Ladies - Short Program | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program

Andalusia

Final Flight
The overscoring for Kostner was disgraceful. Kanako, as much as I couldn't stand her choreography, should be in first place. I'd even put Joshi over Carolina. Kostner completed the easiest jumps (and not overwhelmingly well, either), and her presentation isn't so far ahead of the other girls that she should receive a 60+ (!) score for that program.

As for Rachael, I'd give her a slight PCS edge over Caroline, but that was obviously a 2-2 that she did so she should be lower on the first mark.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The overscoring for Kostner was disgraceful. Kanako, as much as I couldn't stand her choreography, should be in first place. I'd even put Joshi over Carolina. Kostner completed the easiest jumps (and not overwhelmingly well, either), and her presentation isn't so far ahead of the other girls that she should receive a 60+ (!) score for that program.

As for Rachael, I'd give her a slight PCS edge over Caroline, but that was obviously a 2-2 that she did so she should be lower on the first mark.

Kanako did a 1a, resulting in -3 GOE because a 2a or 3a is required in the SP. Had she done a 2a, she might have been in 1st. I thought Carolina's speed, flow, and choreo were leaps and bounds better than the others.

janetfan

Match Penalty
3f-2t was nice
3lo was a struggle, landing was shaky with arms a bit wild and it might have been UR
2a was from a complete standstill and covered no ice
Maybe she was a little faster but to me she still seemed painfully slow
Layback spin was gorgeous, other spins were slow and nothing special. Her camel catchfoot position was not pretty.

I thought her score was fair and actually thought it could have been a little lower, maybe close to Mae's. I'm just impressed she can still land her jumps after such a dramatic physical transformation.

It was such a lacklustre SP that it is hard to tell about the scores. Rachael and Caroline are only a point apart but thought they were both given a small hometown boost.

I thought Carolina and Kanako deserved to be scored higher than the others.

brightphoton

Medalist
I've seen a lot of ladies do the camel catchfoot. Hvae the rules changed? Do you get more points for this now?

Andalusia

Final Flight
Kanako did a 1a, resulting in -3 GOE because a 2a or 3a is required in the SP. Had she done a 2a, she might have been in 1st. I thought Carolina's speed, flow, and choreo were leaps and bounds better than the others.

Oops, yes, I forgot about that. But even if Kanako had done a 2A, her score would've been lower than Carolina's and I find that terribly unfair.

Normally, I find Kostner's high marks in the PCS to be less puzzling, but today's performance wasn't deserving of such scores, IMO.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
This was a pathetic event altogether. To have the winner doing a 3t-2t combo is simply laughable. Women skating is sinking in a rapid fashion. Yu Na come back to the rescue, please!!!

I won't blame Carolina for doing that easy combo because she's injured. However, I do agree with you about the level of women skating. It puzzles me a skater can lead with a 3toe-2toe in the short program. That's an international event, with supposedly all elite skaters. To Carolina's credit though, her triple loop was good and artistically she was well above Flatt (but then, her choreography just makes me cringe).

And Flatt's 3toe definitely looked downgraded.

A bit off-topic, but Carolina's dress reminded me of Kwan's outfit at the 2002 GPF (short program)..

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I completely missed this (I thought it was at 6 or 6:30??) but looks like I didn't miss much at all. Thank goodness

And as for overscoring of Kostner- what's new? come on, anyone surprised by that? :laugh: it's just what happens.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
Sad for Caroline. You can definitely tell she's trying, and that flip was such an improvement. In fact, I'm surprised she's had so much negative criticism despite overhauling her technique. The double axel is still pretty bad, but, in my opinion, it does seem a bit higher. Her spins are pretty (although her I-spin has regressed), but I doubt they will ever be as good as they once were. You can't really blame her for that though. She's gone through such a physical change. I'm going to cross my fingers for next season, but I'm not going to expect a miracle. She's got a long way to go, but her patience will be rewarded, at least I hope it will be.

I loved Kanako's performance btw. The kid's got spunk.

Carolina, well, she's Carolina, so I'm not surprised by her scores. Given the lackluster field, I'd say I'm ok with her being in first.

Rachael, well, she's always been consistent, and that's saved her. Without that, she's not any more special than Joshi. Yes, I know, call me un-American, but Rachael bores me to tears.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rolleye: Bias of American viewers towards US ladies isn't surprising either . . . it's just what happens.

christinaskater

Medalist
I love the arm movements and transitions and the footwork of Joshi! Beautiful! So much grace for a big girl

Kanako was lovely, incredible energy, musicality and polish!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I thought the judging was spot on for what was put out their by the ladies. IMO the judges showed no favoritism toward
the US ladies at all, as it should be.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sad for Caroline. You can definitely tell she's trying, and that flip was such an improvement. In fact, I'm surprised she's had so much negative criticism despite overhauling her technique. The double axel is still pretty bad, but, in my opinion, it does seem a bit higher. Her spins are pretty (although her I-spin has regressed), but I doubt they will ever be as good as they once were. You can't really blame her for that though. She's gone through such a physical change. I'm going to cross my fingers for next season, but I'm not going to expect a miracle. She's got a long way to go, but her patience will be rewarded, at least I hope it will be.

She must realize that the reaction won't be immediate and the results won't be instant. So I give her credit for trying and hanging in there.

frauregina

Rinkside
She must realize that the reaction won't be immediate and the results won't be instant. So I give her credit for trying and hanging in there.

Oh true. After her disaster in NHK, if it were last season, I'd expect her to be nervous and broken. But today, wow. She's just smiling in and out of her program. I hope she's like that tomorrow.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay, am I biased or...was Maé robbed??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOO67fxrsI&translated=1

She deserved higher PCS, IMO. And technically, that 3lutz-2toe looked really good to me, plus her 3 loop and 2 axel...Don't tell me giving her below 20 on components for that performance is fair.

Maé WUZ ROBBED!!!

I think so too. I feel she was robbed because she's not very well known by international judges. Hopefully if she continues to compete and deliver performances like she did tonight, that will change in time (hopefully soon). I thought she was great! :love:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
I agree with the Mae comment (about having been slightly robbed). However, relative to the other skaters, her score isn't THAT bad. Nice skater though.

lavender

Record Breaker
I can see why Caroline's pcs may be a little lower. I think Caroline will get better but what set her apart like Mirai seems to have gone bye bye. She's not as fast. She's getting faster but you can see the effort it takes to get across the ice.

christinaskater

Medalist
Carolina has improved a lot in terms of her grace and musicality. In the past, I always felt she was graceful but becomes awkward with her movements but since last year i think there has been marked improvement.

Her presence on the ice (the height, body line and costumes) really help her plus her footwork is magnificent.

I think she is playing it safe in the early competitions because she may think she does not need the big jumps as of the moment and it is definitely wiser for her to play safe to prevent injuries.

Does she deserve to be in first place.........skating is a political sport and do remember she is a multiple European champion and world silver and bronze medalist so she is considered a big name in skating in terms of her achievements and that definitely gives her an edge.

For me it would've been really close between Carolina and Kanako but I'll give the edge to Kanako.

The judges definitely have a knack for skaters with mature presentation .....so it worked for CARO.