Men - short program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Men - short program

champs

Final Flight
I'm glad that Jinlin Guan tried a quad. Hopefully he will keep attempting ones and will land a clean one soon.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Kozuka: Little startled with how bring that was, truth be told. I quite like him and thought his program last season was a masterpiece, but for a program entitled "Soul Man" it was startlingly paint by numbers

Joubert: He's hot and he's revitalized. He's just not my cup of tea. He's so clearly thinking his way through everything and "acting." It doesn't come naturally to him at all - the hands in particular (I actually think Abbott's movement was far more natural). That said, I'm definitely looking forward him to expanding his horizons here.

Verner: Ehh, expected more. Lovely ending though.

Machinda: Ehh. Love that he postponed his final jump until after two spins though.

Contesti: My goodness he's lost a lot of weight. I'd actually rather watch him than Bradley any day of the week, but he really does look scary thing now. Hopefully he's okay.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Since my blinkety blankety feed was frozen about 98 % of the time I'm madly catching up with youtubes today..

Glad to see the top 3 all do so well. I always love Kozuka's skating , and this program looks more comfortable on him than it did in the summer.I just love the way he moves.. Verner has a really charming program.. some very nice Gene Kelly inspired touches.. and it's so good to see him with the same costume on both sides of his body ( I know he didn't do it just for me , but I want to thank him from the bottom of my heart !) You can actually appreciate his grace and ease ..no distracting odd sleeves.. yay!..and Joubert ! OMG..he's sticking to the new choreo. so far. I can hardly believe it..No skin show in the costume, and I didn't see any hip wiggling / pelvic thrusting. There was a moment or two at his opening when the camera had his upper body in tight focus...maybe there , but if not, I don't know what bigsis.. was referring to. He does skate right up to the judges and do some fast toepick-stepping..toned way down IMO. His footwork seemed more inovative than what I've seen in the past. Bravo, Brian!

Very enjoyable SP competition for me...:biggrin:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So I'm not the only one who noticed that Contesti looks a bit...um, manorexic? I wonder if he was sick this summer or something, he's clearly lost a lot of weight and it's hurt his jumping ability. He looked really pale too.

ae9177

On the Ice
thanks!

I like Verner's program the best, he's a natural charmer and lovely performer. he skated with so much grace, fluidity and personality. I can watch this over and over again. Don't understand the low score tho, especially comparing to Chan's 73+ SP with 3 falls!

Joubert's Flemenco reminds me so much of Lambiel's 07 LP, too many similarities between the choreography. I do appreciate his effort to improve his artistry, but he's still not Lambiel, it looked ... forced. That said, I would still put him ahead of Kozuka.

Kozuka has very nice SS, enjoy watching him gliding around, but this program is just boring and bland.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
thanks!

I like Verner's program the best, he's a natural charmer and lovely performer. he skated with so much grace, fluidity and personality. I can watch this over and over again. Don't understand the low score tho, especially comparing to Chan's 73+ SP with 3 falls!

Joubert's Flemenco reminds me so much of Lambiel's 07 LP, too many similarities between the choreography. I do appreciate his effort to improve his artistry, but he's still not Lambiel, it looked ... forced. That said, I would still put him ahead of Kozuka.

Kozuka has very nice SS, enjoy watching him gliding around, but this program is just boring and bland.

ITA on all accounts. Verner I think lost levels in his spins, the first one didn't have any change of position so obviously a level 1, and where he did 3f-3t as his combo the new lower GOE factoring applied. Joubert also lost levels on his spins apparently, and then the 3a cost both of them a few points at least. Had he not done 4t-3t as his combo, his score might have been lower than Verner's. Skate Canada was ridiculous score wise but if you think back to NHK, no one broke 80 in the SP, Amodio got 70 points, Abbott about 74 and then Takahashi 78 so it's very similar to the top 3 here. Only one step sequence now too so that makes a difference as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My impressions - I was half watching the Universal Broadcast tonight because I'm packing, but I did watch the top boys...

First off, what was with the Karate Kid hand motions from Brian Joubert? They were lame, and he was in the wrong movie! LOL The program was not that exciting for me. I love that piece of music even though it's used way too often in skating, and normally not very well. This was another one of those times.

Kozuka's first half of his program as ddduuuuulllllllll. And I was like Peter when the Soul Man part came on. Channel Dan Akroyd and John Belushi a bit (and no, I'm not dating myself, they were off of SNL/Dead long before I was born)!!! Or do something, have some FUN with that program. Hopefully by Worlds that thing just flies, otherwise it's going to put the audience to sleep.

And just as a note to Men's Skating - Singing in the Rain is off limits :laugh: Kurt still owns it, those that have tried since don't come close to doing that music justice.

Alright, back to packing.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Oh, my! Joubert was behind Kozuka?:disapp: I hope Joubert could skate better in LP and win this competition. I like Kozuka's skating but his SP music seems, in most part, un-related to his skating.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I'm very late watching CoC (waking up at 2 does not work for me at all!). I finally watched mens sp.

As stated before, the first half of the comp had some interesting choreography, so it pays to watch the entire comp sometimes.

Kozuka: that was so boring, yet I still love watching him. I just wish he was more extroverted, or at least pretend.

Joubert: When I heard that they both were doing flamenco during the summer, I figure Jeremy's would be more subtle and Joubert's would be... definitely not subtle. As it turns out, I like the macho flamenco more than the subtle one. I also noticed the ninja moves, which made me laugh every time.

Verner: he is so charming!!!! I love almost every program he has done, this just continues his streak.

Mroz: His look just doesn't work. He looks like a Joubert clone, but has programs that look so outdated and would suit a more classic skater. His physique, costume, and choreography seems so mismatched that it makes for a very confusing SP. Essentially, I don't understand who he is from the way he skates (as opposed to the previous 3 men mentioned above, they show their personality in their skating)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The level requirements are ridiculous. If you do a spin with a difficult variation it's still only Level 1. You have to do 2 variations to get to Level 2. Joubert got no credit for the variations he did since others weren't counted. I understand why (his variation in the upright spin didn't count as "difficult" and his difficult variation in the Change-of-Foot spin goes too, thus becoming an "intermediate position", which only counts in combination spins) but it's still mainly just arbitrary rule nonsense. Spins should be scored mostly on GOE value.

euroskate

Final Flight
The level requirements are ridiculous. If you do a spin with a difficult variation it's still only Level 1. You have to do 2 variations to get to Level 2. Joubert got no credit for the variations he did since others weren't counted. I understand why (his variation in the upright spin didn't count as "difficult" and his difficult variation in the Change-of-Foot spin goes too, thus becoming an "intermediate position", which only counts in combination spins) but it's still mainly just arbitrary rule nonsense. Spins should be scored mostly on GOE value.

your post is just bulls**t. joubert is just not felxible enough for doing really difficult positions. he should also work on his general positions.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oh please. Joubert has gotten ALL Level 4's on his spins in past performances. He's hardly incapable of increasing his levels, the judges simply didn't credit him for the variations he did at this competition.

Joubert's speed, centering, and general positions are not bad. He didn't deserve to get hammered on his spins. It speaks to the fault in the way spins are scored. Levels should be worth less and GOE should be worth more. Quality over cramming in positions that are only there to satisfy a rather arbitrary rule.

euroskate

Final Flight
Oh please. Joubert has gotten ALL Level 4's on his spins in past performances. He's hardly incapable of increasing his levels, the judges simply didn't credit him for the variations he did at this competition.

Joubert's speed, centering, and general positions are not bad. He didn't deserve to get hammered on his spins.

what you write is just not true. First it´s not the judges who give the levels - it´s the technical penal. and sorry, but i cannot see a single feature he did not get credit for in THIS short program. maybe he can do it, but he clearly didn´t show it in THIS short programm. on the contrary he is lucky that he received any level for the combo and the change sit because there was NO clear upright spin in the combo - just the final wind up wich is normaly not counting - and in the change sit spin he was quite on the boarder of beeing to high - especially in the difficult position he was trying. I saw the program and I know the rules. there was nothing wrong with the decision of the technical panel in this short program

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Joubert got level 4 on spins when they were inflating his scores. I don't think his spins are anywhere near a 4 imo.

Joubert: When I heard that they both were doing flamenco during the summer, I figure Jeremy's would be more subtle and Joubert's would be... definitely not subtle. As it turns out, I like the macho flamenco more than the subtle one. I also noticed the ninja moves, which made me laugh every time.
I use to enjoy Joubert's programs but now the moves that he does just makes me laugh.