Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Program: 6:45 AM Eastern

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
What the ISU need to do is make sure the the value of the jump is correspond to weather it successfully landed or not. And the penalty for a fall should be -2 point from a jump and just -1 point if you fall while skating or other nonjump elements. Which is reasonable considering the first rule of skating is keeping your butt off the ice.

Either that or do not apply any -GOE on failed jumps: just only give 50% of the value if the jump is rotated but fall and less than 50% if its under rotated and fall.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
The reason figure skating is treated as a 'joke/entertainment' sport is becuase of these kind of scenarios, where a skater still land on podium because his/her artistics performance outweighted the athletic part. Nobody will remember or care after 4 minutes, except a handful of fans like us.

seniorita

Record Breaker
What the ISU need to do is make sure the the value of the jump is correspond to weather

:laugh: I must be really tired cause I quoted this because I read that the value of the jump should correspond to the weather...and was ready to say WHAT? :jaw:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason figure skating is treated as a 'joke/entertainment' sport is becuase of these kind of scenarios, where a skater still land on podium because his/her artistics performance outweighted the athletic part. Nobody will remember or care after 4 minutes, except a handful of fans like us.

I don't think that's true. The general public sees this skater falling left and right and winning anyway, and cannot understand how such a result can happen. The usual reaction is that figure skating judging is fixed, and that's a huge turnoff, and it's bad for the sport.

sunny0760

On the Ice
Saw Verner a few days ago and have just seen Chan.

Have not seen Jeremy yet. As a Jeremy fan, I tend to avoid watching his performance in case I know he had a bad day.:disapp:

As for Chan, I had expected very bad performance. I knew that he fell 3 times and that many posters said he was overscored again. What's the point of seeing him this late?

Now, surprisingly, I like his skating even more. Despite 3 falls, I think he deserved high PCS. Love the determination, evergy and attack. Oh, nice 3A-3T!

My opinion may be very different from many posters who are furious about this judging and the scoring system but well, I have every right to like what I like.:)
(I have read almost all the posts in this thread. Thank some of you for some very interesting prospects!)

About this program, what can I say? Haven't many people complained about all the excessiveness of choreo and poor edit of music? What is Lori Nichol thinking?:p

To help excecute more clean program, how about getting some elements out of it? In a general sense, skaters do not need to do such excessive transitions with such intricacy to express music.

But in Chan's case, I don't have an answer. The certainn thing is that I don't care too much three falls here. Maybe Phantom of the Opera itself is excessive, outrageous. Classic, modest, graceful do not fit this. Chan could not skate this clean. I don't know if anyone could do. Who could do? This is destined to make more than a few mistakes. Lori was bad and maybe Chan was too ambitious.:laugh:

Clean, perfect program is good. If a skater projects the essence of music to the audience, it's even better. Chan is not yet so much of a performer but a rare superior technician.

Nevertheless, I like this imperfectness. I read someone says in other blog that this Chan was not the dark Phantom character but a young genius actor who has just become a star as a Phantom role.:laugh:

Chan is my second favorite right now. He is just SO talented, representing some kind of extremeness... I may be biased. I don't know figure skating that much... But my hope is Chan doesn't mind harsh, snarky words toward him. Hope he doesn't mind falls and mistakes. He is 19 years old.