Pairs Long Program Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Long Program Thread

amateur

Final Flight
S/H of China were pretty awesome, and so charming! It's my first time seeing them, and I'm impressed. It's wonderful to see a Chinese team so expressive, so early on in their developement. She especially is pretty fabulous, but he is very good too.

ANW

On the Ice
S/H will medal at SA, Congratulations!
Did they just make the history to be the first pair team qualifying both JGPF and GPF?

LeCygne

Final Flight
That is a good look for Caydee Denney. She is the type of girl who can pull off that haircut...

lavender

Record Breaker
My pair S/S has terrible costumes but they match the program...the pink panther. I guess between now and then they will experiment with different themes.

hongligl

Final Flight
S/S skated pretty well. Nice to see them come up with some new moves. Although I don't like the colours of the costumes, she looks really tall in that bodysuit, killer figure.

amateur

Final Flight
S/S - I alternated between loving (once I knew what the music was) and hating the costume. It works well for the sassy parts of the music at the beginning and end, but unfortunately quickly becomes distracting and unelegant for the softer music of the middle section. I find that she (or they) will have to improve her (/their) expression a lot, to really make that costume work. A fun program though, and they seemed to enjoy it, minus a bit of spark which can be understandable post-olympics and early-season. Has she gained flexibility this year?

Last edited:

hongligl

Final Flight
The canadian pair makes me thinking about Beauty and Beast:) Sorry, can't help. He needs a makeover to look more polished.

nodreams

Spectator
SO HAPPY that S&S won the gold and S&H made a medal!
But the scores of S&S is a little bit higher IMO, their jumps were week. Aliona wasn't give her best perform... Also I think it will be much better if they can remove those childish movements (in both sp & lp) and change their terrible costumes ( what a color!) Anyway, a good preformance!
S&H were SO CUTE! They have a lot of passion, that's so exciting to watch them skating! Are they going to the GPF?

B

bingbing

Amazing transitions from S/S!Though they needn`t have cheographied their programs in such a difficult way according to what happened for pairs this season but they did!Despite a few mistakes,every transition and every movement are so difficult and they excellently follow this thouroghly new kind of music for them,reminding me of the lovely 'Barbie Girl'. A fair score,for it`s really very,very difficult to make it.The only serious problem is their terrible hairstyle in SP and their costumes in FS.Need to change,and there is no doubt.
And lovely S/H are just genious!Glad to see they land their 2A-2A and 3T safely ,and another successful throw 4S,though still a little two feet,HAH~They are so active and brilliant!

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
S&H were SO CUTE! They have a lot of passion, that's so exciting to watch them skating! Are they going to the GPF?

They have a 2nd and 3rd place, so it's definitely not guaranteed yet. Usually, a team with a 2nd & 3rd place needs to win a tie-break to get in. But they have a shot.

Wow...I'm scared..puberty.

Haha. It may be a concern because he is so short... He's easily the shortest guy competing at this level right now. And the way they muscle up their lifts-- they will have to adjust that when she's no longer pint sized.

On another note, a couple judges gave Sui & Han -1 GOE on their triple twist, and one judge gave them a +3. :rolleye: I agree with the placements, but giving that twist +3 is just silly.

Oh, and I loved what a departure S&S's free skate was for them! They have never been my favorites at all, but they really keep things interesting. I've never seen so much expression from Aliona!

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They have a 2nd and 3rd place, so it's definitely not guaranteed yet. Usually, a team with a 2nd & 3rd place needs to win a tie-break to get in. But they have a shot.

Tony Wheeler believes they have a pretty good shot at it: http://www.flutzingaround.com/2010/11/pairs-grand-prix-final-qualifiers.html

And I think they do too.

Right now they're in fourth. S/S is likely to win their next event (TEB). Okay that puts them in fifth. B/L is likely to place second in the same event. That gives them 26 points and puts them ahead. (Even a third place finish -- unlikely given the very weak field -- would likely put them ahead because they would likely win on tiebreakers.)

That would put them in the final spot position. Their threats for those spots are Lawrence/Swiegers (CAN--bronze at SC) or Takahashi/Tran (JPN--bronze at NHK)

The situation where they would get bumped off is if L&S and T&T finish 1+2 in Russia next week. That would give them scores of 26 and 24 respectively. The 26 would beat them for sure.

But 1+2 will be tough with K/S there. So let's say they get 2+3, equaling scores of 24 and 22. S/H would beat the 22 point getter and again get into a tie break situation with the 24 point getter-- and will probably win. (I make that assertion because when you average the scores from S/H's two comps, they are higher than the scores posted by L/S + T/T in their respective first comps.)

And by the crazy chance that E/L wins, they would only have 22 points.

So given that there is only one scenario in Russia (and that's assuming everything expected in TEB will happen) that would boot them out, I say S/H are pretty safe for the GPF.

Of course...they are just odds..and ice is slippery even for Moskvina's students...

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
If Sui/Han do end up making the GPF final, it will be interesting to see what the Chinese Federation does as far as having them do one or the other, or both. Frankly, I don't see how they can do both competently. The schedule is:
December 9 21:00 Junior Pairs SP
December 10 20:35 Senior Pairs SP
December 11 15:20 Junior Pairs FS and 20:40 Senior Pairs FS

That's 4 programs in about 48 hour time span. And the long programs are different time durations for jr vs sr. If the Federation chooses one, it may come down to how many world standings points they are likely to get--GPF and probable lower placement, vs JGPF and probably higher placement/medal.

Last edited:
I like Sui/Han and I hate cutesy kids - but they skate as adults so the cutesy does not apply. They are, imo, the best Pairs team in figure skating today.