Ladies - Long Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Long Program

ae9177

On the Ice
Congrats to all the medalists, I'm especially glad that Akiko did so well and made it to the GPF!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am also wondering if Rachael Flatt has a good shot of going to the Grand Prix Final. I personally would like to see her there, but don't know what her chances are at this point.

I think after what happened today, she's safely in. The only thing is if Czisny wins TEB (or places 2nd), then she'll rank above those with 26 points. I don't know if a tie-break would then be necessary or not. Perhaps someone who has kept track of all this can shed some light. I take it that Rachel is all but guaranteed in, though. With her injury, however, who knows if she'll be able to go or not.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think after what happened today, she's safely in. The only thing is if Czisny wins TEB (or places 2nd), then she'll rank above those with 26 points. I don't know if a tie-break would then be necessary or not. Perhaps someone who has kept track of all this can shed some light. I take it that Rachel is all but guaranteed in, though. With her injury, however, who knows if she'll be able to go or not.

I just posted my take on the GPF Ladies Prospects thread. Rachel is pretty safe. As of right now, Ashley is actually on the top six (thanks to the implosions by both Leonova and Markorva).

burntBREAD

Medalist

Rachel is guaranteed. The people who have enough points to have a chance at the GPF only finished 4th at their first GPs (Mirai, Cynthia, Kiira), and thus cannot beat Rachael as their first placement already equals Rachael's two. If Alissa really implodes, though, even Haruka Imai could make it in, and I wouldn't put that past her..hope I'm wrong! :eek::

Can anyone find a video of Agnes/Akiko's FS? The person who uploaded everyone else's didn't upload theirs...or T/T or K/S's FS, for that matter.

Last edited:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
From what I've seen, if the JSF doesn't send Akiko to Worlds as one of their three slots, they are silly. I don't see much case to send Kute Kid Kanako when you've got a pretty solid Adult Lady Akiko. I'm actually seeing more weaknesses right now with Miki and Mao's skating--maybe Kanako should replace one of them if Miki's injury lingers or worsens, or if Mao can't get her act together. Strange world we live in....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
From what I've seen, if the JSF doesn't send Akiko to Worlds as one of their three slots, they are silly. I don't see much case to send Kute Kid Kanako when you've got a pretty solid Adult Lady Akiko. I'm actually seeing more weaknesses right now with Miki and Mao's skating. Strange world we live in....

Japanese nationals is going to be interesting for sure! I think we'll have a better idea when we see Mao at TEB next week.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Too much hype over Ksenia - she is a pleasant skater - but her jumps would make it hard for her to make the Jr GPF let alone senior GPF.

Alena looks lost - typical Russian Ladies, no?

janetfan

Match Penalty
From what I've seen, if the JSF doesn't send Akiko to Worlds as one of their three slots, they are silly. I don't see much case to send Kute Kid Kanako when you've got a pretty solid Adult Lady Akiko. I'm actually seeing more weaknesses right now with Miki and Mao's skating--maybe Kanako should replace one of them if Miki's injury lingers or worsens, or if Mao can't get her act together. Strange world we live in....

Kanako will have her chances - as will Akiko and Miki. One of them will secure a spot with a highest placement at the GPF.
The other spot will be determined at Natls. Assuming Mao is safe no matter how she skates at Natls.

miki88

Medalist
Too much hype over Ksenia - she is a pleasant skater - but her jumps would make it hard for her to make the Jr GPF let alone senior GPF.

Alena looks lost - typical Russian Ladies, no?

Ksenia will most likely be passed by the Russian wonderbabies in a few years.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Ksenia will most likely be passed by the Russian wonderbabies in a few years.

I guess I should have known when Johnny called Ksenia the "next big thing" it was just another one of his flaky comments. :)

The Russian babies have already passed Alena and Ksenia - just a matter of time until they are age eligible for seniors.

seniorita

Record Breaker
What happened and Miki came first??
And what went wrong with russian ladies, I was hoping Makarova to improve from last year, Leonova is a matter of time anyway to dropped off, once the wonderbabies become eligible in seniors.

I obviously lost the competition.:laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Kanako will have her chances - as will Akiko and Miki. One of them will secure a spot with a highest placement at the GPF.
The other spot will be determined at Natls. Assuming Mao is safe no matter how she skates at Natls.

IIRC, I'm not sure if they're doing the GPF requirement this year. I remember reading that in one of the threads somewhere. Can our Japanese friends on the board clarify, please?

lavender

Record Breaker
I guess I should have known when Johnny called Ksenia the "next big thing" it was just another one of his flaky comments.

I stop listening to Johnny when he mentioned his favorite skater. I just knew it was based on other things beside skating. I never got the hype on Ksenia. She's a nice enough skater.

Can't wait til the Russian babies become eligible to see how well they perform. A couple of them have to hit it big.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
It's in this thread. http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Japan-at-Junior-Worlds-11&p=517159#post517159

It will depend on all three factors (GPF placements, Nationals, and ISU ranking).

Yep, in non-Olympic years the federation has the right to choose whomever they wish from the top 3 japanese skaters in those categories. Since we know that the top 3 in the GPS are Miki, Kanako, and Akiko, and that the top 3 in the ISU rankings are Akiko, Miki, and Mao, the above criteria don't confirm anything we don't already know.

If Mao shows a decent performance between TEB and Nationals, I'm assuming it'll be Miki, Mao, and whomever performs better at Nationals between Akiko and Kanako. If Mao doesn't get her jumps back before then, it'll be Miki, Akiko, and Kanako (still a formidable team, IMO).

Sidenote: they always have funky rules for Olympic years. Last season, they had the "top finisher in GPF" rule, and for Torino, they had a points-based system based on cumulative performance in the past Olympic cycle (which is how Miki got in despite not doing too well at Nationals).

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russian babies have already passed Alena and Ksenia - just a matter of time until they are age eligible for seniors.

It's also just a matter of time until their date with Mr. Puberty, everyone's ill favored home wrecker and every little girl's worst nightmare. :no:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I bet Miki changes her SP between now and the GPF. The judges just seem to hate it and are unwilling to give her a good score for it regardless of the jumps she lands. The LP is a snooze but the judges are at least giving her big scores for it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's also just a matter of time until their date with Mr. Puberty, everyone's ill favored home wrecker and every little girl's worst nightmare. :no:

I think it was silverlake, our resident GS puberty expert ;) who said there are too many Russian babies for all of them to fall victim.
But you are right - and actually it will be fun to see how Russian Natls turn out. Their Men are a trainwreck but maybe the Russian-Jersey girl Ksenia can defend her title.

I doubt it though - some of those babies really are good.