Why do people at the networks do this??? | Golden Skate

Why do people at the networks do this???

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
I was programming my VCRs (yes, I have 2!!!) to tape skating over the weekend (I'll be away). I came up with this dilemma. Per Heather's TV schedule, here is what is on this Sunday 11/30 (all times Eastern):

1:30-3:30 -- Cup of China (mens & ladies long), ABC

4:00-6:00 -- Kristi Yamaguchi's Salute to American Music, NBC

5:00-7:00 -- Trophee Lalique (SP, OD), ESPN

I'm not surprised that Kristi's show and Lalique overlap for 1 hour. That has happened in the past before. However, These are the times are in the Bay Area:

12:30-2:30 -- Cup of China (mens & ladies long), ABC

1:00-3:00 -- Kristi Yamaguchi's Salute to American Music, NBC

2:00-4:00 -- Trophee Lalique (SP, OD), ESPN

So all three programs overlap between 2 and 2:30!!! What I don't understand is that ABC and ESPN are part of the same family of networks and they both broadcast the Grand Prix. You would think the powers that be would make sure that these don't overlap!!!! I really don't have time right now, but I'm thinking of sending them an e-mail regarding the scheduling. I know that if I had TIVO, it wouldn't be a problem - but I don't.

On another note: For those that have access to TV Japan (Channel 245 on Comcast Digital Cable in San Francisco), they will be showing the NHK Trophy this weekend. I'm sure the commentary will be in Japanese, but at least you can watch the skating. Here is the schedule:

Fri 11/28, 12:20 PM-1:35 PM
Fri 11/28, 5:45 PM-6:50 PM
Sat 11/29, 4:55 AM-6:00 AM
Sat 11/29, 11:55 AM-1:05 PM
Sun 11/30, 11:55 AM-1:45 PM (?)

I find this out by accident. I did a search (keywords: figure skating) on the tvguide.com listings and NHK Trophy came up among the shows. Of course, the schedule could change and you may end up watching a Japanese game show :rolleye: :laugh:

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

IceCastles1814

Rinkside
ITA about the coverage and overlap. I was, at the beginning of the season, just going to be greatful that they were showing every GPF event, but the time delay and now this overlap are a bit ridiculous. I have two tv/vcrs available, so I'll be taping the ABC telecast on one and tape the ESPN TL broadcast on the other, and somewhere in between those I can get an hour or so of Kristi's special, lol. I think I will send an email about it too.

Hornblower

Rinkside
My hunch is that the broadcasters pushed a lot of stuff back to make room for specials for this "sweeps" month foolishness. I read a piece by a TV critic a few years ago in which it was said that the networks, the Nielsen company and the advertisers all hate it, but that they keep doing it as an act of herd mentality instead of spending the money to keep detailed ratings going at all times. I would say that they need collective brain transplants.

pairsfan

On the Ice
Please email them:

http://msn.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/index.html

This is the contact page for ABC, ESPN, and ESPN2. I emailed ABC a couple of weeks ago about this. If we don't tell them what we want, we'll never get it. We probably won't get what we want anyway but at least we'll have a chance. You know what they say, "If you don't vote, you have no right to complain."

I'm off to email ESPN.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I've had the "over-lap" problem before.......figure skating often takes a back seat to other programs.........(golf) 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt:

That's when you phone up a close friend or family member and ask if you can "borrow" their VCR - get them to tape the program that is overlapping while you tape the other one.

It's a problem alright. Sometimes we have to make a decision. Or you can also, tape one program and watch the other channel while taping. I have done that before.

windspirit

On the Ice
Hrmsk8ngnutt: Thanks for posting this. I didn't notice that, and I would have a rather unpleasant surprise. :eek:

Btw, is Kristi Yamaguchi's Salute to American Music the same thing as her Salute to Gold (or something like that?)

Ladskater said:
That's when you phone up a close friend or family member and ask if you can "borrow" their VCR - get them to tape the program that is overlapping while you tape the other one.
I haven't find a person so dedicated to not recording commercials as I am yet. :laugh: I even have two VCR home, but only one tv. I'll have to ask friends, but they're not going to watch the broadcast for commercials, that's for sure.

Btw, a little advice for other commercial "hunters": don't press STOP when a commercial comes on, but PAUSE. That way there won't be any "holes", cuts or noises. I've traded tapes with people, so I know that "STOP pressers" are out there. ;)

nymkfan51

Medalist
Herm ... I've given up trying to understand their logic (or lack of it).

One other thing that is so annoying for U.S. fans is that they won't show the ladies SA short programs. And considering that here in the U.S. the ladies are the most popular, you would think they would want the better ratings. Go figure!

The answer for you is many TV's and many VCR's!!! :laugh:

bleuchick

On the Ice
I don't know about you but personally, when it comes to this problem, I am always near a tv, holding a tv remote control and keeping an eye on the vcr. In fact, that pretty much sums up my December - skating and christmas shopping. Of course work too. :rolleye: