Short Program Masterpieces | Golden Skate

Short Program Masterpieces

What a great idea for a thread! Blades, I'm with you on all the Kwan short programs. I just re-watched her 1998 Rachmaninoff, and, as Peggy Fleming said, I forgot it was a short program. The beautiful flow of the choreography, the clever way Nichol mixed the Rachmaninoff piano concerto and a bit of his cello sonata (a sublime piece that isn't well enough known--everyone, head over to YouTube and give the complete sonata a listen if you haven't yet encountered it), and Michelle's astonishing blend of technique and musicality make this one of the pinnacles of skating.

I'm also grateful that Lucinda Ruh was included in this mix. She's a wonderful skater who isn't nearly well known enough. Because her spinning skills so outstripped her jumping ability, she fared better as a pro. I always find her a treat to watch.

The Mao/YuNa collection is wonderful. Seeing Mao's 2006 Grand Prix short program reminds me of what it was like to encounter her at the beginning of her senior career. Can you believe her maturity? She didn't have a trace of juniorish coltishness. Her arm positions were wonderful, as they are today.

Since no one else has provided a link to Sasha Cohen's wonderful Olympic short program from 2002, to the Sentimental Waltz, here it is. I think it belongs in this group.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIie7mouHpQ

herios

Medalist
I have no interest in watching and worshipping old stuff mid season. Yeah they were good, who cares? What I care about is how bad the athletes compete and not able to come up with good performances, when they should. This year is their best opportunity to make a statement and are falling short.

prettykeys

Medalist
My favourites are (all already posted):

YuNa's Tango de Roxanne
Mao's Nocturne
Michelle's Romanza
Michelle's Rachmaninoff - Peggy's so right, it doesn't even feel like a short program.
Sasha's 2006 Olympic SP (sorry I don't know the name of it)

miki88

Medalist
I always enjoy this program - her "reserved elegance" is something that has rarely been equaled and I enjoy it so much more than over the top theatrics we too often see which come off as fake and add nothing to the skating.

I love how she really embraced her heritage in her programs and chose to use Chinese folk music for several of them.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I love how she really embraced her heritage in her programs and chose to use Chinese folk music for several of them.

Yes, I always admired that too. But something else that separates Lu-Lu is that it is her skating itself, her positions, the subtle attention to the nuances in the music is how she was expressing herself.

I see this in Mao at times - where the expression is coming from the movement and body lines and not dependant on overly dramatic facial expressions. We should not confuse too much manufacured facial expressions or pep for artistry. Those qualities are theatrical and can add to a performance but have nothing to do with the skating itself.

I prefer the artistry that comes from the skating and the expression that the blades combined with the body line and positions - whether subtle or powerful - is being used to interpret the music.

miki88

Medalist
Yes, I always admired that too. But something else that separates Lu-Lu is that it is her skating itself, her positions, the subtle attention to the nuances in the music is how she was expressing herself.

I see this in Mao at times - where the expression is coming from the movement and body lines and not dependant on overly dramatic facial expressions. We should not confuse too much manufacured facial expressions or pep for artistry. Those qualities are theatrical and can add to a performance but have nothing to do with the skating itself.

I prefer the artistry that comes from the skating and the expression that the blades combined with the body line and positions - whether subtle or powerful - is being used to interpret the music.

Good post. :) I'm glad I am not the only one who sees the similarities between Lulu and Mao. I feel LuLu is like good wine. Her charisma wasn't as apparent as Baiul or Kwan but her performances becomes better with each reviewing. She's a skater whom I have come to appreciate very much as time goes by. I feel the same with Mao.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice

Yes...
Many people prefer CHEVETTE to CORVETTE for an ovious reason.

Remember?
Chevette owner's proudly showed a sticker on the back of their cars...saying...Chevette is VETTE too !

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Last Longer ?

Good post. :) I'm glad I am not the only one who sees the similarities between Lulu and Mao. I feel LuLu is like good wine. Her charisma wasn't as apparent as Baiul or Kwan but her performances becomes better with each reviewing. She's a skater whom I have come to appreciate very much as time goes by. I feel the same with Mao.

Yes...

One or two Chevettes are still running in New Jersey ... where I live...

janetfan

Match Penalty

If you ever saw Lu-Lu skate Live her abilty to draw a crowd into her program was exceptional.
There was something so beautiful and sublte about her skating and for me there was something very regal about her skating.

Yes, she is one of the few skaters who ever brought a few tears to my eyes - Nagano, the comeback from multiple problems and her bronze medal is what I remember most from '98.
Of course I have blocked out the Gold and Silver results :)

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Thank you for this thread. I'm enjoying all of these.

Yes. :thumbsup:

I have no interest in watching and worshipping old stuff mid season. Yeah they were good, who cares?

No. :disagree:

Obviously a lot of us do have interest so you're likely in a tiny minority. It reminds us of how much we've lost in ladies' skating. Maybe today's judging panels should do something unprecedented, and simply award no medals to the ladies, telling them to go home and watch a selection of Old Masterpieces on Youtube, then revamp their programs and their skating, and return for another try.