was indeed not looking happy in the K&C, but it was probably due to disappointment at her own performance (like any other skater in her position would feel).

R.D.

Record Breaker
To me, she seemed more disappointed at her own mediocre performance. Of course, if she'd skated her FS like she did her SP, they'd have given her 120+ to ensure the victory over Czisny.

brightphoton

Medalist

Oh fer cryin' out loud ...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Re: the Canadians allegedly being told they were getting inflated scores (alleged by one poster on here, that is), Chan was the only one who actually did get inflated scores. I don't know why - maybe the judges are seeing something live that we're not seeing from the television (although I know some people on this board HAVE seen Chan live, me too, except like five years ago). I don't think the pairs really were overscored, nor the dancers in the SD, or Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The pairs were overscored too. The Canadian pair that nearly won last night would not have gotten a score of nearly 120 points with a big fall and a couple other close landings anywhere else. They are not that good yet.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: the Canadians allegedly being told they were getting inflated scores (alleged by one poster on here, that is), Chan was the only one who actually did get inflated scores. I don't know why - maybe the judges are seeing something live that we're not seeing from the television (although I know some people on this board HAVE seen Chan live, me too, except like five years ago). I don't think the pairs really were overscored, nor the dancers in the SD, or Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten.

agreed. I dont believe its a national bias as much as a chan bias. Reynolds and Ten were scored fairly. Or maybe in the case of reynolds sp unfairly since the judges basically told him chan was better with three falls than he was with his two quads.

It was nice to see Alyssa keep her composure throughout her skate. She truly is an excellent skater. As with Fernandez and the Men, Alyssa had a clean skate with no partial negatives.

Agreed, but there's no denying the politics Skate Canada employs.

Interesting comment. It makes me think of the power of the BIG Federations over the little ones. How many skaters - not from a big fed - have actually won or even podiumed in a competition. Lambiel, Yuna, and that wonderful dance team from Bulgaria, and who else?