Skate Canada GALA/ EXHIBITION programs :) | Golden Skate

Skate Canada GALA/ EXHIBITION programs :)

Nadine

Record Breaker
I saw this one late last night & cried...because it was so incredibly beautiful:

Kevin Reynolds ("Over the Rainbow" by Harry Connick Jr.) ~ I think this will be a signature piece for Kevin, already when I hear the music I think of Kevin's poignantly breathtaking rendition of this classic piece of music. It had everything, such a perfect union of skater & music, he was made for this piece. His fey-like otherworldly appearance, along with his beautiful long classic lines, shown to perfection when he glides into & out of triple jumps in a stretched camel position, is pure poetry. Ah, and then when he runs across the ice when Harry sings way above the chimney tops that's where you'll find me he literally b-e-c-a-m-e the music. And not only there, but everywhere! Like Peter Pan on skates, he makes one dream that anything is possible, I know Michael Jackson would've loved Kevin's skate. :) And lest I forget, his spins were also pure poetry, to go along with the music, especially the variation on the headless spin at the very end, as well as the very last one to end it all. :)^)

For me personally, Kevin is the love child of three of my all-time favorite skaters ~ Evgeni Plushenko, Oksana Baiul, and Sarah Hughes (a touch of Sonja Henie as well) ~ and that's the best compliment I've ever paid to any skater, bar none.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Boy, the lighting for this wasn't very TV friendly, was it ? I'm know if I was in the audience, I wouldn't have minded if the house lights were up a bit. They don't get that much in the way of rehearsal and the spots often don't manage to follow the skaters perfectly..so it would probably be better for the live audience ,as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd love to see Kevin skate to Enigma's Beyond the Invisible.
He has just the fey quality the music needs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh1BJUL0P7M

(the intro is rather long. The song starts at about the 53 second mark. Rahkamo & Kokko make an appearance!)

His spiral, his headless spin, and his final combo spin were absolutely lovely.

I'd rather watch Kevin than Patrick.

Last edited:

callalily

On the Ice
^ Actually, I think the problem was with the TV broadcast. The lighting was just fine for the spectators in the arena. It wasn't overly dark at all.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I love Enigma, I still recall Oksana Baiul's fabulous program to "Sadeness" by them. :)

p.s. still haven't watched anybody else yet, will do so when I get the time, as I've heard great things about the other skaters as well.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon "Cinema Paradiso" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVUYGzFisY) ~ really lovely exhibition by Adam, the music immediately makes me think of Christmas, and he reminds me of male ballerina inside a music box. :) Gorgeous double Russian Split Jumps in succession, beautiful spread eagle, and superbly done skid spiral all reminiscent of Sasha Cohen. As with Patrick Chan, Adam Rippon also reminds me of Sasha, but even moreso in Adam's case because he has her classic balletic movements on ice. And I still think one day Adam will stand on an Olympic Podium.

emma

Record Breaker
Adam Rippon "Cinema Paradiso" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVUYGzFisY) ~ really lovely exhibition by Adam, the music immediately makes me think of Christmas, and he reminds me of male ballerina inside a music box. :) Gorgeous double Russian Split Jumps in succession, beautiful spread eagle, and superbly done skid spiral all reminiscent of Sasha Cohen. As with Patrick Chan, Adam Rippon also reminds me of Sasha, but even moreso in Adam's case because he has her classic balletic movements on ice. And I still think one day Adam will stand on an Olympic Podium.

this, too, was very lovely. thanks!