Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.6 2:00 am | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance Preview and Virtual Program Nov.6 2:00 am

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They seem really focussed on winning Euros and medalling at Worlds this year, and I think they will do it!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes, and Tessa Virtue's skirts were long all last season, and especially in the flamenco OD, she managed them very expertly and without tripping. Clearly Linichuk should take lessons from Shpilband & Zoueva (and of course, Tessa) on skirt management on ice.

If you recall, though, Tanith and Ben had issues with several costumes' skirts... one was in the OD at the olympics in 2006!

missysays

On the Ice
Good job for P/B. I've noticed how focused and intent they are this year. I can feel the drive to win. I think in many ways out of all the couples on the ice dance circuit today they are the best at portraying different characters. V/M and D/W have something to learn from them in that respect.

But my favorite programs- even with the disasters- were F/S's. I've been so impressed with their choices over the past few years. They pick music and concepts that are recognizable and accessible such as Godfather or Flamenco or Moonlight Sonata but then they add an interesting twist to the interpretation with original choreographic moves and highlights. I've been so engaged in their storytelling on the ice. Even this Flamenco/ Bull Fight, while they definitely don't have their feet under them technically, they have some of the most interesting movement that is original and fitting to the music. Those swirling lifts even with the skirt problems were beautiful. I hope that they're able to get their costume issues under control and spend the time to really work on getting more comfortable with the technical part so that this year's set of programs can really sing for them.

You know there's practice footage up on their personal website that shows them practicing the flamenco with a long skirt but I think it looks even longer than this competition skirt but it's heavier and maybe the material doesn't spread out in quite the same way. I quite liked both sets of costuming- even the bright blue matador and gold braid worked for me. The red dress except for the treacherous skirt was a gorgeous simple costume.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
From the live view in the arena: IMO, the tech panel/judges got the competition placements right. From above comments, I know some of you watching the screen disagree on the Russians, but I assure you, it was darn obvious in real-time they deserved 2nd place over F/S....

P/B were simply wonderful, light on their feet, effortless skating, and extremely enjoyable to watch. They looked like they’d been doing this dance forever, and were having fun doing it. Well deserved first place. I’m appreciating them a lot more than I did the past two years.

B/S were clearly next best and deserved second. Except for a little issue with the first twizzles, their elements and their general skating were obviously high quality. They also worked their skating to interpret the music climax well in that excellently Russian way. Good music for their style, and good choreography. I'm the first to look for skullduggery and sneaky backroom deals when it comes to judging Russians, and I couldn't make a case for it in this competition.

F/S—oh that fall where she slipped off his legs was just weird and I think it surprised them too. However, even without that mistake, I don’t think they would have passed the Russians and definitely not the French. They do have great skating skills and edgework. Though they look good out there , this dance just didn’t do anything for me. Maybe the program looked great on-screen, but there was something very Not Right about it. I don't know how to express it in words. But I completely and absolutely disagree with the above poster--and I usually count F/S as one of my favorites. Maybe we’re back to the knotty problem of how to effectively present/interpret Spanish/Latin dances on the ice. BTW, her dress was gorgeous but the length of the skirt had me going :eek: after what happened in the SD.

Hoff/Zav actually did a pretty good job, but that music was too weird and overpowering. Fortunately, H/Z attacked it pretty well with power and speed, plus with her dramatic flair, it kind of worked out. The first half was OK, but then the program eventually got repetitive and boring, they slowed down a bit during the second half, then had a lame ending. I didn’t care for it, and wonder why they didn’t pick a better vehicle to show off their skills. If this had been a stronger field of dancers, they would have been lucky to hold on to 4th place.

H/Zheng were pleasantly forgettable. This program seemed very simple in lift elements and basic skating. I’m not seeing improvements in this team yet, and I liked their last year’s programs better.

Hubbells might have ended up in 5th except for that SD disaster. The jazzy upbeat number had some pretty good tricks in it, but the interstitial basic skating was sloppy. They are what I call “heavy on their feet” (both programs) and this makes them seem slow. I’m not sure at this stage in their career, this is cureable. If they can’t fix this and soon, I think they’re not likely to move up the ranks of US dancers, much less international. I’m hard pressed to remember another recent team from anywhere, whose boots seemed to be made of lead.

Ralph/Hill—Very interesting vocal version of “Summertime”. I liked it. They weren’t fast and seemed a little cautious, but the languid pace of the music covered this pretty well. They did have a few technical troubles here and there but it was a pleasant performance. The costumes were simple (he looked like he was in street clothes, lol) but it works for this number. The dynamic and pacing is too even throughout, I wish they could work in a section with a faster tempo. They could improve and do more with this program. Nice team, I want to see more.

Other: Yu/Wang’s program is a big improvement over last years CATS. I like the program itself better than Huang/Zheng. Guan/Wang are pleasant to watch but need lots more time to develop. Unfortunately, I arrived at the rink just after Cannuscio/Lorello skated so I did not see their Free Dance

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
nope...it was during the 07 Tango OD from nationals (Im not sure wich exact comp it was) :)

Hmmm, maybe that's it then, but I remember them having issue with her twizzles and skirt in Torino, not at nationals. :laugh: oh well.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Pechelat/Bourzat: They were clean. They were too frighteningly close to D/W’s scores at NHK for my taste. You know, for such a unique team (the range of styles they attempt, the metaphors they try to invoke) how they remain so boring for me personally I don’t understand. I didn’t feel Chaplin from this at all. Uninteresting lifts. I will just have to admit that I don’t get this team at all.

Bobrova/Soloviev: On the other hand, there first lift was just exquisite. I’m in love with their line. I’m willing to be convinced, but I do hope this program grows by the end of the season. Also, lets hear it for Russian costume design that’s gorgeous, detailed and subtle.

Faiella/Scali: Ice dancing men tend to be very attractive, and Scali might be the most gorgeous of them all. If he skated with Cappellini the overload of beauty might be too much. She’s so one note, but this vehicle works for one note. Reusing lifts is not attractive. Some lovely linking moves (the one right before the spin was my favourite). Once they fix the dress problems, the second lift will be awesome. But this isn’t my favourite program of theirs. I happen to think that their program last season was a masterpiece and I really enjoyed their “Moonlight Sonata” as mimes/clowns. I wanna withhold judgement until I see it clean though (one question: I’ve always wondered how effectively coaches work with skaters when both sides are functioning in second languages.).

Hoffman/Zavozin: The tonal shift really wrecks this program. I liked it when it was trash-goth-horror. They tried though, but they’re gonna see themselves tumble out of the top ten this season without major improvements.

Hubbells: You know, I genuinely thought that this team would benefit from being the top American team not in the Zueva/Shpilband estate. Guess not.

Ralph/Hill: When Paul/Islam pass you at Nationals, you’ll have only yourself to blame.

oleada

Record Breaker
Pechelat/Bourzat: They were clean. They were too frighteningly close to D/W’s scores at NHK for my taste. You know, for such a unique team (the range of styles they attempt, the metaphors they try to invoke) how they remain so boring for me personally I don’t understand. I didn’t feel Chaplin from this at all. Uninteresting lifts. I will just have to admit that I don’t get this team at all.

I couldn't disagree more. I loved, loved, loved this dance. It's the only dance that I've cared enough to rewatch multiple times. They had a clear theme that they carried from the moment they stepped onto the ice, had great connection with each other and the audience, and their dance was intricate and had tons of little details that fit right into the theme of the skate. As for the lifts, I loved the one where he does kind of a twist thing. Everything flowed beautifully. The twizzles could've been done a little better (but that's nitpicking), but the dance spin was the only weak element, IMO. Going to Finlandia/Nebelhorn was a really good strategy.

As for it being close to D/W's score - it should be! D/W had an intricate program, but it came off as really busy, with messy lines and I don't think the tango suits Meryl at all. It seemed to highlight her weaknesses: poor leg line and piking forward at the waist. To me, their dance was one level 4 element after another without any real feel for the music and lacking the romantic chemistry a tango requires. I don't doubt that they will perform the dance better as the season goes on, but the NHK performance was a bit rough still.

Goes to show you how subjective ice dance can be.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. True. Indeed, I actually thought D/W scored a 96 at NHK, not 98. But keeping in mind that where D/W started last season was roughly where P/B FINISHED in terms of scoring, that they were within eight points (which I thought was six) rather frightened me. Yes, D/W need to grow with this skate, and yes - they weren't (@ NHK) what I hope they wll be.

2. You know, I see the attempt to carry through the theme. But I don't see it being successful. Pechalat in particular seemed to go blank at the oddest times and that doesn't seem in keeping with my knowledge of Chaplin films.

3. I haven't rewatched any dance yet. I'll wait until the next GP event.

4. Is it wierd that we haven't seen any dance team twice, but we've seen quite a few pairs twice (C/Y, I/M, P/T)?

oleada

Record Breaker
Pechalat is playing a blind girl...maybe that is the reason for the blank expression?
I thought that was keeping in line with the theme, but maybe it wasn't obvious to others.

herios

Medalist
I couldn't disagree more. I loved, loved, loved this dance. It's the only dance that I've cared enough to rewatch multiple times. They had a clear theme that they carried from the moment they stepped onto the ice, had great connection with each other and the audience, and their dance was intricate and had tons of little details that fit right into the theme of the skate. As for the lifts, I loved the one where he does kind of a twist thing. Everything flowed beautifully. The twizzles could've been done a little better (but that's nitpicking), but the dance spin was the only weak element, IMO. Going to Finlandia/Nebelhorn was a really good strategy.

Very true, oleada. Their strategy worked out well, it shows they are the hungriest of all. I always thought P/B were insufficiently trained for the big events. This time around they are focused and rightfully so, as they are running out of time to make the move for the podium and this is it for them. Now the kerr;s and F/S look unprepared and they are at their 4th event this season, therefore their program is already refined.
As far as the theme, works very well for them and it is NOT a Chaplin comedy, indeed she portrays a blind girl.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
CBC only showed Pechalat and Bourzat. I liked their program a lot. It's not as technically good as Davis and White's but I actually find it more interesting. I watched Faiella and Scali, Hoffman and Zavozin, and most of Bobrova and Soloviev's FD on youtube. I really enjoyed the first two, and Bobrova and Soloviev's was good too, it just wasn't as interesting somehow. I prefer their SD. It's too bad Faiella and Scali were having such problems at this competition though!