Pairs - Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs - Short Program

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)S/S ,I thought were pretty rocky as is often the case, early on. Like their costumes, but liked them better without the headband thing.
M-T /M I quite like their program ,For a pairs Zorba.Real kudos to them and coaches for making the great improvement over last year.
D/B.. not totally sold on coaching change yet. How much in the connection improvement is down to the choreography ?Not sure.. Call the costume police, please.

gold12345

Medalist
SS were a little tight today.Some problems when S landed on her throw,but she controlled it.It also seems that Szolkowy also had problems with that SBS 3T but I`m not sure.May they have a good show of their lp debut tomorrow.By the way,I like the 'send in clowns' and 'out of Africa' from last year better.But,I will just show my honorship to this pair for their courage of keeping trying new styles and new technics!Good luck to them for this whole season!

Yes, I do like that S&S try new styles. I think that transition before the SBS 3T is very challenging and might be the reason why she doubled.

zizi

Rinkside
Hope S/S have a better performance in LP!
Good luck to them for this whole season! Win the GPF and the Worlds!

hongligl

Final Flight
I just love the young Chinese team! They were so adorable and full of personality. IMO their performance, transition and interpretation marks should be higher. It was the most exciting program of the competition. I agree that the cheorography is too busy. If I were their coach I would let them skate to a really slow and romantic piece of music just to show that they can go slow:). I think that their skating skills are good too. To be that fast and to pack so many complicated steps and moves into the program must need good skating skills I guess. Anyway, good luck to this very promising team.

I like the first American team too. They interpreted the music very beautifully.
S/S had a few mistakes on the jump, throw and sbs. I gave her credit for landing the throw, excellent save, good for her. I have no problems with them being first. Personally I think that they are too old to try this style. They should try some more mature stuff. Maybe it's just me. I love their LP last year. Hopefully tomorrow we can see something more "age appropriate".
Glad to see the canadian team did well. I like the girl. She's very spunky.
Good competition in general. Worth the wait.

gold12345

Medalist
Another thing... The step sequences in pairs are so painfully slow and labored. Please address this, ISU!

lavender

Record Breaker
I think S/S folk music program was age appropriate. It was a mature version imo and I don't like folk music at all. Everyone's trying to do the footwork that S/S kind of brought to the stage and it looks awful ... slow. I agree with gold12345...ISU need to address this soon. Most teams can't seem to pull this kind of footwork off.

I kind of expected a tight performances from them since it's early in the season.

D/B should go to Yuka and her husband. I think they would have more to offer when it comes to technique which is what they need most imo.

Last edited:

wewe008

Rinkside
S/S: not their best performance,she double her 3T,and their TH 3F seams to be shaky..
S/H: Good speed with lots transitions, that's a very hard program and they did a good job unless the lift
the Canadian pair 's TES is huge, waht happened?

wewe008

Rinkside
I just love the young Chinese team! They were so adorable and full of personality. IMO their performance, transition and interpretation marks should be higher. It was the most exciting program of the competition. I agree that the cheorography is too busy. If I were their coach I would let them skate to a really slow and romantic piece of music just to show that they can go slow:). I think that their skating skills are good too. To be that fast and to pack so many complicated steps and moves into the program must need good skating skills I guess. Anyway, good luck to this very promising team.

I like them too. they are very comfortable and happy on the ice, comparing to Z/Z...(sigh...)
and they are cute too. .

cornell08

Final Flight
Canadians' Zorba program should not have earned a 61....just..no. I would have placed them behind-- in order-- S/S, D/B, S/H.

LLLLutz

Rinkside
Savchenko - interesting program for them, glad they try new directions, but I would agree with one of the posters - it seems to be too childish for their age.
M-T&M - didn't deserve their scores.
Denny-Barret - ok...at least it was almost clean
Sui and partner - are their the next Zhang& Zhang? They only have big twist and throws, everything else lacks the quality of execution, as well as basic skating is weak. Nevertheless they get top pair scores .
Stolbova and partner - good, here is the pair skating. There's a lot of work ahead of them - twist and lifts, but they have the potential and clearly deserved here a higher placement.

LLLLutz

Rinkside

No, their skating skills are very weak, that's why their choreography is so busy. They don't skate to slow and romantic music (and won't skate in close future) cause that would make obvious the lack of flow, edges and lines in they skating.

S/S: not their best performance,she double her 3T,and their TH 3F seams to be shaky..
S/H: Good speed with lots transitions, that's a very hard program and they did a good job unless the lift
S/H danced their program. The tricks were just danced steps. They were drawing me in.

The Canadian Pair need a lot work on selling that Zorba. They could begin by trying to make it a dance and having a rapport with each other.

C/D could use a bit of "SELL". Their rapport is good, but I can't tell if I like the program or not.

UnChosen

On the Ice
S/S: Great program other than the doubled 3T. I like this program better than their "Send in the Clown" program from last season. For some reason Savchenko didn't really seem to be into it, she looked so unhappy at the end :cry: ... maybe its post-olympics syndrome? (P/T also seemed to have the same problem in their programs).

MT/M: Also very nice IMO, the score is a tad high but I think the placement is right IMO.

D/B: Much better connection in comparison to last season :biggrin:, could definitely do better though ;).

S/H: Huge throws! Love their transitions and performance. Pairs skating this season had gotten so mechanical and a tad boring after S/Z left (P/T and S/S both seem to be "out of it"), its these kinds of performances that keeps me awake during the competitions. She really needs to work on her solo jumps though, it doesn't have any height, and their previous performances shows that she isn't that consistent with it.

S/K: Good, but only a double twist. The performance also seem to be a bit flat in my eyes.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

They're able to get the higher level elements, which contributes to their base value (something Denney/Barrett had issues with at NHK, so if that continued here). They had only one error (hand down from her in the SBS triples) but everything else was worthy of a solid (if low, like +1 GOE).

smia

Rinkside
Some problems for S/S but definitely the best in this field.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch- nice energy but I think they were a little overmarked, they need to work on their polish.

Meh to Denney/Barrett, as much as I love John Zimmerman.
I enjoyed Zhang/Toth more than the other American pairs, they were lovely to watch.

Sui/Han - Fun program but a lot of unison problems.. I agree that less busy choreography might serve them better. They need to develop their unison and stroking as one.

Stolbova/Klimov - I liked their program but it'll be hard for them with five or six Russian pairs ahead of them.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Denny and Barrett do have a lot more chemistry this year, but they need polish on almost all the elements. I thought the Japanese pair was underscored despite their very juniorish look and weak skating skills. That program was really tough.

The russians did nothing for me as did the other American pair. I wish Peter Carutters would just stop talking about their height difference. okay, we all see.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch was a lot of fun, i wonder if they can keep it up during the free. She reminds me so much of Caydee Denny.

S/S were clearly the stars of the show, but they didn't quite skate up to par. Her throw was bigger than Pang and Tong. Amazing that she can land that. I think they could have won on that move alone. Love the program for them but they need more speed at the end there when the music speeds up and just sell it a little more. I don't see the fight in them this year as I did before, I wonder if they do have the motivation anymore.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Poor Savchenko and Szolkowy. She looked especially disappointed when they were interviewed on CBC. They're still the best in the field though.

Like someone else said, Caydee and Kristen MT look so much alike. I was surprised D&B were behind MT&M, actually, although D&B had a weak death spiral and a slooow step sequence (like most of the pairs, it seems).

I'm underwhelmed by the pairs competitions in general this season. They're making the most mistkaes.