Master and Commander | Golden Skate

Master and Commander

southwest wind

Rinkside
Wow what action!

What sailing! What a hunk (Crowe, not the ship)!

If you go see this, when the scene comes up that they are going around Cape Horne. It is blowing stink and there is driven snow. As they pan down along the ship, there is a poor person sitting with his pants about his ankles at the "heads" of the ship. On such men of war ships, the toilet was at the bow, under the bowsprit, in the rigging that supports that forward sails. It must have been really cold. You have to watch close.

I noticed in the credits at least two of the "sailors" were women.

:eek:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
southwest wind:

I too wrote a great review of this movie, but so far no one has responded. Are we the only two here at GS that have seen it? I thought it was awesome!

I just purchased the CD - I loved the music.

cygnus

Rinkside
I saw the movie tonight and loved it! I haven't read any of the PO'B books, but I have read the Hornblower ones, and love all of the Hornblower A&E movies.
I loved the way the movie really made you feel like you were at sea- the sailing round the Horn scenes actually made me feel a bit seasick.

I liked the Maturin character especially, and the Galapagos scenes and the musical scenes were among my favourites in the movie.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, I responded to your thread on Master and Commander and also love this movie. I am ready and willing to see it again. Russell Crowe is the new Mel Gibson, as far as I am concerned. I saw him in "Gladiator" and "A Beautiful Mind", but this is by far my favorite role for him. 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
southwest wind:

Guess what! I came across a Master and Commander poster - with Russell Crowe on one side and the ship on the other - at work - I work in a College bookstore - the poster was at the bottom of a box of books!

southwest wind

Rinkside
Lad
Today I was on a lab tour in a sister lab to my company. One of the sample prep guys had a large poster up of the ship right where he would look up when he finished a sample. Perhaps it was the same one that you mentioned. What a way to day dream! It caught me so much by surprise that I am still smiling. Having space out time is such a good thing.

Our parent company has just said they are going to sponsor Alinghi for the America's Cup defense so I think I will have to see if I can come up high enough on the corporate radar to get a ticket to some North American promo event.

i am so envious of you living in/near Vancouver so you can sail or at least see boats in the winter. Mine is on the hard in Midland (near Barrie) sitting out the hurricanes and the snow (we got our first "dump" today, 5 cm here, 20 over at the boat)

Here's to summer coming sooner rather than later

sww

:laugh: :eek: